Discuss Anything

By Patrick following x   2015 Feb 9, 7:43am 252,648 views   457 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

Patrick.net is an uncensored anonymous forum.

I hope to make it pleasant to use while still maintaining everyone's right to speak and to draw a following for their ideas. I especially want to people to have a place to say things they cannot say in person because of family or work or school pressure to conform to the politically correct opinions in their area.

Please read the Patrick.net moderation policy before commenting.

Here are the original articles that made this site famous:

If you don't like this site, please allow me to start your own forum for you where you can personally be in charge of its moderation policies. Complaints about moderation policies will also swiftly be deleted.

Please do talk about news, issues, facts, opinions and everything else under the sun. Comments expressed with sincere good will are especially welcome.

Flag personal comments with the "personal" link by each comment so that they will go into moderation where they will be reviewed by a moderator. Please do not mark comments as personal if they are not about you or the others users. Please do not post personally identifying information about yourself or others. That will be deleted, and you may get banned.

If you're not registered or don't have the "personal" link, please report the personal comment to p@patrick.net by email.

If you ignore another user, you will not see their posts or comments. The ignore link is on their user page. Just click their name or icon to get to their user page.

To get another user's attention, mention him in a comment with an @ character prepended to his username ( for example @Patrick ) and then he will get an email of that comment.

If you include an image URL ending in .jpg, .png, or .gif it will be converted into the visible image in a post or comment.

If you include a YouTube or Vimeo URL, the post or comment will display the video.

These basic html tags work: a b blockquote br code del font hr i iframe img li ol ol p strike sub sup u ul video vsmall

You can also surround a word or phrase with the * character to make it bold or the _ character to make it italic.

You can edit any post or comment you entered within a week of creating it. After a week, content is permanent and will not be deleted.

Please write p@patrick.net with questions or suggestions.

patrick.net has never received a national security letter.

« First    « Previous    Comments 227 - 266 of 457    Next »    Last »

227   TwoScoopsOfSpaceForce   ignore (4)   2018 Apr 12, 7:58am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Deleted two clear personal attacks from two users this AM. One about going to somebody having to go to GNC, the other about mental issues of a user.
228   TwoScoopsOfSpaceForce   ignore (4)   2018 Apr 26, 1:35pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

There's a pretty clear personal insult in my mod queue, but the delete button is gone.
229   Patrick   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 26, 2:48pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@TwoScoopsPlissken was the comment more than a week old?

After a week, a comment can't be deleted, except by me. It can still be marked "personal" and go into the moderation queue though.

I deleted one today from the moderation queue, but can't remember how old it was.
230   TwoScoopsOfSpaceForce   ignore (4)   2018 Apr 26, 4:25pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Hi Pat, not sure. It had a dislike already, didn't check the date. It could have been older.
231   TwoScoopsOfSpaceForce   ignore (4)   2018 Apr 27, 11:44am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Approved Sniper's remarks about Wookie, don't know if it's really "personal" and Wookie said he doesn't particularly care and it seems to be a group thing about milenials vs. a insults at a user.

I'm biased towards approval absent "Go Fuck Yourself, you sniveling shitbag."

So approved, but not 100% sure this is the kind of Convo Pat.net wants/doesn't want since it is about user history and whatnot. Happy to reconsider.
232   TwoScoopsOfSpaceForce   ignore (4)   2018 Apr 27, 11:46am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Okay, so posts along this line are getting thrown to moderation. I leave it in moderation for others to take a look.
233   CBOEtrader   ignore (2)   2018 Apr 27, 11:48am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

yeah, its a childish conversation. even if those two want to have that convo, i'd lean towards deleting it anyways... just to keep the forum focused on actual discussions. dont want this place slipping back into the realm of personal flame wars.
234   Goran_K   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 27, 12:45pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

TwoScoopsPlissken says
I'm biased towards approval absent "Go Fuck Yourself, you sniveling shitbag."

I'm the same way. As long as it's not directly and obviously personal, I let it go through.
235   Patrick   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 27, 12:49pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

CBOEtrader says

I really don't want flame wars. I'm definitely still on the pendulum swing away from "anything goes" towards quickly deleting anything that sounds like a personal attack on other users.
236   TwoScoopsOfSpaceForce   ignore (4)   2018 May 14, 3:52pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

One Edvard comment approved, the other left in moderation for "Shut Up" even though the rest isn't personal.
237   LeonDurham   ignore (0)   2018 Jun 3, 10:39am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

Patrick says

@Patrick--

If you really applied this standard without bias, it would be great. As it is now, it is ridiculous. I challenge you to look at curious2's posts over the past 3 days and tell me how his remain but mine are deleted and I somehow end up in moderation. This website is a joke.
238   MrMagic   ignore (11)   2018 Jun 3, 11:46am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

LeonDurham says

There are no standards anymore, either you're part of the "club", or your not.

I'm in post moderation for doing NOTHING wrong, and no posts deleted, yet past posters (who were deleted) are back under new names attacking other uses with freedom.

Amazing
239   Aphroman   ignore (6)   2018 Jun 3, 12:29pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

LeonDurham says
Patrick says

@Patrick--

Just blame everything on liberals, leftists and democrats and never ever be critical of anything the Republicans do, especially the special snowflake President, and you will be fine with the mods here
240   curious2   ignore (0)   2018 Jun 3, 12:41pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

LeonDurham says

Your comments do remain, including this one:

LeonDurham says
as expected. Run away little man.

If some of your comments are not appearing, you might have blocked scripting or something, but it has nothing to do with me. I have never flagged any of your comments as personal, even though some are, clearly. I had simply stopped responding to you, and you responded to that by taunting me (see above). Now you seem to pursue the matter in other threads. Again, it has nothing to do with me, so I would prefer that you (including your aliases joeyjoejoejr and tatupu70 among others) leave me out of it.
241   Onvacation   ignore (4)   2018 Jun 10, 8:50am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

LeonDurham says
This website is a joke.

Patrick LET you say that.

Argue the topic instead of attacking the person and your posts should be fine.
242   LeonDurham   ignore (0)   2018 Jun 10, 9:12am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

curious2 says

Your comments do remain, including this one:

Nope. Not the ones I was referring to--those are still gone.

curious2 says

The comments were deleted by one of the moderators. It's not a mystery what happened.

How about this--when you start leaving Marcus out of every comment in every thread you post, then I promise to not ever mention your pseudonym.
243   LeonDurham   ignore (0)   2018 Jun 10, 9:13am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Onvacation says
Patrick LET you say that.

Argue the topic instead of attacking the person and your posts should be fine.

Patrick isn't the problem--he doesn't delete for the most part. It's his choice for moderation that is the problem.

If all posts were treated equally and all personal attacks were deleted, then I would be ecstatic.
244   Aphroman   ignore (6)   2018 Jun 10, 10:22am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

LeonDurham says
Onvacation says
Patrick LET you say that.

Argue the topic instead of attacking the person and your posts should be fine.

It’s strange the way some pretend that it’s not a thing. Which points to the larger point, which is at the root of a lot of problems presently, is that you’re left finding yourself debating with a counterpart who is wholly disingenuous. Is it any wonder of the results it produces?

For some it’s obviously inherent and impenetrable, sadly for others it’s a more recent polar reversal that they seem to choose to participate in, that i find alarming. You think you know someone....
245   RafiMaas   ignore (0)   2018 Jun 10, 11:11am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Sniper says

I'm in post moderation for doing NOTHING wrong, and no posts deleted

I, personally, had to mark a post of yours personal 3 times before it finally got deleted!

A reference to someone needing glasses was made. A clear and obvious personal attack. "NOTHING wrong"? You do realize quoting a user then saying someone needs glasses is a personal attack, right?

But what does it say when someone has to mark a post personal, that is personal, 3 times before it doesn't come back? Maybe there should be checks and balances on other users not just the lower level users?
246   Onvacation   ignore (4)   2018 Jun 10, 12:27pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

LeonDurham says

I liked this part of your post.

Trolls and sockpuppets are ubiquitous on the internet. not allowing personal attacks denies them one of their biggest weapons. They still have the strawman, mock outrage, denial of facts, and charts.
247   LeonDurham   ignore (0)   2018 Jun 10, 12:30pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Onvacation says

I know--if Patrick could ban strawman arguments, then we'd really have something.
248   Patrick   ignore (0)   2018 Jun 10, 1:32pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

RafiMaas says

There are 5 moderators plus myself, and they probably all interpret things a big differently.

I'd agree that saying someone needs glasses is personal, and not about the point being argued.
249   Aphroman   ignore (6)   2018 Jun 10, 1:52pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

RafiMaas says
Sniper says

I'm in post moderation for doing NOTHING wrong, and no posts deleted

I had to mark two very blatant personal attacks as personal four times before Patrick showed up and Trumped the mod that was reinstating it. It’s pathetic

Like Patrick always said, it’s of the utmost importance to always speak the truth
250   Aphroman   ignore (6)   2018 Jun 10, 1:54pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Feux Follets says
Patrick says

Understatement

Lol, not the word that first came to mind for me
251   MrMagic   ignore (11)   2018 Jun 22, 8:53pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@Patrick

My posts are not showing up, why?
252   Ceffer   ignore (1)   2018 Jun 22, 11:47pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Golly, what a lot of work keeping people from ad hominem attacks on each other.
253   MrMagic   ignore (11)   2018 Jun 23, 7:50am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Sniper says
@Patrick

My posts are not showing up, why?

@Patrick, still not showing up, is it a glitch in the software?
254   Patrick   ignore (0)   2018 Jun 23, 10:50am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

By "posts", do you mean comments? Clearly those are showing up fine.

I don't think new threads are treated any differently than comments.

I will try to log in as you and create a new thread...
255   Patrick   ignore (0)   2018 Jun 23, 10:55am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Ah, it was an auto-downgrade thing where there were enough comments marked personal to limit your privileges.

I undid that, now you should be the same as before.
256   MrMagic   ignore (11)   2018 Jun 23, 2:12pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says

I thought that might have been it, but when I went back and looked, I didn't see any past comments of mine deleted.

Who was marking them personal?
257   RafiMaas   ignore (0)   2018 Jun 23, 9:52pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Sniper says
Who was marking them personal?

Apparently it was somebody who noticed that you made yet another personal comment. A good way to avoid this is to not make personal comments. It is quite easy.
258   Goran_K   ignore (1)   2018 Jul 9, 11:50am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@Patrick

Hey Patrick, does the "ignore" feature allow posters to disappear from mod view?
259   Patrick   ignore (0)   2018 Jul 9, 4:13pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@Goran_K no, moderators should see all comments in moderation.
260   Goran_K   ignore (1)   2018 Jul 10, 11:10am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says
@Goran_K no, moderators should see all comments in moderation.

@Patrick

I think that's okay but for some reason I'm not able to see the comments of "Aphroman" as I think he put me on ignore after I warned him for a few of his "personal attacks", now he's skating under the radar so-to-speak.
261   CBOEtrader   ignore (2)   2018 Jul 10, 11:30am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Goran_K says
I'm not able to see the comments of "Aphroman" as I think he put me on ignore

can we please eliminate this functionality? noone should be able to edit YOUR pat.net experience. If someone wants to mute their own experience, thats completely different. However, muting someone else's ability to view pat/net posts will destroy users ability to follow conversations and drive them from the site. We are down to a core 50... you dont want 25 of those 50 never seeing what the other 25 are discussing, unless you dont want discussions.
262   Aphroman   ignore (6)   2018 Jul 10, 11:35am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

CBOEtrader says
Goran_K says
I'm not able to see the comments of "Aphroman" as I think he put me on ignore

I had to put the questionable mods on ignore because they were censoring my posts, just because I’m not a Trump Dick Sucker

Your post begs the question, why the fuck bother having mods, there’s only about a dozen people who post here anymore, now that bitter Trumpublicans have run off most all opposing viewpoints
263   CBOEtrader   ignore (2)   2018 Jul 10, 12:21pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Aphroman says
why the fuck bother having mods

because ad hom's are childish and chase away anyone of value. Iwog set a terrible precedent, and frankly I didnt come around this place for years because I was sick of that type of personal flame bullshit.

Aphroman says
bitter Trumpublicans

Trump supporters are winning, thats the opposite of bitter.Aphroman says
run off most all opposing viewpoints

I for one welcome opposing viewpoints. Haven't heard anyone make a decent opposing argument in a while though. Its all "fuck trump" or "republicans are KKK" or "white men are nazis". yeah, people with that level of arguments should be chased off
264   LeonDurham   ignore (0)   2018 Jul 10, 12:40pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

CBOEtrader says

It's really too bad we can't eliminate strawman arguments. They are much worse than name calling, IMO. The above is a great example.

I'd be surprised if CBOE could provide more than a couple examples (if any), yet he feels fine saying that's "all" the arguments because he knows strawman arguments are A-OK at pat.net.
265   Aphroman   ignore (6)   2018 Jul 10, 12:42pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

CBOEtrader says
Aphroman says
why the fuck bother having mods

Aphroman says
bitter Trumpublicans

Trump supporters are winning, thats the opposite of bitter.Aphroman says
run off most all opposing viewpoints

Iwog chased people away, odd it seems the opposite was true. Iwog regularly posed an interesting point of view on important issues of the day. It seemed to draw a wide readership

I think it was much more Ironman who turned a lot of people off by harassing them 24/7. Patrick banned him at least once.

I agree that personal attacks destroy productive conversation, however it’s Team Trumpublicans who seem to always be levying personal attacks against any perceived “enemies”, while people like myself who have no dog in the fight are always the subject of their attacks.

The rules here are pointless because they are not applied equally. There’s a little circle jerk of Right Wingers who seem to think they are winning something by censoring dissenting opinions and attempts to squash alternative viewpoints by hurling personal attacks nonstop, but the only explanation i can figure is that they aren’t actually Real Americans.
266   CBOEtrader   ignore (2)   2018 Jul 10, 12:44pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

removed leon's comment as a personal distraction from this discussion. to leon, id be happy to have that discussion, but start a different thread. this one isnt for flame wars, its for improving pat.net

« First    « Previous    Comments 227 - 266 of 457    Next »    Last »