Who Gets Amazon HQ2?

#misc

#housing #investing #politics #random more»
778,882 comments by 11,519 users, 2 online now: jazz_music, TwoScoopsMcGee
new post
« prev   misc   next »

Who Gets Amazon HQ2?

By WookieMan following x   2017 Oct 26, 8:30am 405 views   15 comments   watch   quote     share

Not a gambling man, I just don't see how Atlanta is the favorite, at least on this site. I know Atlanta isn't all the bad, but man, it's the South. Not the best source for educated employees without people having to move there from other areas.

My vote is Chicago. Because I would stand to benefit from that. No other thought was put into that thought. Although we have a couple world renowned University's, great transportation (people & freight), two solid airports, cheaper cost of living to comparable large cities and of course Wookieman.

What do ya think Patnet? Who you think wins it?
1 WookieMan   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 26, 8:32am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Oh and I know they matter, but let's not account for the subsidies that some cities have made public since submitting. Pure location and infrastructure decision if you were Amazon's CEO.
3 YesYNot   ignore (1)   2017 Oct 26, 9:58am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

East coast - either Boston or DC/Nova. Both are attractive for prospective employees and have a large workforce in place. Altanta if they are going for cheap cost of living. Are the central States legitimate contenders? I thought they were specifically looking for East Coast.
4 WookieMan   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 26, 9:58am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

rpanic01 says
Denver is my guess.

Yeah, been there twice the past two summers. Didn't use public transportation, so can't speak to that. Otherwise pretty damn cool city and cool/good airport (except taxing from runway 35R/17L). Good pot. It would probably be my top 3 for sure. A little too far West though and redundant/close to the HQ in Seattle already, although I don't know if that's a factor. I'm guessing they'll likely want to be on the East coast or much closer to it compared to Denver. Denver to NYC vs. Chicago to NYC probably is a factor they think about I imagine. Or ATL to NYC, etc.
5 Philistine   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 26, 10:10am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

WookieMan says
I know Atlanta isn't all the bad, but man,

To YYN's point, Atlanta would strictly be a cost play. Cheaper cost of living=paying employees less than you have to pay them to live in NYC, also cheaper office space.

I think the South does not have the Hip and Cool factor for young educated types, but we are at the beginning of a trend of people moving out of overpriced, overpopulated, overrated cities to afford an actual standard of living, buy a house, and support a family without living hand to mouth. An Amazon salary in the South would fit that trend nicely and attract plenty of talent that is young enough to move around the country before they have settled down.

Denver is nice for 8 months out of the year. The other 4 months are what separate the men from the boys and run the carpetbaggers out of town.
6 WookieMan   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 26, 10:47am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

YesYNot says

While it doesn't matter technically, I was basically getting at what you would think would be best for Amazon (excluding any subsidies we know about from certain city's). I know Amazon gets to make the decision. Just trying to get a feel of what others here at Patnet would do. Kind of interested what others think of certain parts of the country, especially considering the skew toward the West coast here at Patnet. It's very(most) likely not going to be on the West coast, so kind of wanted to see what those guys say. Along with others. Just looking to hear some different ideas/arguments why someone might this X location is better then Y.

My bias is Chicago, and I for the most part think it would make the most sense (again I'm biased). While the East coast is loaded with solid and really good Universities, the Midwest is no slouch. Especially with Univ. of Chicago, Univ. of IL and Northwestern all right there near/in Chicago. Factor in some other solid Big 10 uni's with good tech programs nearby (Univ. of Wisconsin, Univ. of Minnesota & Univ. of Michigan & Purdue).

For stocking up warehouses, Chicago is at the center of rail freight. They've built and are building some massive warehouse here in Northern IL (Amazon). So it might be nice to have a secondary HQ near a central point where a lot of stuff coming in from the East or West coast has to be organized and then distributed to the secondary and tertiary markets for future distribution. On the coast (not even Seattle really) you just see the products coming in and may not grasp organizational inadequacies of your centrally located warehouses. Almost anything bulk that Amazon sells (imports) is very likely coming through Chicago at some point via rail. There's a reason the precursors to Amazon made Chicago their headquarters (think Sears, Montgomery Wards, etc).

Also, between Seattle and a potential Chicago HQ, you've got pretty much 95% of the country covered by plane in 2 to 2-1/2 hours. If you go East Coast, you're 5 hours from HQ to HQ, that's nuts if you ask me. But I also don't know how often employees would be needing to make an HQ to HQ trip. A lot at the beginning I imagine. But having access to most major market in 2 hours or less at a moments notice is probably important.

All this said, IL shoots itself in its own foot at the end of the day. While the cost of living is cheaper than the East coast, property taxes are a bear. And it's not getting better anytime soon. State taxes will very likely keep increasing as well. I want Chicago/IL to get it, but I'm also realistic and it's probably not happening.
7 zzyzzx   ignore (1)   2017 Oct 26, 11:09am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

I have no fucking idea. It's a crapshoot. If it comes to Maryland I may leave this state sooner, rather than later.

What will be interesting is to see what immediate repricing people do to any housing that they are currently trying to sell. Think of it as an Amazon tax, but I am expecting to real estate asking listing prices jump pretty quickly at the proposed location when it's announced.

Also, I suspect that they want something farther away from Seattle than Denver. Probably something in the east or midwest.
8 lostand confused   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 26, 11:15am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

WookieMan says

Chicago property taxes, state income taxes-Austin is my bet.
10 lostand confused   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 26, 12:04pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

justme says
Detroit

Do they need target practice for corporate layoff prospects?
11 YesYNot   ignore (1)   2017 Oct 26, 12:26pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Honestly, I don't know what these 50K people are going to do. Do they need to be near transport hubs? I'm assuming that the majority will be in analytics/IT/business development etc. In other words, I don't think that the bulk of them have to be near a shipping/warehouse hub. Have you been researching this? What do you think that they need in a 2nd HQ?
My understanding is that most warehouses are probably near customers. They want to deliver faster and faster, and it doesn't pay to have a bunch of product sitting in Chicago if the customer is on the East or West coast. They are going to store product where it is being sold to the extent practicable.
12 rpanic01   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 26, 12:34pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

YesYNot says
I don't think that the bulk of them have to be near a shipping/warehouse hub

Thats why I thought Denver for communication and travel reasons would be the best bet especially with them getting into more non material products. Denver is the largest U.S. city to offer one-bounce satellite uplinks.
13 joshuatrio   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 26, 6:05pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Philistine says

That's exactly what we did. I actually love it down here. I've never been this relaxed in my life. At the rate I'm going, I'll be retired at 40.
14 BorderPatrol   ignore (0)   2017 Oct 26, 9:45pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Detroit & Atlanta LOL. move there if you enjoy black on X violence.
15 zzyzzx   ignore (1)   2017 Nov 1, 8:35am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Having the headquarters in College Park could cut down Route 1 traffic,

That's some pretty fucked up logic right there!!!

Comment as anon_6135f or log in at top of page:

users   about   suggestions   source code   contact
topics   best comments   comment jail   old posts by year
10 reasons it's a terrible time to buy
8 groups who lie about the housing market
37 bogus arguments about housing
get a free bumper sticker:

top   bottom   home