Apparently Tesla follows my posts

By Quigley following x   2017 Oct 2, 11:23am 1,645 views   19 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

" Quigley 2017 Sep 24, 7:58am
Send them some solar panels and call it good.
They've thoroughly fucked themselves already. Maybe some personal responsibility will fix the problem. If people are responsible for their own power needs via solar then they might take better care of it."

Only four days later!
1   DASKAA   ignore (3)   2017 Oct 2, 12:49pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Rooftop solar wouldn've survived the hurricane and not many people could afford it anyway, let alone affording both solar system AND powerwall.

But having a $150 100-watt HF solar kit tucked away for emergencies does make sense in disaster-prone areas.
2   Quigley   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 2, 1:33pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The panels aren't that expensive anymore, and produce more power than ever. The problem is now storage and later use, which the Tesla powerwall solves. It's really everything you'd need to be off the grid. And in Puerto Rico, there is no grid.
3   Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Oct 2, 1:43pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Quigley says

And getting cheaper by the day. And the fuel does not have to be delivered by ship. It literally falls from the sky.
4   DASKAA   ignore (3)   2017 Oct 2, 1:52pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Quigley says

Well, it's not like I never priced a solar system: with all credits and such the upfront cost for 7KW installation is in a ballpark of $10-11K (in CA). Add to this $3K for 7KW Powerwall (and subtract California subsidy) and tell me this sounds like a trivial cost for your average PR homeowner (or your average US homeowner for that matter).
5   Booger   ignore (1)   2017 Oct 2, 1:58pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

KimJongUn says
Rooftop solar wouldn've survived the hurricane

I have yet to see any evidence as to how solar panels hold up in a hurricane
6   DASKAA   ignore (3)   2017 Oct 2, 2:00pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Booger says
KimJongUn says
Rooftop solar wouldn've survived the hurricane

I have yet to see any evidence as to how solar panels hold up in a hurricane

When the whole roof is fucking blown away, is there really a separate question on how the panels on top of it hold up? ;)
7   Quigley   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 2, 2:00pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The panels and gear aren't the expensive part. It's the installation costs and buying it from a solar company that hurts the old wallet. I priced it out too. $1000-2000 for 1000-2000watts of panels, mounts maybe another $300, switch control is $500, and wiring isn't that much either. The wall power is from $3500-$5500 depending on how much backup you want (8-14kWh). So your system could go for $5300-8300 depending on capacity. I think if they are looking at a total loss of power indefinitely, some Puerto Rican's could be persuaded to prioritize the expense or take out a loan or something.

In the meantime it's a pretty good option for hospitals or businesses that want power without having to rely on a nonexistent grid.
8   DASKAA   ignore (3)   2017 Oct 2, 2:05pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

True, the cost of panels is at $1 per watt now. But let's not make the installation sound as something trivial. Some people can tackle it as a DIY project, but majority can't. And you still need to involve an electrician to be code-compliant.
9   Quigley   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 2, 2:13pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Hmm, contact an electrician? Wiring any of that should be trivial for a journeyman. Probably even an apprentice could do it.
10   Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Oct 2, 3:30pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

KimJongUn says

I'm getting quotes for around $3.00 per watt for a 8 to 10 kw system installed. Before tax breaks. I like the Sunpower 330 watts per panel mono crystalline solar panels. Im in North San Diego County.
I'll be ready to buy after January. If anyone has information that could help, let me know.
Thanks
11   DASKAA   ignore (3)   2017 Oct 2, 4:02pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Strategist says
I'm getting quotes for around $3.00 per watt for a 8 to 10 kw system installed.

The key word here is "installed". The panels itself are at or slightly below $1 per watt now (w/o any tax credits, rebates, etc.).
12   DASKAA   ignore (3)   2017 Oct 2, 4:03pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Strategist says

Try this site for multiple competing quotes: https://www.energysage.com/
13   Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Oct 2, 4:09pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

KimJongUn says
Strategist says

Try this site for multiple competing quotes: https://www.energysage.com/

Thanks.
14   Quigley   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 2, 4:10pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Mono crystalline panels seem about 1.5x speedier than polycrystalline panels. Also, are you getting any battery backup for that price, @Strategist? The battery backup costs. Might wanna look into the Tesla powerwall as it's very competitively priced.

I'm going back and forth right now between doing a whole house system and doing just a bootleg system for running my pool pump. Sucker accounts for about 2/3 my energy usage, and since I don't have/need AC and my lights and appliances are all low power, I would save a lot by doing that. I figure I can do the bootleg system myself for about 2 grand, but I need to do a few more calculations to be sure I am factoring in enough power draw.
15   Strategist   ignore (1)   2017 Oct 2, 4:17pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Quigley says

Mono Crystalline also looks better. No, I don't want a battery back up. If the need arises in the future, I can always add it then at a lower price.

Quigley says

Yeah, just going on a lower electricity pricing tier will save a lot of money. Let us know how it works out. My brother in law is in the same boat as you, and would benefit with the information.

The Housing Trap