Music: What are you listening to this evening?

By jvolstad following x   2017 Mar 20, 8:50pm 36,604 views   474 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

« First    « Previous    Comments 41 - 80 of 474    Next »    Last »

41   Dan8267   ignore (3)   2017 Apr 21, 9:33am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

anonymous says

Sign in to make your opinion count. Sign in 2 Loading... Loading... Loading... Rating is available when the video has been rented. This feature is not available right now. Please try again later. Published on Dec 20, 2015Provided to YouTube by Warner Music GroupMon Cheri Georgia SatellitesOpen All Night 1993 Elektra Entertainment GroupAssistant

@Patrick, I think this is a good reason for PatNet not to try to automatically add a synopsis to a post that contains just a YouTube link. A simple video clip doesn't need text to describe anyway.

42   someone else   ignore (0)   2017 Apr 21, 4:16pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Dan8267 says

Yes, you're right.

OK, done. Will no longer try to extract quotes from Youtube or Vimeo links.

44   HEY YOU   ignore (7)   2017 Apr 21, 9:31pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

They told me to post this.

48   jazz_music   ignore (4)   2017 Apr 27, 10:19pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@Blurtman: Post 60 is a broken link.

50   jazz_music   ignore (4)   2017 Apr 27, 11:09pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@marcus OMG that's depressing!

I almost like it but it feels so bad.

Yikes! This makes Tom Waits seem joyful.

52   jazz_music   ignore (4)   2017 Apr 28, 10:11pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@Hey You Walter Becker laid down a seriously musical guitar solo and super smooth tonality.

55   HEY YOU   ignore (7)   2017 May 3, 3:39pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

jazz music says

separated from reality,

Requirement to post threads or comments.

56   jazz_music   ignore (4)   2017 May 4, 10:49am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

anonymous says

eerie

Yeah, and I don't know who is singing there, not Micky Dolenz or Davey Jones.
WIKI

Mike Nesmith stated, "The first album shows up and I look at it with horror because it makes [us] appear as if we are a rock 'n' roll band. There's no credit for the other musicians. I go completely ballistic, and I say, 'What are you people thinking?' [The powers that be say], 'Well, you know, it's the fantasy.' I say, 'It's not the fantasy. You've crossed the line here! You are now duping the public. They know when they look at the television series that we're not a rock 'n' roll band; it's a show about a rock 'n' roll band. ... nobody for a minute believes that we are somehow this accomplished rock 'n' roll band that got their own television show. ... you putting the record out like this is just beyond the pale." Within a few months of their debut album, Music Supervisor Don Kirshner would be forcibly dismissed and the Monkees would take control as a real band.

I'm old enough and "LA enough" to I remember musicians talking about the casting call, but I was too young and it wasn't the kind of thing I would do. Peter Tork was reportedly living in the Los Feliz area.

58   jazz_music   ignore (4)   2017 May 4, 11:01am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@anonymous, Time Won't Let Me: I love that song ever since I was like 12 years old and went to the big car show with my older brother and saw a band cover it on the stage.

I remember them too, they were and East LA band called The Limelighters and they all wore metalflake lime-green blazers and black slacks on stage.

Horn bands were rare in my experience and they kind of boggled my mind how to keep all those parts together. Then in my late teens I played guitar for 3 very serious rock bands with horns and with congas sometimes too and I still love horns you might say my favorite group is Tower Of Power, an Oakland area band.

59   jazz_music   ignore (4)   2017 May 4, 11:05am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Here it is my favorite Tower Of Power: best with subwoofer system cranked up until the hair on your arms stands up.

It's bump city, babies! Hard funk! Woohoo! Lay It Down!

60   jazz_music   ignore (4)   2017 May 4, 11:10am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@anonymous, Nobody But Me: what a great tune to blast out at a popular college area beer bar like after midnight when the audience is as loud as the band.

61   jazz_music   ignore (4)   2017 May 4, 11:26am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@Blurtman, Wooley Bully. 1963 You know people just get a kick out of the sound of this song and don;'t really care what is being sung.

But the risqué double entendre is definitely there when you read the words

Matty told Hatty, "That's the thing to do.
Get you someone really to pull the wool with you.

This was right near the end of the "dress up in flashy uniform" bands. --which was a big deal especially in he inner city. When guys had to wear a coat and tie to date a girl!

62   jazz_music   ignore (4)   2017 May 4, 11:33am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The FBI investigated this song for obscene lyrics but missed the drummer yelling out "fuck!" @ 0:54 because he drops his drum stick. I don't think they ever banned the song anyways, at least not in the greater Los Angeles area.
The big rumor was that he sang "I stick my finger up the hole of love." Listen to 2:02, it's very audible.

63   jazz_music   ignore (4)   2017 May 4, 12:36pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Louie Louie -ology
Another thing that no one seems to ever know that the singer is talking about taking his girlfriend on a ship back to Jamaica with him.
The calypso versions are so much more musically interesting than the garage-y sounding recordings of the 1960's

Here's the original 1957 version by Richard Berry and the Pharoahs,
The calypso carribean rhythm is exquisite against the beautiful backing vocals and the naive sounding baritone even works somehow magically.

On the other hand there is this yearly Louie Louie festival in Tacoma Washington celebrating the rock and roll that originated from the Pacific Northwest over many years. There were about 29 different versions of Louie Louie recorded AND PUBLISHED when they counted it about 30 years ago.

This version is the all time worst ever. The recording is all distorted there are about 100 guitar players playing the stuff thing roughly, and I do mean roughly, the sax player has 3 notes to play and they are all in the wrong key. Sometime when you happen to see karaoke consider whether or not bad karaoke is more entertaining than good karaoke. Well, this is like that.

64   TwoScoopsOfSpaceForce   ignore (4)   2017 May 4, 7:22pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Didn't know this existed (bad quality)

68   jazz_music   ignore (4)   2017 May 7, 10:22am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

anonymous says

This seems a logical piece

The twin towers coming down didn't surprise me at all that day when I got up for work shaking my head at the TV.

It seems like everybody everywhere is just waiting for the end of the world to come. And when it does we'll all just say uh-huh, yep.

69   jazz_music   ignore (4)   2017 May 7, 10:28am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

anonymous says

This seems to go well

I heard someone say that globalism and the NWO has been coming ever since they laid the first railroad tracks. LOL

70   jazz_music   ignore (4)   2017 May 7, 10:31am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@Blurtman I got that on a CD it's the first album by Pink Floyd wearing mod clothing big collars and cuffs polka dots big belt buckles bell bottoms wide-wail corduroys, suede, fringe and flowers Heheheh.

Very exclusive mod fashions only sold at bourgeois places like the Piccadilly Circus in London and in Hollywood in my early teens. I'm sure somewhere in New York had them too.

There used to be this awesome store on Hollywood Boulevard that sold knee high moccasins, suede vests, jackets and some had humungous fringe and with glass beads on them too. It was called Native Elegance.--nothing like it anywhere AFAIK.

71   jazz_music   ignore (4)   2017 May 7, 2:22pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Iconic Soca from the West Indies.

72   Blurtman   ignore (1)   2017 May 7, 5:05pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

jazz music says

And spoofed on Austin Powers. Syd Barret songs on the first one. Neil Young got into the Indian look in Buffalo Springfield.

73   jazz_music   ignore (4)   2017 May 8, 1:27pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I remember in the late fifties, I was pre-teenage, rock n roll really was exciting just like you see in this movie of Jerry Lee Lewis. LOL He really put on an exciting show too.

Great Balls Of Fire.
Wild One

74   jazz_music   ignore (4)   2017 May 11, 1:51am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

It’s Alright Ma (I’m Only Bleeding)

written in the summer of 1964, 53 years ago

Darkness at the break of noon
Shadows even the silver spoon
The handmade blade, the child's balloon
Eclipses both the sun and moon
To understand you know too soon
There is no sense in trying.

Pointed threats, they bluff with scorn
Suicide remarks are torn
From the fools gold mouthpiece
The hollow horn plays wasted words
Proved to warn
That he not busy being born
Is busy dying.

Temptation's page flies out the door
You follow, find yourself at war
Watch waterfalls of pity roar
You feel to moan but unlike before
You discover
That you'd just be
One more person crying.

So don't fear if you hear
A foreign sound to you ear
It's alright, Ma, I'm only sighing.

As some warn victory, some downfall
Private reasons great or small
Can be seen in the eyes of those that call
To make all that should be killed to crawl

While others say don't hate nothing at all
Except hatred.

Disillusioned words like bullets bark
As human gods aim for their marks

Made everything from toy guns that sparks
To flesh-colored Christs that glow in the dark
It's easy to see without looking too far
That not much is really sacred.

While preachers preach of evil fates
Teachers teach that knowledge waits
Can lead to hundred-dollar plates
Goodness hides behind its gates
But even the President of the United States
Sometimes must have
To stand naked.

An' though the rules of the road have been lodged
It's only people's games that you got to dodge
And it's alright, Ma, I can make it.

Advertising signs that con you
Into thinking you're the one
That can do what's never been done
That can win what's never been won
Meantime life outside goes on
All around you.

You lose yourself, you reappear
You suddenly find you got nothing to fear
Alone you stand without nobody near
When a trembling distant voice, unclear
Startles your sleeping ears to hear
That somebody thinks
They really found you.

A question in your nerves is lit
Yet you know there is no answer fit to satisfy
Insure you not to quit
To keep it in your mind and not forget
That it is not he or she or them or it
That you belong to.

Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools

I got nothing, Ma, to live up to.

For them that must obey authority
That they do not respect in any degree
Who despite their jobs, their destinies
Speak jealously of them that are free
Cultivate their flowers to be
Nothing more than something
They invest in.

While some on principles baptized
To strict party platforms ties
Social clubs in drag disguise
Outsiders they can freely criticize
Tell nothing except who to idolize

And then say God Bless him.

While one who sings with his tongue on fire
Gargles in the rat race choir
Bent out of shape from society's pliers
Cares not to come up any higher
But rather get you down in the hole
That he's in.

But I mean no harm nor put fault
On anyone that lives in a vault
But it's alright, Ma, if I can't please him.

Old lady judges, watch people in pairs
Limited in sex, they dare
To push fake morals, insult and stare
While money doesn't talk, it swears
Obscenity, who really cares
Propaganda, all is phony.

While them that defend what they cannot see
With a killer's pride, security
It blows the minds most bitterly
For them that think death's honesty
Won't fall upon them naturally

Life sometimes must get lonely.

My eyes collide head-on with stuffed graveyards
False gods, I scuff
At pettiness which plays so rough
Walk upside-down inside handcuffs
Kick my legs to crash it off
Say okay, I have had enough
What else can you show me ?

And if my thought-dreams could been seen
They'd probably put my head in a guillotine
But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only.

75   jazz_music   ignore (4)   2017 May 11, 3:06pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Portuguese sounds beautiful when a woman sings
Definado means slightly off key
A duet featuring Ana Belen with Carmen Paris

76   jazz_music   ignore (4)   2017 May 12, 9:32am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

fixed the link above

78   RC2006   ignore (0)   2017 May 12, 9:58am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

David Bowie is one of my favorites, like this guys covers

80   jazz_music   ignore (4)   2017 May 21, 12:11pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@anonymous Savoy Brown Tell Mama guitars all sound great. What an iconic song about leaving the south for opportunity elsewhere. Nice vocals. Some nice changes in there make this their climactic showpiece. Southern through and through.

The CCR is like the best tune they ever did. I never realized the duration of it was only 2:22. Kind of a waste of a great idea there for encores, interludes, changes breaks I bet they used it live to the hilt. After the break one of the guitars strums and it emulates a saxophone backing the rhythm. I like that great tone.

Both as southern rock as it gets.

« First    « Previous    Comments 41 - 80 of 474    Next »    Last »