reply thread

By curious2 following x   2015 Sep 22, 6:55pm 31,023 views   90 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

This thread exists to reply to comments made in other threads that the commenter cannot (or chooses not to) post comments in.

« First    « Previous    Comments 51 - 90 of 90    Last »

51   curious2   ignore (0)   2017 May 31, 1:47am   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

marcus says

You might refrain from lying so much, or from being such a pathetic and hateful little prick.

***

But you're a low integrity dirtbag....

@marcus, rather than encourage you to hijack yet another thread with your egomania, I'm replying in this reply thread. You seem to be trying yet again to make me hate you, and it doesn't work. I remain patient with you, even though your behavior does raise real concerns if you have any exposure to children. Especially when proven obviously wrong, you explode emotionally into the most abusive and baseless attacks and profanity that you can hurl. You struggle even with ordinal numbers, and lack the reasoning ability that teaching math would require. If you did actually care about integrity, you would link to objective evidence and then reason based on that, rather than obsessing and exploding over your own subjective feelings of butthurt.

Here are at least 10 of the many different Users whom you have called "dimbulbs":

Dimbulb....

dimbulb....

this dimbulb....

Another dimbulb....

dimbulbs....

dimbulb....

dimbulb.

Fucking dimbulb.

sociopath...dimbulb.

you dimbulb liars.

dimbulb

dimbulb.

FUCK YOU DIMBULB !!

you pathetic dimbulb.

I could add more, but that would be a waste of time.

52   Dan8267   ignore (3)   2017 May 31, 11:38am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

curious2 says

It's like O'Reilly calling everyone pinheads. Truly, the left and the right are the same.

53   curious2   ignore (0)   2017 Jun 6, 5:22pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

@FP, you fail even at ignoring me, in addition to failing at logic. What motivates your snarky trolling, anyway? What do you gain from it? Is it like when you hire Muslims so their careers depend on you and then you can make fun of their religion? Do you get off on bullying people and making fun of them? I'm really curious, I don't see what you gain by trolling people and saying obviously illogical things. It looks like a complete waste of time, yet you persist.

FP says

non-monkey

curious2 says

FP says

But by your logic....

Patrick has never suggested killing random people.

54   zzyzzx   ignore (1)   2017 Jun 19, 9:34am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

anonymous says

@zzyzzx - Thanks for the replies per Baltimore. Forgot about Fort McHenry - probably could deal with one day or so in the ultra touristy harbor but I had a nice time in Salisbury on a work assignment some time back. The crab cakes etc. were really great so I could definitely get into that again.

If you are in Salisbury, the Zoo there is nice and does not charge admission. If in Baltimore Guinness is building a brewery that will be complete with tours.

What's not clear is whether visitors will want to go to an industrial area in Baltimore to taste an Irish brand, said Bart Watson, chief economist of the Brewers Association. But, he added, Baltimore is easier to get to than Dublin.

"They're clearly betting that they think they can make this succeed," he said.

56   Dan8267   ignore (3)   2017 Jul 5, 7:50am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

curious2 says

"Why sarcasm is such a problem in artificial intelligence"

The solution is simple. For this and all other hard A.I. problems, simply represent the problem as a captcha. Then the spammers will figure out how to solve the problem. Trace back their IPs to their servers and steal their code and make it public domain. Science advances.

57   Dan8267   ignore (3)   2017 Jul 5, 7:51am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

Hmmm, the one down side is that, based on PatNet users, it might be impossible for the general public to detect sarcasm.

58   Ironworker   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 6, 5:04pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Thank you! Great info! I love Portugal. And it's still an option for me. Great surfing too!
59   Ironworker   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 6, 5:13pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Thank you Bay area observer. I'm getting tired of Bay Area.

Are you thinking Portugal too?
60   Ironworker   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 8, 8:57am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Thank you. Yes please pass it along.
61   jazz_music   ignore (4)   2017 Oct 8, 1:03pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

anonymous says
Portugal has always been on my radar as well as numerous locations in Asia

@anonymous:
Can you receive social security and live OCONUS?

What do you do when you need medical attention in Portugal?
62   TwoScoopsOfSpaceForce   ignore (4)   2017 Oct 8, 2:18pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

anonymous says
Can you receive social security and live OCONUS.

This should be disallowed or subject to additional taxes, btw. One of Long's main pillars for his social security program was that retirees would spend the money locally.
63   jazz_music   ignore (4)   2017 Oct 8, 6:27pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@anonymous thank you for your kind reply. My wife discussed this and mentioned that she thinks you can't do it unless you come back periodically (period of months) to an American address which to me would be an undesirable situation.

I would appreciate your email addy. I might send something since I enjoy reading your comments and posts.

TPB is and has been on my ignore list, I burned out on his miserable carping long ago as Captain Shaddup
64   MrMagic   ignore (11)   2017 Oct 8, 8:10pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (4)   quote   flag

anonymous says
will be taking a hiatus from here for awhile

Yes, there is a god.
65   anonymous   ignore (null)   2017 Oct 30, 9:49pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

WookieMan says
@curious2, I've actually wanted to ask this for a while and I'm sure it may have been asked of you already. Why do you make entire paragraphs and like in the case above, the entire comment a link? I'm not sure I've ever really seen someone do it and just wondering if you have a reason for doing it.

Note: This is why I hate text/written words. I'm not trying to be an ass here if it seems like it. No pun intended, but I'm genuinely curious.

@WookieMan, if you want to ask questions that are off topic, or make comments that are off topic, I encourage you to use this reply thread.

Nobody else has asked me that question. I don't even really understand the purpose of the question.

I link to enable readers to click or tap on the excerpt read the whole story. When I make a whole paragraph or comment a link, the purpose is to show clearly that the words come from an external source, and to encourage reading the whole story.

If you hate written words, then some people might wonder why you spend time in a forum that consists mostly of text, which you hate. Patrick is always trying to grow the site, so if you can bring some other way of communicating online that might draw people who hate words, go ahead. One caveat: I like written words, and I dislike videos that launch by themselves, so if you post random videos auto-playing, I might have to ignore you in order to keep my screen stable.
66   curious2   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 1, 6:34pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Rew says
the Russian government isn't looking to form.... Putin seeks....

@Rew, you might really like PBS Frontline's latest report on that topic, but contrast it with Oliver Stone's interviews if you have time.

Rew says
You think suddenly the Navy forgot how to steer the boats?

Since you have asked me a direct question, here is what I think:

"USS FITZGERALD

The collision between Fitzgerald and Crystal was avoidable and resulted from an accumulation of smaller errors over time, ultimately resulting in a lack of adherence to sound navigational practices. Specifically, Fitzgerald's watch teams disregarded established norms of basic contact management and, more importantly, leadership failed to adhere to well-established protocols put in place to prevent collisions. In addition, the ship's triad was absent during an evolution where their experience, guidance and example would have greatly benefited the ship.

USS JOHN S. MCCAIN

The collision between John S. McCain and Alnic MC was also avoidable and resulted primarily from complacency, over-confidence and lack of procedural compliance. A major contributing factor to the collision was sub-standard level of knowledge regarding the operation of the ship control console. In particular, McCain's commanding officer disregarded recommendations from his executive officer, navigator and senior watch officer to set sea and anchor watch teams in a timely fashion to ensure the safe and effective operation of the ship. With regard to procedures, no one on the Bridge watch team, to include the commanding officer and executive officer, were properly trained on how to correctly operate the ship control console during a steering casualty.
"

In addition, I think it would be prudent to avoid asking direct questions when you might not like the answers.
67   WookieMan   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 1, 6:48pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

anon_d327c says

I had no intention of coming across as a jerk. So please don't take it that way. Linking all the text in a paragraph doesn't accomplish that though in my opinion. If I'm using words from an article in my post or comment I'll just do a quote from another user and then copy and paste the content I'm copying from another site, of course deleting the original quote material, and placing the content in between the
tags. That way the content has the typical quote (indented) format that you'd see on most sites. And then just link the source at the beginning or end.

Again, for me this was just a stylistic question. Not saying you're doing it wrong by any means. Your explanation make sense, I'll just be honest that I wouldn't do it that way, but now that you've explained it, I will understand your posts better. Thanks.
68   WookieMan   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 1, 6:49pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Ha! LOL.

Forgot about that.
69   HEYYOU   ignore (18)   2017 Dec 28, 6:13pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

anonymous @ 92
Great link!
“I cannot imagine what you are referring to.”
That cracked me up.
I'll be using that when I do something stupid,which is often.

I'll be 69,12/30/2017. I feel like a child most of the time.
That's what happens when one enter their second childhood.
There are 5 to 10 dear? that come to a salt block that are almost pets & a
covey of quail that are getting use to my wife & I.The quail feed at the chicken coop everyday.
They have taken the place of "Miss Piggy".
70   HEYYOU   ignore (18)   2017 Dec 28, 6:18pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

anonymous says
Tips for overcoming and neutralizing your confirmation bias

Confirming one's bias is a virtue.
DIE! Democrats & Republicans! DIE NOW!
71   Strategist   ignore (3)   2017 Dec 28, 6:22pm   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

HEYYOU says
Confirming one's bias is a virtue.
DIE! Democrats & Republicans! DIE NOW!

You really do need a dog. You are losing it. At 69 you will almost certainly outlive even a puppy. Happy Birthday.
73   Patrick   ignore (0)   2018 Feb 4, 8:06am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I don't know, lol! I don't use Windows myself so it's hard to even test on it.
74   someone else   ignore (0)   2018 Feb 9, 3:56pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (2)   quote   flag

Hi @anonymous I did remove that thread. Insulting the site is insulting me, therefore out of bounds.

If you have constructive comments, I'd love to see them, but simply hating on the site is not doing anyone any good.

Maybe you could try to reach people and figure out why they feel the way they do. Joe Simitian did this brilliantly in his interviews with people who voted for Obama and then for Trump. The answer was that they really didn't want Hillary, especially after she knifed Bernie, and all other considerations were secondary. Simitian was kind of surprised, but it seems pretty obvious to me now.
75   Patrick   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 22, 8:19am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Feux Follets says
If debt is slavery, we are all slaves given the national and ever expanding debt

Yes, we are all slaves to the national debt.

Even if you won't borrow money yourself, they borrow it in your name and tax you to pay the interest.
76   TwoScoopsOfSpaceForce   ignore (4)   2018 Apr 22, 10:55am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

France defaulted multiple times in the 18th and 19th Century and contested the top 3 spots until WW1, and still is a G8 country today.

It'll hurt the Chinese pretty bad though, all those Treasuries they hold.
77   HEYYOU   ignore (18)   2018 May 14, 3:47pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Feux Follets says

This "they" you speak of, are any Democrats & Republicans that the brilliant electorate choose.
Those that vote against their own best interest get what they deserve. It sad that they are only capable of one of two decision,because there are no others.
Watching FOX,following breitbart & Trump rallies/ CNN,MSNBC & Democratic Underground gives one some great examples of brainwashing.

I do respect ~126,000,000 voters determination to defend their brainwashing.
I'm always looking for the best out of the clever ape.
78   curious2   ignore (0)   2018 May 20, 4:39pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Feux Follets says
Steve Jobs was a Republican

Actually, all of his political donations were to Democrats, and Apple employees tend to favor Democrats by a huge margin.
79   TrumpingTits   ignore (0)   2018 May 20, 5:14pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

Patrick says
they borrow it in your name and tax you to pay the interest.

Hence the SOLE reasons (from the bankster's point of view) for the Fed and the income tax. It is no coincidence that both were enacted at the same time.

Pay attention to the bold part below, kiddies. Cause there will be a test later on this.

The Fed exists to create money its owners don't have to loan the money to America to put it into hock. The income tax exists to PAY THE INTEREST (not principle!) on that debt.

It didn't happen over night and those pesky politicians paid down the vast debt the nation built up during WWII. BUT, after dumping the gold standard unleashed the Monster of Usury, the plan kicked into high gear and we have been living under it ever since.
80   Patrick   ignore (0)   2018 May 20, 5:20pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

It's all about forcing people to labor for the benefit of the top 0.001%.

The British were having a hard time getting East African pastoralists to be obedient servants in the 1800's until they imposed a tax on all of them, payable in British silver coins only. Where were cow herders going to get British silver coins? Only by working for their British masters.

We basically have the same thing today. Everyone needs Federal Reserve Notes to pay taxes of various kinds. The only source of these Notes is the Fed. Therefore, everyone indirectly works for the Fed, which is a private corporation, not the government.
81   TrumpingTits   ignore (0)   2018 May 20, 5:32pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

Patrick says
It's all about forcing people to labor for the benefit of the top 0.001%.

Yup. Stefan Molyneux first became a big name on the internet because of his Youtube lecture The Story of Your Enslavement.

This is why the plantation owners actually came out ahead after the slaves were freed and the sharecropping system was implemented.

And why future tech that allows people to become more autarkic -- either in small groups or individually -- will NOT be popular with the PTB. Because more individual ownership/control of the means of production = less monetization of economic activity. Less monetization of economic activity means less revenue from 'human farming'...both private and governmental.

So, the ability for a small group of people to GO GALT! via bootstrapping up an Atomically Precise Manufacturing facility that could produce everything one would need for food, power, clothing, transportation, housing and even -- eventually -- most health care, will not go down well with the Big Boys. Oh they could care less about the less valuable human slaves (welfare recipients, for example). Let them live in favellas under the freeway overpasses for all they care. But the productive folks who decide to stop being good, hardworking debt/tax slaves....no way, Jose!
82   curious2   ignore (0)   2018 May 31, 1:39pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

marcus says
online ugliness promoted by Russian trolls some of which possibly occur as comments here on Patrick.net by people (I ignore) posing as programmers.

Here is a partial list of examples of online ugliness promoted on PatNet by a person posing as a math teacher. Is that a Russian troll?
84   Patrick   ignore (0)   2018 Jun 12, 7:00pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Huh, that should never happen.

It does set a new password when you get that link set and display a message like this:

Your password is ${ password } and you are now logged in

Did you use the new password?
85   Patrick   ignore (0)   2018 Jun 17, 11:45am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Which thread do you mean? You should be able to edit the title of any thread you created.
86   curious2   ignore (0)   2018 Jun 20, 2:18pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says

My politics have already been hijacked by reality. I used to be a leftist true believer who just could not understand how the right was so easily manipulated. Then I started understanding the fundamental self-interest and fears which drive the surface rationalizations on both sides

#MeToo. I remember even signaling virtue by approving of Red Ken's Muslim schools in London, mainly because Margaret Thatcher opposed them. I see now she was right about them.

Many years ago, there was a saying that the further a person is from events, the more likely he is to believe the press coverage; conversely, the nearer to events, the more likely he is to see the errors in the press coverage. I tried to find the exact quotation, but it is buried now under a haystack of recent articles about fake news. BTW, Scott Adams had a really good comment on fake news, balancing outright falsehoods that fool small audiences vs mainstream presentations that are cherry-picked and spun to mislead mass audiences.

In the USA, major parties function similarly to TV networks, aggregating audiences and selling them to corporate sponsors. If you watch the evening "news," you can see a series of misleading stories promoted by public relations firms, interspersed with advertisements for products that would probably make you worse off.

An interesting documentary on the global arms industry included an interview with an arms dealer who said politicians are mostly mid-level sales executives for arms manufacturers. During the Obama administration, a commerce department official proclaimed himself proud that America had 60% of the global arms export market.

Personally, I am either blessed or cursed with a sharp memory. I remember candidate Obama campaigning against "Hillary's Plan," now called Obamacare. I remember Democrats voting against that plan, and voting for him instead. Then, I remember seeing Democrats spin 180 degrees to embrace "Hillary's Plan," now called Obamacare, or Obamneycare, since even President Obama admitted it was the same thing as Romneycare. The Romneycare data disproved all the Democrats' promises about what Obamacare would do: Democrats promised insurance premiums would go down due to fewer emergency hospitalizations, but Romneycare showed both premiums and emergency hospitalizations went up. (Medicare data show most of Medicare's emergency hospitalizations result from Rx drugs, and a PatNet user recounted his own experience going to a hospital emergency room due to a prescribed SSRI.) As I saw Democrats spin 180 degrees, saying the opposite of what they had said just a year before, I saw partisan identity persuaded people much more than obective reality, no matter how thoroughly proved.

Scott Adams wrote about that too, predicting President Trump would change people's perceptions of reality itself. He wrote that people are not evolved to perceive objective reality; people are evolved to believe whatever illusions enable them to survive and reproduce, and those tend to involve agreeing with the tribe.

After seeing through the Democrats' suddenly changed position on health care, I started to see other problems too, e.g. Democrats' support for Islam. Hillary Clinton started the "tradition" of White House iftar dinners, around the same time the Clinton administration bombed America's Serbian allies on behalf of KSA and other Petrodollar states. Russians tried to point out that the Serbians had been allies of the USA during WWII, while the Bozniaks had joined the Nazi SS, but Petrodollars talk louder than history. The Serbs got bombed and prosecuted as war criminals, Islam retained its European territory, and the Clintons and their foundation received tens of million$ of Petrodollars from KSA. Spreading Islam is 180 degrees opposite to everything "liberal" Democrats claim to believe in, and yet it is the policy of the Democratic party.

But now even President Trump, possibly the first President to speak candidly about Islam since John Quincy Adams, celebrated an iftar dinner.

In 1968, at the height of the illegal war in Viet Nam, Gore Vidal said there was no difference between the two major parties because they both get their money from the same sources. At this point, Democrats are more likely to identify as "liberal", and Republicans are more likely to identify as "conservative", but both parties seem neither liberal nor conservative. Two Presidents in a row have doubled the national debt, and the current incumbent seems likely to do the same if he can. Republicans increased federal power with the "Patriot Act", and Democrats went even further with Obamacare. Both parties agree on what matters most to them: consolidate their own power, including especially in the form of revenue/spending.
87   curious2   ignore (0)   2018 Aug 27, 3:58pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@marcus, I wondered whether even to reply to your comment below, but I will reply here rather than push your dishonest thread that you admit was another example of you trolling:

marcus says
Actually, I have to admit that curius2 is right about one thing, that it was a troll. I thought I would try your technique (what you constantly with the word liberals) with Trump supporters. If I understand your response, is it to defend that the protesters aren't neo nazis ?

But yeah the connection to Trump supporters was a total troll. I don't remember the last time I posted a total troll post, it was probably years ago.. Hell, even my regular comments aren't that frequent anymore.

curious2 says
show an emotional obsession with attention/ignorance

I see you can't miss a chance after all these years to spew your hate and inability to forgive me for the couple times I politely corrected intellectual mistakes you made. Sad. But thank you for at least not constantly stalking me like you used to. At least you've learned to control those impulses a little.

I would really appreciate seeing even one example where you "politely corrected intellectual mistakes" that I supposedly made. To the contrary, your comments on PatNet including in this very thread show that you have repeatedly exploded emotionally with baseless insults, profanity, and lies, and demonstrated a failure to comprehend math and logic for example the rules governing ordinal numbers and significant figures. Nobody would bother stalking you, and I have not, but you have repeated that lie for years, even as you used a separate browser to follow my comments while pretending to ignore me. If you can find an example of what you claim, please re-post it.
88   Patrick   ignore (0)   2018 Aug 27, 5:29pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

curious2 says

Great quote. Had not seen that one before, but it gets to the center of politics.

curious2 says

Another great insight. To a large degree, public opinion is created by PR firms, which themselves are very careful to hide in the background. Since there is so little independent journalism these days, it's pretty easy for them to hide.

And it's not just the evening news. Sadly, the NY Times, WaPo, and NPR are also full of stories that our owners want made into "truth", like the deliberately fabricated Russia story. And there is almost complete silence on stories that our owners don't want us to see, like Saudi and Qatari sponsorship of worldwide Islamic terrorism.
89   curious2   ignore (0)   2018 Aug 27, 5:35pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says

Scott Adams wrote it a few different ways in his Dilbert blog, before he switched to vlogging (which I don't watch).

"In a rational world it would be obvious that Trump supporters include lots of brilliant and well-informed people. That fact – as obvious as it would seem – is invisible to the folks who can’t even imagine a world in which their powers of perception could be so wrong. To reconcile their world, they have to imagine all Trump supporters as defective in some moral or cognitive way, or both.

As I often tell you, we all live in our own movies inside our heads. Humans did not evolve with the capability to understand their reality because it was not important to survival. Any illusion that keeps us alive long enough to procreate is good enough.
"

Adams links to Donald Hoffman's theorem on why humans are not evolved to perceive reality:

"Given an arbitrary world and arbitrary fitness functions, an organism that sees reality as it is will never be more fit than an organism of equal complexity that sees none of reality but that is just tuned to fitness."

For example, Muslims tend to have more children than atheists. Muslims are neither more intelligent (statistics say they are on average less intelligent) nor better at perceiving reality, but Islam tunes them to evolutionary fitness (reproduction and killing rivals). The western welfare state is particularly vulnerable to getting taken over by such demographics, because the disadvantages of Islamic dysfunction become less relevant.

« First    « Previous    Comments 51 - 90 of 90    Last »