Back Yard Pond
forgot password / register

reset password

#misc

#housing #investing #politics #random more»
778,884 comments by 11,519 users, 4 online now: Goran_K, jazz_music, komputodo, TwoScoopsMcGee
new post
« prev   misc   next »

Back Yard Pond

By WookieMan following x   2017 Aug 23, 9:09pm 323 views   5 comments   watch   quote     share

So I'm planning a homemade, backyard pond. Not very big, but big enough to ask for some tips. It will be odd shaped, but it will fit in a flat square of about 9'x9'. I'm being serious, layout would be similar to a ball sack rounded area and a peninsula type section. Would like to have some waterfall feature of some sort. Would like to have fish, but if it's a headache in the long run (more than 5 min. a day) I don't want to deal with it. If it's not a big deal for the fish, I would like to plan the build for them. Free form, so digging and using a liner. And finally, tying to keep this cheap. There's no electric nearby and am thinking about solar. So any tips on a pump and simple solar/battery setup.

Fire away my landscaping patnetters. There's some sarcasm above, but if anyone seriously has some tips on small pond building (500 gallons or less) I would appreciate it. I suppose many of you have CA water issues, so this could be the wrong crowd to ask. Oh well.

1 komputodo   ignore (0)   2017 Aug 23, 9:44pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

In case Bill Murray stops by?

2 steverbeaver   ignore (1)   2017 Aug 23, 9:48pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Get a galvanized horse trough. Place in shaded area. Add water pump and sediment filter, create waterfall. Add fish, likely goldfish or something tough and easy to care for. Add nearby bench and décor, preferably bench and cooler within view of said fish. Fill cooler with beer and ice. Enjoy. Tired of tank? Easy to remove.

But hey man you skin that cat how you want. Me, I'm lazy, and seen to many similar projects go unattended. I hear pinterest has that kind of stuff. Good hunting!

3 Tenpoundbass   ignore (6)   2017 Aug 24, 7:29am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Don't just use a black liner and leave it exposed. The sun will heat the water and kill the fish.
Use a liner, lay chicken wire, then put mortar over that. You will need an overhang on each side so the fish can shelter from the direct sunlight.

4 komputodo   ignore (0)   2017 Aug 24, 2:14pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

I once put a small pond in my backyard in the bay area with a liner, pump, filter, and some KOI fish...Then one day a big white bird was alongside the pond. It had eaten all the fish. Could have been an Egret.

5 Tenpoundbass   ignore (6)   2017 Aug 24, 2:16pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

komputodo says

Could have been an Egret.

No that sounds like Floyd!

Comment as anon_6135f or log in at top of page:

users   about   suggestions   source code   contact
topics   best comments   comment jail   old posts by year
10 reasons it's a terrible time to buy
8 groups who lie about the housing market
37 bogus arguments about housing
get a free bumper sticker:

top   bottom   home