Why Do You Hate Whole Foods?

By APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch following x   2013 Aug 8, 11:58pm 17,656 views   73 comments   watch   nsfw   quote     share

I know my reasons for avoiding the place, but I'd like to hear PatNetters own insights into this odious grocer.

« First    « Previous    Comments 34 - 73 of 73    Last »

34   marcus   ignore (10)   2013 Aug 10, 10:40am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I wonder how much of their expensive produce and meats whole food has to throw away, and how much that impacts on price.

THe people that hate whole foods, feel that way because of prices. It's not that they have problems with the quality of food, or the layout of the store or the way they treat their employees.

Personally, I don't shop there as much as I might, because of the prices, but I don't have negative feelings towards them because their model doesn't work better than it does (with respect to competitive prices) for me. In fact I'm quite glad that that amazing store exists.

I know that feeling of shopping there and then checking out, and thinking, what ? That's all I get for $90 ? And yes, I can't afford to shop there all the time. But I don't hate them for that.

There are a lot of things that I get there regularly, and also as others have mentioned,... some things that I'm willing to pay up for every now and then. For example I don't buy beef that much, and when I do, it's not always from WF. But I do really love their grass fed ground beef.

There's also an awesome type of canned tuna you can get there, that's pole caguht, and only cooked once rather than the twice cooked usual canned tuna. Although tuna is another thing I don't eat too often because of the mercury.

I do about half of my food shopping at trader Joes, and the other half is about 2/3 a local local big chain sotre and 1/3 WF. So that's only about 1/6 of my food that I'm buying at WF.

I've notice that some of their WF name brand (generic) packaged items
are priced cometitively, such as OJ, butter, rice crackers, and many other items. As they increase the number of those, it may become possible to get out of there without spending so much more than one wants.

My bottom line: I get it about their prices, and I too can't shop there all the time. But I don't hate them for it.

35   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (41)   2013 Aug 10, 10:53am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The model is clear - keep buying markets so locals are forced to drive or pay their RAPE AMERICA prices.

36   marcus   ignore (10)   2013 Aug 10, 11:22am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

APOCALYPSEFUCK is Shostakovich says

I guess that's one way to look at it, but I don't think that's how it works out for most.

I'm in an urban area where we have several of the biggest chain supermarkets, a couple trader Joes, and a big whole foods, all within 10 minutes, and at least one of each of these within 5 minutes drive.

About 10 years ago, a small whole foods store, which had previously been another type of health food/grocery store, moved to another location that was about 6 times as large. IT's a mega whole foods store.

37   Tenpoundbass   ignore (14)   2013 Aug 11, 2:21am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

komputodo says

My friend once told me that he did pay $5 for 1 tomato at wholefoods. LOL

My wife and I spent $50.00 for one Juicer extractor session, and a salad, last year. When we were on a health kick for all of one day.
Our health kick turned into a kick in the balls by Michele Obama.

"Hey does this salad taste expensive to you... OW my BALLS!"

38   elliemae   ignore (0)   2013 Aug 11, 3:30am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I don't hate WF. However, they don't exist in smaller markets (like my hometown), they're expensive and inconvenient to access in the larger city I go to (Vegas), and the food is expensive.

Growing your own vegetables is more gratifying and easy to do, container plants grow in most areas. My neighbors "steal" my spices because they're great tasting and fresh.

Depending upon the zoning codes, one of the healthiest things you can do is raise your own chickens. The feed isn't expensive, they truly have personalities, and the eggs taste better.

I don't think that there's a huge difference between whole foods products and those offered at the grocery store - I mean, other than the poisons & food additives at the regular place. They do have organic offerings, tho.

39   Robber Baron Elite Scum   ignore (0)   2013 Aug 11, 4:24am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

zzyzzx says

I can't imagine why anyone pays their insane prices.

I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't pay their insane prices.

I love whole foods.

APOCALYPSEFUCK is Shostakovich says

Correct. I created the model.

APOCALYPSEFUCK is Shostakovich says

The Wholly Fucked people bought a small local chain of supermarkets that were near my house and very reasonable, two of their stores any way, and replaced them with FUCK YOU, THE ONION IS $5, BLOW ME, MARKETS FROM HELL. To get comparable prices and quality of my old market I have to drive two towns away and endure a free fire fight in the parking lot to get into the store. The justice department should look into this the way the Comptroller would the divestment of branches of banks during mergers to assure customer access to a competitive marketspace. FUCK YOU FOODS is just nasty. A goto place for some fruit and veg but otherwise the place screams FUCK YOU, BLOW ME! It's the BofA of supermarkets.

I guess I forget to tell you peasants that I went into the Grocery business and decided to use Banking/Financial Services practices in the food industry.

theoakman says

I just hate the snobby Princeton yuppies that permeate it.

I hate them too. They act like they are part of my elite club just because they have 7 more pennies than the cockroach slaves that just have 1 penny.

thedailypr says

I hate whole foods because the meat they supply has no hormones, antibiotics or poison.

How else am I supposed to get my HEALTHCARE!

Sorry for your lack of satisfaction. I believe judging by your exact complaint you are a dirty cockroach disposable peasant.

Whole Foods is not marketed for the indentured slave demographic. We only target Yuppies (still serfs but we like to keep alive a little longer since they are useful idiot pawns) and the elite royalty of America.

As Chairman of Whole Foods and all companies in America... Maybe McDonald's is the right type of food for you?

I'll send you some free samples of poison... So you can decide how you would like to get cancer/heart disease and die from being mass murdered by the stupid arrogant smart-aleck "doctors"?

Tell me if maybe that addressed your concerns... Customer Service is our top priority as-is peasant mass murder.

MsBennet says

One time I went there to buy Non-Slavery Chocolate for baking (for my daughters school)

Yeah... I decided to cut you servants a little slack.komputodo says

My friend once told me that he did pay $5 for 1 tomato at wholefoods. LOL

My friend once paid $50 dollars for one cigar. That's not even food.

$50 dollars is not even 1/1000000 of a penny for us. Maybe for you slaves it's a billion dollars.

CaptainShuddup says

We don't need $7 lattes or a $5 tomatoes.

I completely agree. You are worthless slaves. You don't have the class to appreciate fine food. Much less fine cigars.

I want to beat you ApocalypseFuck... Why don't you come into my corporate boardroom meetings during lunch hour so I can fight you there asshole in front of all my banker buddies?

40   Homeboy   ignore (2)   2013 Aug 11, 6:16am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

There is a place a few miles from me that sells all kinds of produce, and most of it is between 50 cents to a dollar a pound. And the fruit is actually ripe, not that shit where they pick it while it's still green. You have to play shopping cart demolition derby with a bunch of smelly immigrants, but it's worth it. The garbage at the supermarket chains costs 3 times as much and is usually inedible.

41   Homeboy   ignore (2)   2013 Aug 11, 6:17am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

CaptainShuddup says

Our health kick turned into a kick in the balls by Michele Obama.

"Hey does this salad taste expensive to you... OW my BALLS!"

So is your family back on that all Big Mac diet now?

42   Ceffer   ignore (2)   2013 Aug 11, 7:21am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

i say Robber Baron and AF at ten paces with bone tipped bull whips.

43   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (41)   2013 Aug 11, 9:16am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Robber Baron Elite Scum says

Your friends will just have to settle for seeing your eyes ripped out and you subjected to full-throttle post-Cannibal Anarchy skull fucking. I'll sign your skull for them if they bring the wine.

44   rooemoore   ignore (1)   2013 Aug 11, 9:40am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

APOCALYPSEFUCK is Shostakovich says

Yes, let's bring back the communist model of supplying fresh food to the public.

45   New Renter   ignore (11)   2013 Aug 11, 12:04pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

APOCALYPSEFUCK is Shostakovich says

Robber Baron Elite Scum says

Next on Pay-Per-View!

46   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (41)   2013 Aug 11, 12:44pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

New Renter says

Next on Pay-Per-View!

It will brown out half the states when it runs!

47   Robber Baron Elite Scum   ignore (0)   2013 Aug 11, 2:45pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

APOCALYPSEFUCK is Shostakovich says

New Renter says

Next on Pay-Per-View!

It will brown out half the states when it runs!

After I win, I'll have anal sex with your mom on top of your grave at your funeral.

48   HydroCabron   ignore (1)   2013 Aug 11, 3:17pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

Robber Baron Elite Scum says

That merits another tax cut right there!

49   New Renter   ignore (11)   2013 Aug 11, 5:18pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Robber Baron Elite Scum says

APOCALYPSEFUCK is Shostakovich says

New Renter says

Next on Pay-Per-View!

It will brown out half the states when it runs!

That's a different channel altogether!

50   Tenpoundbass   ignore (14)   2013 Aug 11, 11:59pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

StillLooking says

I understand that whole foods encourages Local produce.

Yeah, those same growers that used to sell a brown paper sack full of produce for a whopping $7.00. There's NOTHING redeeming about Whorefoods.

51   marcus   ignore (10)   2013 Aug 12, 12:11am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (2)   quote   flag

CaptainShuddup says

There's NOTHING redeeming about Whorefoods.

I find it ironic that this is the same guy who's favorite thing to gripe about is the cost of health insurance, health care, and how especially pissed he is about attempts at health care reform.

I wonder if there's any connection between what we eat and our health ? (and health care costs for that matter).

People spend progressively less of their household income on food for the last hundred years and progressively more on health care. Hmmmm. Could there be a connection ?

The captain also likes to poke fun at Michelle Obama, for making a first lady issue out of healthy eating. All she's guilty of there is being intelligent and connecting the dots. If she caused a few thousand people to eat a little healthier then that was worthwhile. We can all benefit from being reminded every now and then to think about that.

52   marcus   ignore (10)   2013 Aug 12, 12:18am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (2)   quote   flag

CaptainShuddup says

What about their living (the farmers), and motivating more people to grow organic vegetables. Absolutely no merit in that ?

53   Tenpoundbass   ignore (14)   2013 Aug 12, 12:21am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

marcus says

So you're trying to tell me, that thanks to Wholefoods charging a 500% markup on fresh produce they have saved man from all our health problems?

Are you trying to tell me, that a tomato today from Wholefoods is more healthy than a tomato grown in the last 100 years?

Corn sweeteners are the biggest health chalenge we face today.
Our health is being held hostage by the food conglomerates.

1)Government subsidizes corn grower
2)Monsanto patents a strain of Corn, and that strain of corn mutates and kills all competitors seeds.
3)Armed with Investor money, big corporations buy up food processing plants that had a long history of packaging reasonable food, they then put HFCS in every product they sell.
4)Wholefoods comes along corners the market on any edible healthful produce, and places a large premium on eating shit that wont kill you.

5)People don't care and continue to eat shit.
6)Libs get mad and get Obama elected so his wife can run around the country shaming people for not getting with the program of eating $5 tomatoes and $15 chickens.

Did I mention wages are dropping year over year, since Obama has been in office.

And Oh my God you know what I found out the other day?
Gas is fucking expensive!

But on a plus side we all got insurance now, we just can't afford to get sick, because the copay will bankrupt most.

Good Job Liberals.

So as it turns out...

Obama is not better than Bush.

54   HydroCabron   ignore (1)   2013 Aug 12, 12:38am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

marcus says

Definitely, but your local non-Prius grocer also sells plenty of vegetables and fruits, organic and not. Sprouts, for example, sells produce nearly as good for less money, and often, or maybe always, depending on where you live, buys locally.

A lot of Americans have access to a vegetable-and-fruit, low fat, high-nutrient density food supply. They choose not to eat it due to time constraints and marketing, not because Whole Foods isn't in their neighborhood.

And if you're buying antibiotic-free, non-GMO, gluten/lactose/peanut/arsenic/PCP-free red meat at Whole Foods, you're signing up for cancer and heart disease anyway, since there's possibly no such thing as a diet with too little red meat. Disclaimer: I eat red meat.

BTW, the vegetable section at Whole Foods is usually easy to navigate, since most of their customer base is over in the homeoquackic and prepared-foods area, buying gluten-free desserts and prepared lactose-free non-peanut grass-fed free-range chicken wings, so I don't know that the vegetables are doing most of the Whole Foods patrons any good either.

BTW, I believe that the vegetables at Whole Foods are superior to those at any other place, at not-too-ridiculous prices, considering what you're getting. And, unlike most places, it's good most any time of the week - no need to find out what day the deliveries are.

The first few years I ate a high-nutrient-density, low-calorie diet, I sucked down vegetables from chain supermarkets, and could usually get, say, good spinach if I bought on the right days of the week. I have since moved, and I can get good, but not great, vegetation without going to Whole Foods, though it's harder to time the stores, and Sprouts is not as easy to get to.

The customers at Whole Foods, however, are still douche bags and baguettes - I stand by my remarks in that regard. Life advice: Never get behind a Range Rover or Prius within a 3-block radius of Whole Foods.

55   Tenpoundbass   ignore (14)   2013 Aug 12, 1:26am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (2)   quote   flag

Poor sbh doesn't have a thought in his head.
All he can do is call people names that he disagrees with.
Have pity on him folks, it's the Liberal "condition".

56   BlueSardine   ignore (3)   2013 Aug 12, 2:10am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

You are not paying for the coffee. You are paying for the MILF views...

CaptainShuddup says

Fucking 27 year olds mooching off Mom and Dad, hitting them up for a 20 so they can go to Starbucks, when there's a fresh fucking pot of Maxwell house coffee brewed, sitting on the kitchen counter.

57   BlueSardine   ignore (3)   2013 Aug 12, 2:13am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I love whole foods. It separates me from the scumsucking tattered class.
newsflash: whole food customers are better than you. Yes, we are!!

mmmarvel says

What he said!!! The entire aura, attitude and atomosphere is a 'we're-better-than-you' feeling ... news flash, no you're not.

58   BlueSardine   ignore (3)   2013 Aug 12, 2:17am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

not to mention that they have food samplers at every station...
fresh meat under the heat lamp....fancy cheese and crackers laid out with gold toothpicks...one could eat a complete meal there and not pay a cent!

CL says

I like the quality of their food, for sure. I like their sodas, chips, meat is excellent (even deli meat). Their vegetables are great, as are their deserts and the gelato counter is great!

59   BlueSardine   ignore (3)   2013 Aug 12, 2:19am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Yes, their meat, cheese, and salad bar are superior to every other market. If you just stick to those items for shopping, you won't pay an arm and a leg..

leo707 says

Yeah, they can be expensive, but when comparing like-to-like their prices are really not all that bad. For all the joking about how much vegans love Whole Foods they have a great butcher.

60   Tenpoundbass   ignore (14)   2013 Aug 12, 2:26am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

SoftShell says

whole food customers are better than you. Yes, we are!!

You mean better paying a premium to make your self sick.
If I get a bad case of the Trots, I know it's because I went with the Hop Sing $3.99 lunch special. It must sting like a motherfucker to know you over paid to shit your pants.

61   Tenpoundbass   ignore (14)   2013 Aug 12, 2:31am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Can anyone explain why Trader Joe's and Wholefoods are the names mentioned these days for 90% of the food born illness reported in the news?

I don't think I have heard of Publix or Doris market ever being in the news.
What are the hippies shitting on your salad greens, so it can be called organic?

62   BlueSardine   ignore (3)   2013 Aug 12, 2:40am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

u miss the point.
because they are more expensive, you buy less food.
because you buy less food, you eat less.
because you eat less, you become healthier.
because you are healthier, you pork more often.
because you pork more often, you live to 100.
case closed.

CaptainShuddup says

SoftShell says

whole food customers are better than you. Yes, we are!!

You mean better paying a premium to make your self sick.

63   HydroCabron   ignore (1)   2013 Aug 12, 2:41am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

Trader Joe's sells food?

They must have expanded. I thought they were just a dry pasta, cheese, soda, and wine outlet.

64   StillLooking   ignore (0)   2013 Aug 12, 2:41am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

CaptainShuddup says

Corn sweeteners are the biggest health chalenge we face today.

Our health is being held hostage by the food conglomerates.

1)Government subsidizes corn grower

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

65   Goran_K   ignore (3)   2013 Aug 12, 2:45am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

Is Trader Joes considered unreasonably priced? I find there stuff to be comparable to Ralph's, Von's, Albertson, etc.

Their produce is absolutely fresh and delicious. The only slight complaint I have is that since I have lived my life eating meats processed on corporate farms, when I taste Trader Joe's grass fed beef, I think it taste peculiar and ... not so much unlike a barnyard.

66   Tenpoundbass   ignore (14)   2013 Aug 12, 2:46am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

SoftShell says

case closed.

So you just pay more to be full of shit.
HydroCabron says

Trader Joe's sells food?

How can Trader Joe's help me eat more fruits and vegetables?

We carry a wide variety of dried fruits. Add a handful to your breakfast cereal or oatmeal, or eat as a mid-morning snack. Dried fruits are also nutritious additions to baked goods and salads.

Our frozen fruits make for wonderful toppings for pancakes and waffles. Just defrost, warm if desired and spoon on top.

You'll find many 100% juice options at Trader Joe's. Only 100% juice counts as a serving of fruit or vegetables.

Top our pre-washed, pre-cut, packaged salad mixes with your favorite salad fixins'. Salads make a great addition to lunch or dinner.

Snack on baby carrots and grape tomatoes– try them dipped in one of our delicious salsas, hummus or low fat salad dressings.

In other words they sell processed Shit juice.

67   HEY YOU   ignore (7)   2013 Aug 12, 2:58am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Lazy fuckers complaining about prices,get a third part time job, Assholes.

68   BlueSardine   ignore (3)   2013 Aug 12, 3:31am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

kinda...just less of it.

CaptainShuddup says

SoftShell says

case closed.

So you just pay more to be full of shit.

69   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (41)   2013 Aug 12, 3:37am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

HydroCabron says

Trader Joe's sells food?

What the fuck is Trader Joes? Like a grocery store designed by a toy retailer?

At least at Whole Foods I can buy a $11 onion and go out into the parking lot and bellow FUCKING BLOW ME I BUY OLIGARCH VEGGIES YOU CUNTS!

70   CL   ignore (0)   2013 Aug 12, 4:34am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

APOCALYPSEFUCK is Shostakovich says

What the fuck is Trader Joes? Like a grocery store designed by a toy retailer?

Pretty much. Seems to me TJ's has a lot of frozen crap, little to no sustainable product, less attention to quality.

I'm really never impressed with it, with the exception of 2 buck Chuck, and even then, the best part of that was that it was 2 bucks.

I tried to find a wage comparison, but couldn't. I suspect TJs is paid less. The Wholefoods staff always seem happy, and Mackey is staunchly anti-union. I see many stay at WF for years and years, so I assume they are fairly well-paid.

71   edvard2   ignore (1)   2013 Aug 12, 4:59am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I don't hate whole foods but I don't go there. Mainly because I think their prices are grossly overpriced and I can't stand the snotty attitude there either. I've lived here long enough to know who sells good meat, good vegetables, good bread, and whatever. Sure- I have to go all over the place, but that's what everyone did back in the day.

72   marcus   ignore (10)   2013 Aug 12, 11:16am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

CaptainShuddup says

Our health is being held hostage by the food conglomerates.

Yes, and when you shop at WF or TJ you aren't giving the conglomerates your business.

I don't shop at those stores all the time. But often for convenience and quality I do.

73   Iranian_Oil_Burse   ignore (5)   2013 Aug 12, 11:49am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Hate? WFM is good stock. Beats S&P returns since at least 2002.

« First    « Previous    Comments 34 - 73 of 73    Last »