Wolf Puppies Are Adorable. Then Comes the Call of the Wild.
« prev   Science

Wolf Puppies Are Adorable. Then Comes the Call of the Wild.

By anonymous following x   2017 Nov 1, 2:27am 260 views   8 comments   watch   quote     share

At eight weeks old, they are two feet from nose to tail and must weigh seven or eight pounds. They growl and snap over possession of a much-chewed piece of deer skin. They lick my face like I’m a long-lost friend, or a newfound toy. They are just like dogs, but not quite. They are wolves.

When they are full-grown at around 100 pounds, their jaws will be strong enough to crack moose bones. But because these wolves have been around humans since they were blind, deaf and unable to stand, they will still allow people to be near them, to do veterinary exams, to scratch them behind the ears — if all goes well.

Yet even the humans who raised them must take precautions. If one of the people who has bottle-fed and mothered the wolves practically since birth is injured or feels sick, she won’t enter their pen to prevent a predatory reaction. No one will run to make one of these wolves chase him for fun. No one will pretend to chase the wolf. Every experienced wolf caretaker will stay alert. Because if there’s one thing all wolf and dog specialists I’ve talked to over the years agree on, it is this: No matter how you raise a wolf, you can’t turn it into a dog.

People must spend 24 hours a day, seven days a week, for weeks on end with wolf puppies just to assure them that humans are tolerable. Dog puppies will quickly attach to any human within reach.

Despite all the similarities, something is deeply different in dog genes, or in how and when those genes become active, and scientists are trying to determine exactly what it is.

#Science #Wolves #Dogs

1   Strategist   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 1, 5:12am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Wonderful. Thanks for posting.
2   Sniper   ignore (8)   2017 Nov 1, 6:36pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Feux Follets says
Dog puppies will quickly attach to any human within reach.

That's very true.

Those wolf puppies are cute, but I like my new pup, my partner in crime and sidekick, better!!

3   Strategist   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 1, 6:46pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Sniper says

Beautiful pup. They do say in Washington...."If you want a friend, get a dog"
4   Strategist   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 1, 8:45pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Sniper says
Strategist says
Beautiful pup. They do say in Washington...."If you want a friend, get a dog"

Thanks. That's definitely true. After I had to put my girl down in December because she went into kidney failure and had cancer of the spleen, I wasn't sure I could go back down the road and get another dog. Losing her was the most devastating thing I ever experienced, and I've had dogs all my life. There was a HUGE void in my daily routine with her gone. She was with me all day long.

I wasn't wasn't ready for another "family pet", so I made the decision to get this guy, but he's my "special purpose" dog and "special project". I'm going to see how far I can take him with training and how advanced he can be with different skills.

Although, this crazy puppy stage isn't all that much fun, but hopefully that will be short term. What was I thinking??????

That pup will be your true and loyal friend till the end. My German Shepherd, since we had since she was a pup is now 7 years old with hip problems. She has been on special diet and care, but her lifespan, as per the vets, is 2 or 3 more years. :(
5   Sniper   ignore (8)   2017 Nov 1, 9:53pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Strategist says

Big dogs have shorter lifespans usually, that really sucks. My old girl, a Lab too, was only 10 and the kidney failure came out of nowhere.

I have really high expectations for this little dude, he better come through for me :) He made it through the first round of puppy training, this what I had to do for graduation:

Making dogs wear caps and tassels?? Really??

At least he didn't end up with the pointy, cone shaped hat on and didn't have to sit in the corner :)
6   just_passing_through   ignore (0)   2017 Nov 1, 10:35pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Buddy of mine had a wolf and some other big dogs. That wolf would struggle to stay away from me when I was around. Same with anyone else. It tolerated my pal and seemed to like his wife only. (She was hot, smart woof)

Apparently one day he was trying to get it to go from the backyard into the house, or something like that. It bit him arm and he said it hurt so badly he nearly passed out. Nothing like the bites he's had from big dogs. His wife reacted by opening a gate letting it run off and they never saw it again. Perhaps there is a wolf still running around in San Antonio?

He took it to the beach in the 90s. It was a 4x4 trip down Padre Island from Corpus Christi. It got away one night and we left without it. Later he got a call from a Ranger: It's leash had become logged in the deck boards at the Ranger station and they got his number from the tags. He drove down and picked it up. I don't recall exactly but I think they asked him if it was a wolf. Pretty sure that was totally illegal even in TX during the 90s.
7   HEY YOU   ignore (7)   2017 Nov 2, 12:00am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

I've heard that some wolves wear sheep's clothing.

Comment as anon_2a68a or log in at top of page: