30 years ago, American women were producing Classic Rock. Today, they're just victims ...

By Rin following x   2017 Aug 8, 2:56pm 2,171 views   21 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

Here's the Bangel's 1987 "Hazy Shade of Winter" ...

Sure, you can say it's so-called "pop" of the times but really, it's pure Classic Rock, with a group of women leading the score instead of oppressive men.

So what's happened since then? Did women suddenly get oppressed and thus, have the rock mantle stolen from them? Or is it that is was easier to be some pop diva, putting out some trash while shaking one's ass, claiming to be objectified by men?

1   Rin   ignore (3)   2017 Aug 8, 3:10pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Hi, my name is Nicki Minaj and I'd gotten a boob and butt job to appease my male listeners.

Please, I'm being oppressed. Pass some laws so that men pay extra palimony and admit that women aren't allowed to play electric guitars to be rockers and are oppressed into being some worthless pop divas.

Really, being a worthless bimbo wasn't my idea.

Seriously, I have talent. I'm the South Asian-Caribbean Black version of Debbie Harry or Donna Summer.

2   Rin   ignore (3)   2017 Aug 8, 3:20pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Rin says

version of Debbie Harry or Donna Summer.

The answer, Nicki Minaj is nowhere close to the aforementioned.

3   CovfefeButDeadly   ignore (4)   2017 Aug 8, 3:40pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I always thought Joan Jett, Pat benatar, the Wilson sisters, Chrissy Hynde, and lita Ford were pretty cool to do so well in male dominated genres.

I wonder if they really know men feel that way.

4   Rin   ignore (3)   2017 Aug 8, 3:44pm   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Fucking White Male says

I wonder if they really know men feel that way.

Dude, those were real artists, not the shit we have today.

Just so you know how close they were, Debbie Harry and Pat Benatar had even toured together, as they were best of friends.

5   Rin   ignore (3)   2017 Aug 8, 3:57pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Here's one from Chrissy Hynde ...

[ sarcasm on ] Look at all the guys preventing from her being a rock lead [ sarcasm off ]

6   theoakman   ignore (0)   2017 Aug 8, 4:40pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Country singer Gretchen Wilson with Alice in Chains/Heart doing Barracuda. This girl rocks.

7   Rin   ignore (3)   2017 Aug 8, 6:02pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

theoakman says

As much as this is a nice cover ... it pales against the original "Heart" sisters of Ann & Nancy Wilson.

Realize, this song was written (and performed) before I was born ...

This is what f*cking American women were, before today's BS.

8   theoakman   ignore (0)   2017 Aug 8, 6:27pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

the only band I listened to the past 15 years that had a female lead singer was this band called Bosnian Rainbows. It was a side project of The Mars Volta's guitarist. This girl rocks as well. They are way too experimental to go mainstream though. Rock is dead.

In the 90s, there were a few that were worth noting.

L7, PJ Harvey, The Breeders, Hole, the Cranberries

9   Rin   ignore (3)   2017 Aug 8, 6:46pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Yes, those 90s acts were good. Here's another from my hometown of Boston, "Letters To Cleo" ...

10   PeopleUnited   ignore (2)   2017 Aug 8, 7:03pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Sign in to make your opinion count. Sign in 515 Loading... Loading... Loading... Rating is available when the video has been rented. This feature is not available right now. Please try again later. Published on Dec 24, 2009Music video by Veruca Salt performing Volcano Girls.

11   HEY YOU   ignore (7)   2017 Aug 8, 8:54pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Completely forgot about the Gretchen Wilson videos with Heart.
Nancy Wilson caressing the six strings.

12   Rin   ignore (3)   2017 Aug 9, 4:44pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

L7's 'Pretend We're Dead' remains me of Joan Jett.

13   jazz_music   ignore (6)   2017 Aug 9, 9:49pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

"Today, they're just victims?"

I'm curious as to what made you say that?

Hit radio is reported on Billboard Hot 100's web site. I don't get that there is a lacking of female hitmakers.

That's why I asked you. I counted about 13 or so on the current week. They are not currently dominating the chart but that is just one chart and I would not say that they are victims although women's lyrics seem to typically range from sexy to sad and throw in some angry too.

14   jazz_music   ignore (6)   2017 Aug 9, 9:56pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

You know classic rock has become this big consumer thing mainly because the major players have acquired all the rights and they don't want to let anything new have much chance so you all get to hear the same 200 songs for 35 years now since the term classic rock was coined in about 1981.

For example, a huge amount of classic R&B and blues was acquired by Ace Records of UK. Their list is huge

15   Rin   ignore (3)   2017 Aug 10, 11:25am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The idea of women being victims is very common. Part of my job is to attend charities and one of the events I've observed involved the donation of electric guitars to women's groups, since the Patriarchy had prevented an "Ellen" Van Halen, "Yvonne" Malmsteen, or a "Joanna" Satriani from becoming a guitar hero.

16   Rin   ignore (3)   2017 Aug 10, 11:28am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

jazz_music says

classic rock has become this big consumer thing

Yes, but the definition of it keeps moving forward as today, U2 & Metallica, by virtue of age, are oldies and get a lot of play on classic rock stations. By 2025, the entire 1990s collection, including Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Green Day, Alanis Morrisette, etc, will be classic rock.

17   theoakman   ignore (0)   2019 Jan 4, 7:26pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

This video showed up on my youtube feed. Had to bump the thread and share the end where Ann Wilson blows everyone off stage. Ann Wilson was indeed an amazing rocker. Fun fact I read, Ann had the same vocal trainer as Chris Cornell and Layne Staley.

18   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (36)   2019 Jan 4, 7:32pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Listen to Dionne Warwick tear into the bridge on Alfie, oh, fuck, yeah, that's a woman.
19   clambo   ignore (4)   2019 Jan 5, 3:46am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I found a CD recently that I like a lot; it's female hits of the 80's

Today there is actually no music that I can determine; it all sucks dog dick.

There was once a move called "Decline of Western Civilization" about the punk music scene, with groups like Black Flag and Fear.

Actually, the decline is now; the most absurd shit is called "rap" these days.
20   willywonka   ignore (0)   2019 Jan 5, 4:47am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Easier to assume an LCD strategy. Brush up on your Dr. Seuss rhymes, throw in a few curse words, boob job, butt job, tats, culturally appropriate Nordic hair color, get some PR going about being a gangster or having a few brushes with the law, and WHAM, instant celebrity, for a time.

The Housing Trap