Used cars were more expensive than new cars in communist Poland
communism

Used cars were more expensive than new cars in communist Poland

By Patrick following x   2017 Oct 24, 8:27pm 439 views   15 comments   watch   quote     share

Heard an interesting story today. A Polish guy said that used cars used to cost much more than new cars under the communists.

The reason for this amazing inversion was that only Communist Party members were allowed to buy new cars, and they were given a big discount. They would drive them for a couple of years, and then sell them for several times as much as they paid when the cars were new. Non-party members had no choice but to pay the asking price if they wanted a car, since there was really no other source.

#communism
1 anonymous   ignore (4)   2017 Oct 24, 8:56pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

don't believe everything your hear
2 BayArea   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 24, 8:57pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

^^^

Someone edited my anonymous post above, weird
3 justme   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 24, 8:57pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Analogy: Wall St insiders get to buy the IPO, but regular people have to wait until trading starts in the stock market.
4 BayArea   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 24, 8:58pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

justme says

Spot on sir
5 KimJongUn   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 24, 10:17pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Isn't socialism great?
6 errc   ignore (2)   2017 Oct 24, 11:04pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Used house are more expensive than new houses here in “Capitalist” lol USA
7 APOCALYPSEFUCK_is_ADORABLE   ignore (5)   2017 Oct 25, 12:27am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

This is why AMERICA! needs to disband the Social Security Administration, liquidate the trust and give the proceeds to billionaires tax free to create real wealth!
8 anonymous   ignore (4)   2017 Oct 25, 7:25pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Not the first time I’ve heard this. That is a Trabant pictured by the way. It was a plastic car that symbolized Eastern Bloc

The stories my parents tell of living in communist Poland never get old.
9 BayArea   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 25, 8:02pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

^^^ my anonymous post #1 appeared as #8 a day later.

Patrick, what’s going on :-)
10 Ironworker   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 26, 6:35am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

That cars name is TRABANT. I remember them being everywhere in former Czechoslovakia where I grew up. My father bought a new car in communist era. I am not sure this story is valid.
11 WookieMan   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 26, 7:33am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

errc says
Used house are more expensive than new houses here in “Capitalist” lol USA

Not trying to be a dick, but where is that taking place? I don't think I've seen a resale of a home go for higher than an equal (at least square footage) new construction home. This does not include low income housing. I'd be genuinely interested if this is going on somewhere.
12 Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 26, 7:49am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

BayArea says
^^^

Someone edited my anonymous post above, weird

Woah, that may be a bug with anonymous comments.
13 P N Dr Lo R   ignore (1)   2017 Oct 26, 8:45am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Patrick says
Communist
When people rhapsodize about communism, this is what I want to know: where are communism's T-Birds, Rivieras, Wildcats, Chrysler 300's, everyday Chevrolets and Fords, "a car for every purse and purpose" as Alfred P. Sloan expressed it, that capitalism can churn out by the millions and are so ubiquitous they're taken for granted? Who cares about dialectical materialism when the lumpenproletariat can buy an inexpensive convertible on the used car lot and let the top down.
14 anonymous   ignore (4)   2017 Oct 26, 8:52am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

I have visited several of the eastern block countries in the 80's with my family (I was a kid then). My parents had friends in one of these countries and we have stayed at their place several times and gone to the seaside together. They were not communist members. They were living very comfortable and had a car. In fact almost every house on the street had a garage and a car (mostly Russian Lada or Moskvits, or Czech Skoda). I remember conversations about waiting time to buy a new car. Apparently it depended on the type of car. Some of them (like trabant) you could get almost immediately. For others (Lada) there was a longer wait.

I know that Poland had rough time in the 80's but doubt it was that different from the other soviet block countries. Being a regular member of the communist party was not such a big deal. In some countries they were about 20% of the adult population.

FP here (can't bother to log in)
15 anonymous   ignore (4)   2017 Oct 26, 9:04am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

It is amusing observing the hatred that some folks here display towards the Soviet-era socialism.

First, because if is usually accompanied by a display of embarrassing ignorance.

Second, because for all practical purposes that system has been dead for 28 years.

Instead of knee jerk cold war era virtue signaling, try to see through the propaganda that has been poured into your heads. Maybe your learn something.

FP