New version of patrick.net is live!

By Patrick following x   2017 Aug 20, 5:50pm 7,394 views   119 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

You should not notice all that much, maybe a few things will be slightly different, or broken!

Please tell me about broken things: p@patrick.net

Even better, if you know how to fix the broken things, send me a pull request! The source code is all at https://github.com/killelea/node.patrick.net

Comments 1 - 40 of 119     Next »     Last »

1   Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Aug 20, 5:51pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

test of comment
2   Dan8267   ignore (3)   2017 Aug 20, 5:54pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

/uploads/2017/08/1_node_logo.png is not a valid url
3   Dan8267   ignore (3)   2017 Aug 20, 5:54pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Also, I'm "undefined", and that's just a bit too zen for me.
4   Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Aug 20, 5:55pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Yes, already a bug! Where do you see "undefined"?
5   Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Aug 20, 5:55pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Ah yes, when you first submit a comment, you're "undefined" there. Reload the page and it will fill in your name. OK, bug #2 already! Lol.
6   Dan8267   ignore (3)   2017 Aug 20, 6:00pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

- Yes, already a bug! Where do you see "undefined"? It was where the post index is. Also, the quote link is missing, and when you first load the page the CSS aren't applied. They get applied about a second later causing the entire layout to flicker. At least that's how the page loads on Firefox.
7   Dan8267   ignore (3)   2017 Aug 20, 6:01pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (2)   quote

Another major bug: Blue Sardine can still post.
8   Dan8267   ignore (3)   2017 Aug 20, 6:02pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Possible bug, when you submit a comment and then go back to the home page, the thread is marked as "new comments". Confirmed. The new comments feature doesn't realize you read the comment you just wrote.
9   TwoScoopsOfWompWomp   ignore (2)   2017 Aug 20, 6:04pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

I'm not seeing line spacing. When I'm spacing lines. Like this line. But that may be a feature.
10   Dan8267   ignore (3)   2017 Aug 20, 6:04pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Another bug. Blank lines are not translated into paragraph tags. This should be a new paragraph.

Here, let me tried that with explicit paragraph tags.

Another explicit paragraph.

11   Dan8267   ignore (3)   2017 Aug 20, 6:05pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Another bug. Looks like you got a boolean flipped. You can "uncivil" your own posts, but not other people's.
12   Dan8267   ignore (3)   2017 Aug 20, 6:07pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

A lot of images in posts are broken. I think your path to content images is broken. Example: /uploads/2017/08/pe_iraq27p1.jpg is not a valid url
14   Dan8267   ignore (3)   2017 Aug 20, 6:09pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Some user's avatars are not displayed. This also appears to be a broken path issue. I can see my avatar and Patrick's, but not TwoScoopsMcGee's.

/uploads/2017/04/screenshot2017-04-03at5.32.07pm.png is not a valid url
15   Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Aug 20, 6:11pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Oh wow, so many things to fix already! I can do this.
16   Dan8267   ignore (3)   2017 Aug 20, 6:12pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Two more bugs. The home page says "page 1 of NaN". Also clicking the last comment of a thread link gives a bad anchor tag in the url. For example,
patrick.net/post/1309179/new-version-of-patrick-net-is-live#comment-null

Notice the comment number is "null".
17   Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Aug 20, 6:12pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

First bug to fix: get new comment to just show up in the right place without "undefined" as the number.
18   Dan8267   ignore (3)   2017 Aug 20, 6:13pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Also, no next page link on the home page.

The new PatNet site is buggier than the Obamacare site!
19   Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Aug 20, 6:20pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

The old site is still available at http://php.patrick.net but you'd have to log in again to use it.
20   Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Aug 20, 7:08pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

OK, too many bugs, reverting main https://patrick.net to the old php site for now.

21   jazz_music   ignore (2)   2017 Aug 20, 8:08pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

So bizarre I signed up and I have no interest in programming anything but music.

Still I learned that the name JazzMusic is already taken!

Ok I didn't know what the purpose is for the site I was joining.

There was a required interest, so I entered tacos ;-)

I'm about to make some tacos.

Always a good idea.

22   steverbeaver   ignore (1)   2017 Aug 20, 8:32pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Today I had a thought: your forum has opportunity to grow tremendously given the rampant thought-policing on other platforms that is driving people away. I hope this site can grow into something that makes you wealthy! (or, wealthier!).

23   marcus   ignore (1)   2017 Aug 20, 8:39pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Patrick says

I thought you were just really really fast and efficient (after seeing all the bugs earlier).

24   Dan8267   ignore (3)   2017 Aug 20, 9:29pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

marcus says

Please bring back ignore Patrick. IT was better than ban.

Ignore and ban serve two entirely different purposes. There are people I'd ban but not ignore, and people I'd ignore but not ban. They should be independent functions. They are not mutually exclusive.

25   HEY YOU   ignore (7)   2017 Aug 20, 9:46pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

The site would be perfect if it wasn't for the Patnetters.

26   Ceffer   ignore (1)   2017 Aug 21, 12:53am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

The Obnoxiousness Filter erased everybody but me!

27   Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Aug 21, 1:40pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

OK, I fixed the major bugs, and we're back on node now. Please tell me about new bugs here, or write p@patrick.net

marcus says
Please bring back ignore Patrick.

Yes, that's next on the list after I make sure that the node version of the site functions acceptably well.

steverbeaver says

Sure, please send people this way!
28   Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Aug 21, 1:43pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Hmmm, more bugs. Extra blank lines getting inserted in comments, and email address links get munged after edit and save.
29   anonymous   ignore (null)   2017 Aug 21, 1:44pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Munged lol

Great word!
30   Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Aug 21, 1:49pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

And image upload works on my test system, but not on the live server.

Got to revert to php again while figuring this out. :(

31   anonymous   ignore (null)   2017 Aug 21, 1:56pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

So what is this new format?

What changes will we notice

32   HEY YOU   ignore (7)   2017 Aug 21, 2:03pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Ceffer says

The Obnoxiousness Filter erased everybody but me!

None of us would be here it Patrick had an Asshole Filter.
Made someone smile,a little?

33   BlueSardine   ignore (1)   2017 Aug 21, 2:53pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Ahhh triggered before i even post.
Excellent!
Dan8267 says

Another major bug: Blue Sardine can still post.

34   BlueSardine   ignore (1)   2017 Aug 21, 2:55pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Prepost triggering is new...
errc says

So what is this new format?

What changes will we notice

35   BlueSardine   ignore (1)   2017 Aug 21, 3:47pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

No you are not.
What you are is self-evident...

Dan8267 says

Also, I'm "undefined"

36   HEY YOU   ignore (7)   2017 Aug 21, 4:03pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

I keep checking. No ignore,yet?

37   Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Aug 21, 4:56pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

HEY YOU says

I keep checking. No ignore,yet?

Not yet. Just got to get the node version to an acceptable state first.

errc says

So what is this new format?

What changes will we notice

Hopefully very little at first. Comments will be posted without a page reload. Login will happen similarly. Should feel faster.

38   Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Aug 22, 11:29am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

OK, I fixed all the bugs found so far and re-deployed the node version.

So that's what we're all using right now.

I expect something else to be borken (as they say) so please write here and let me know if you find a bug.
39   Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Aug 22, 1:08pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Woohoo! An hour and a half and no new bugs found!
40   Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Aug 22, 1:19pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

I take it back, Dan8267 has some, here: https://patrick.net/post/1302130/?offset=160#comment-1436338
Nothing too bad though.