New sound system for the house....

By joshuatrio following x   2016 Dec 19, 8:40am 6,989 views   27 comments   watch   nsfw   quote     share

I'd like some recommendations for a decent sound system for my house. Not necessarily home theater, but one to play music across the main living area into the kitchen. I'd like it to basically be able to multiple purpose.

My thoughts are that I would like something that doesn't take up a lot of space. I've seen some smaller bookshelf like speakers that look like they might be nice. And even some smaller cube like speakers that would do well speaker mount wise. The bose systems look nice (little cubes), but everything I read indicates that they are a poor buy.

My budget is $1000 or less - to include the receiver.

Disclaimer, I know nothing about speakers/sound quality etc...

1   jazz_music   ignore (12)   2016 Dec 19, 9:19am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I know something about playback systems. Correct Bose is always unreasonable price, they perform well but the price isn't justified.

The listening experience heavily involves listener preferences. In general there is innovation in speaker packaging to allow the decent rendition of bass. Treble is less of a problem unless you're fanatical about treble.

Look for designs which feature the innovations for bass, e.g. going through a tube or folding the bass speakers sound through a scheme which achieves greater depth of cabinet. They call that lensing, because bass requires a lens to achieve not just loudness but accuracy also. Don't you just love tight accurate sounding bass?

2   jazz_music   ignore (12)   2016 Dec 19, 9:20am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Then again a lot of people listening to music really don't care that much about how it sounds. LOL

3   joshuatrio   ignore (0)   2016 Dec 19, 9:35am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

jazz music says

they perform well but the price isn't justified.

That's what I read over and over.

jazz music says

I'd like it to sound nice and clean. Good lows, but I don't need insane thumping bass.

I keep reading good things about polk and klipsch.

4   Ceffer   ignore (2)   2016 Dec 19, 10:34am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Actually, rather than have a built in solution, just using a high quality boom box in a corner of the room does surprisingly well. The corner placement does some acoustic loading of the sound.

A boom box is also mobile. Wireless streaming could stream music from a computer, cell phone, ipod or music server.

You could buy a couple of these that have plug in adaptors, and play music to them from a server or your cell phone/ipod and place the boxes in the best corners in the rooms you want served. When you want to go, just pick them up and take them.

5   HEY YOU   ignore (7)   2016 Dec 19, 10:38am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I think that most sound is dependent on an individuals ears,choice of music.
My EXPERT FREE ADVICE,I charge everyone else, is to listen to different systems,starting with
the least expensive & don't listen to those above your price range because we all have a tendency to
overbuy.
When I moved I sold a really good system that I had pieced together at very cheap prices.
When I got settled in my new shack. I exhausted myself on craigslist,putting a system together.
It was worth the time & price. Before buying used,research repair shops.Sometimes a repair can be cheaper than one may think. Finding an old codgers used system might not be a bad idea.
If you listen to others' systems just agree that they have a nice system & don't let someone talk you into
systems they like.
This is such a subjective decision. GOOD LUCK & TURN IT UP,a little!

6   Entitlemented   ignore (0)   2016 Dec 19, 10:39am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

My budget is $1000 or less - to include the receiver.

Kef Dual Way, Small Arcam Reciever - Mid Fi!

7   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (41)   2016 Dec 19, 11:02am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Mr Trio

Really, seriously. Go with vintage audio for the pre-amp and amp sections and tuners unless you can find one of these: Sony XDR-F1HD HD

Most anything built in the 70s by Pioneer, Nikko, Onkyo, Harmon Kardon will give you a fine result. (From what I gather from technicians versed in the gear of the era, a lot of the Japanese designs were similar because they simply worked with the solid state options of the time which were limited compared to today's incredible catalog.) I had a really old Nikko receiver that needed help, the mid-line, dowdy NR-1015, and the repairman laughed at it - until he opened it. He had his prejudices but he had to admit the tuner section and the turntable pre-amps were really first class.

The new speaker technology, however, is orders of magnitude better than the golden era. One old tech, formerly of a legendary US audio gear developer, told me "today is the golden age of vinyl. We can actually reproduce what's on the record. Iron magnets, paper mache, glue and rubber only have so much flexibility."

Here I ended up with a pair of Paradigm mini monitors that can shake the place, running from vintage Nikko and Apt Corporation power and pre, respectively. They're so neutral I can turn up the FM, go down to the kitchen and prep dinner and hear all the parts of a work being broadcast with clarity.

Get yourself to AudioKarma.org and read up a bit. If you started out with a modest but well-designed vintage receiver and a solid pair of new speakers, you could take your time deciding on sources and still enjoy the FM, especially if there are university stations in your area.

The biggest trouble these days is most audio gear is complete crap until you get into the crazy, overpriced high end, even though parts prices have, if anything, fallen since the glory days of stereo. The speaker market is very competitive, however, and the prices reflect this.

9   jazz_music   ignore (12)   2016 Dec 19, 6:57pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

APOCALYPSEFUCK_is_ADORABLE says

The magic is not only better treble diffusion but that thing about tight bass. When you get the bass tightened up the whole rest of the spectrum becomes stronger too.

Older systems typically have the ability to project strong bass, but it has a flabby character, it tends to blur the other frequencies too.

If you can put one together you can make a Bose-level quality of sound simply with ANY 100 WPC RMS integrated receiver which can be had for poot nowadays. Run that into a satellite-subwoofer system, the subwoofer can even be a passive device.

If you try you can get a highly accurate sounding playback for about $200 which is about one tenth the price of such a system 40 years ago would cost you. AND it's about one tenth what it would cost to buy such a thing from Bose.

The thing that Bose invented 40 years ago was beaucoup watts driving ultra low efficiency speakers in these little ported tuned cabinets and the speakers had monster voice coils to handle all that wattage. (250 WPC @8Ω or 450 WPC@2Ω)

20 or so years later they found out you can lens the bass using folded bass cabinetry, a serpentine path or long tube, then you don't need the beaucoup watts any more. The lensing naturally gives you a better wavefront at the low frequencies to fill the room using less power using physics instead of electronics. Combine that approach with a 20 ft room and you are all the way there.

Maybe good treble got to be more affordable because of the popularity of titanium drivers, better magnets and more commonly understood diffusion gratings.

Piezo tweeters used to give coverage to the high end but sounded bad like bacon frying in a pan.

10   jazz_music   ignore (12)   2016 Dec 19, 6:59pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

APOCALYPSEFUCK_is_ADORABLE says

The speaker market is very competitive

Yes but like the mattress market they sell a lot of snake oil and disinformation and push on your testosterone buttons too.

11   jazz_music   ignore (12)   2016 Dec 19, 7:01pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

And don't let them sell you $85 set of Monster ® speaker wires!!!!!

12   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (41)   2016 Dec 19, 8:09pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

jazz music says

Right. Reading around and being patient can help with that.

I listened to a lot of new stuff, read around but ended up with the cheaper option. With a little modification from an old timer the little Paradigms just work for any literature. The front room, we're running an old Nakamichi through 1990s Polks. Vinyl really shines on both systems.

13   Ceffer   ignore (2)   2016 Dec 19, 8:49pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Paradigms are Canadian speakers, and Canada is one of the few countries that has a state of the art government sound labs that it allows private industry to use to develop sound products without the R&D costs. Thus, the Canadian speaker companies tend to have some very nice products at reasonable prices.

As pointed out, Bose is a waste of money, because you can do much better with the budget and a lot of Bose stuff is simply marketing flog for at best middling product.

14   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (41)   2016 Dec 19, 9:07pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Right, the NRC built a Japanese style focus around acoustic products years and year so.

The Paradigms are a joy. The guy who modded them for me says he can't believe they sell them at a profit given the parts they were using.

Got Wagner's Parsifal on now. Sublime. Just unerringly competent across all literature.

15   anonymous   ignore (null)   2016 Dec 19, 9:22pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Sanyo is about as good as it gets.

16   jazz_music   ignore (12)   2016 Dec 19, 9:29pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

APOCALYPSEFUCK_is_ADORABLE says

NRC built a Japanese style focus around acoustic products years and year so.

The Paradigms are a joy

"NRC," and "Paradigms," these might be words not in my vocabulary.

17   jazz_music   ignore (12)   2016 Dec 19, 9:35pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

APOCALYPSEFUCK_is_ADORABLE says

Wagner's Parsifal

Wow, I looked up Wagner's Parsifal on YouTube and the full concierto is 4:31:38.

That is a long piece!!!

I'm listening to the prelude now albeit just on a MacBookPro, I'm a little classical savy, but not so aware of Wagner's catalogue.

You have a taste for high culture.

18   Philistine   ignore (0)   2016 Dec 19, 9:35pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

APOCALYPSEFUCK_is_ADORABLE says

Wagner's Parsifal

True enough. I prefer certain recordings of Holst's "The Planets", and also the Colgem's pressing of the 1967 'Casino Royale' soundtrack when testing my phonogramophonical apparatus. If it doesn't bounce with Bacharach, it's not fit to fuck. Also, this is on a 1977 shitty JCPenny's turntable (regularly maintained with proper cartridge and needles) and 1999-ish Sony receiver with some liquidation sale 2005-ish Bose tinyspeakers, a subwoofer of similar vintage, and some random crap Kenwood speakers from the late '80s as backup on channel 3 and 4.

Agreed that our ears are our hearts when it comes to the technicality of sound. A correctly sized listening room with pneumatic acoustics goes a long way to making shit sound like Shinola.

19   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (41)   2016 Dec 19, 9:46pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

jazz music says

You have a taste for high culture.

Not so much as I am a radio junkie the likes of which you've never seen. When my blood boils, I go find the record or CD.

20   jazz_music   ignore (12)   2016 Dec 19, 9:48pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Philistine says

ears are our hearts

Ears and hearts are everything when it comes to music.

Philistine says

Bacharach

Hehe I haven't heard that name in a while. Burt Bahcarach and Hal David sure had some major hits through the 60s, 70s and 80s. Pop and bossa but nothing that any hippies would play unless the bride forced them to learn it LOL.

21   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (41)   2016 Dec 19, 9:49pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Philistine says

Actually this sounds like a fantastic rig. Don't knock the Penny - some of those tables were manufactured by Technics (full disclosure: my second TT is a Technics 1200) and Foster, a very credible name in the space.

22   Philistine   ignore (0)   2016 Dec 19, 9:55pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

jazz music says

I haven't heard that name in a while. Burt Bahcarach and Hal David

They were the epitome of the suave Anglo pimp and his prim concubine making sweet nasty music together. Something to get the lady juices flowing on top, but underneath, an instrumental and rhythmic sensibility that got the chthonic bass throbbing. APOCALYPSEFUCK_is_ADORABLE says

Don't knock the Penny

To be fair, I didn't want to go down this rabbit hole so as not to bore the uninitiated. It's an MCS badge, which I was quite sure *was* the Technics manufacture, but not entirely sure. Has sounded and served me well for many coke parties and Count Basie restrospectives.

23   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (41)   2016 Dec 19, 9:59pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Philistine says

It's an MCS badge, which I was quite sure *was* the Technics manufacture

HOTT!

24   joshuatrio   ignore (0)   2016 Dec 20, 3:54am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Anyone heard of ELAC speakers?They seem to have pristine reviews and seem like an incredibly low budget alternative to the high end stuff out there....

Ironman says

That's the first thing you need to figure out, what is the source of the sound. Are you going to stream music (like Pandora, Sirius or some other online source, are you playing saved music (mp3) from a local source, are you streaming music via Bluetooth, playing existing CD's? The source (and recorded quality) plays a BIG part in the final sound. You can't make something sound better if it was recorded low fidelity.

Example, I play music when I'm working and transmit it via Bluetooth from my tablet to my receiver (which is Bluetooth capable). The saved and streamed MP3's sound a hell of a lot better (because I saved them at a higher quality) then when I stream my Sirius music (which I believe is compressed to save bandwith).

MP3 and streaming primarily.

25   joshuatrio   ignore (0)   2016 Dec 20, 3:55am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

APOCALYPSEFUCK_is_ADORABLE says

I'm going to look into older gear ... thanks for the idea.

26   BlueSardine   ignore (3)   2016 Dec 20, 4:14am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I've never heard music referred to as 'literature' before.
Are you perchance listening in braille?

APOCALYPSEFUCK_is_ADORABLE says

Just unerringly competent across all literature.

27   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (41)   2016 Dec 20, 5:37am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Ranina ranina says

I've never heard music referred to as 'literature' before.

Conventional term of art among musicians, though more common among orchestral and chamber players who have to deal with the interpretational dimensions attendant different music's provenance, era, composer, school of composition and the instrumentation contemporary to the time when the music was composed and initially performed.

You may have a part marked FFF for horn in both a Schubert symphony and a Mahler symphony but the approaches to interpreting and performing the pieces would be as different as those separating the guitar styles of a flamenco guitarist like Carlos Montoya and a big band sideman like Bucky Pizzarell. i