US private sector added 250,000 jobs in Dec, vs estimate of 190,000: ADP

US private sector added 250,000 jobs in Dec, vs estimate of 190,000: ADP

By Sniper following x   2018 Jan 4, 7:37am 1,014 views   48 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

Private sector job creation surged in December as a strong holiday shopping season pushed companies to hire more workers, according to a report Thursday from ADP and Moody's Analytics.

Companies hired 250,000 new workers to close out the year, well above Wall Street expectations of 190,000. The month was the best for job creation since March and topped the 185,000 in November.

Job growth was broad-based, as professional and business services led the way with 72,000 new positions. The education and health services sector was next at 50,000 and trade, transportation and utilities contributed 45,000. Wall Street-related payrolls grew by 19,000.

#economics

« First    « Previous     Comments 9 - 48 of 48     Last »

9   anon_8f378   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 5, 7:39am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

"The labor market ended 2017 with a slight disappointment.
The December jobs report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics showed nonfarm payrolls grew by 148,000 while the unemployment rate stayed steady at 4.1%, slightly missing expectations.
Economists expected nonfarm payrolls grew by 190,000 in December while the unemployment rate was expected to remain at 4.1%. The unemployment rate is currently at the lowest level since December 2000. November’s jobs increase was also revised higher to 252,000 from an initial print of 228,000."

"Wages were another major focus of this report, which showed average hourly earnings rising 0.3% over last month and 2.5% over the prior year. Expectations were for increases of 0.3% and 2.5%, respectively.
The relative lack of wage growth in the economy has been a surprise to many economists given the low level of unemployment. Friday’s report continues this trend of wage growth that is decent, but not accelerating as some have expected."
10   Sniper   ignore (10)   2018 Jan 5, 7:56am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

LinkedIn report finds a 24.2% rise in December hiring as growth in Sun Belt cities booms.

U.S. employers hired more people in December than a year ago, and cities in the Sun Belt are showing solid hiring growth, according to the LinkedIn Workforce Report.

Hiring across the U.S. was 24.2 percent higher last month than a year earlier, the data showed.

"2017 was a phenomenal year for hiring," Dan Roth, LinkedIn editor-in-chief, told CNBC's "Squawk Box." So, every month it's going to get harder to see where the growth is going to come from."

LinkedIn found hiring growth in Houston, Phoenix and Dallas-Fort Worth was outperforming the rest of the country. Hiring in Houston, which was devastated by Hurricane Harvey in late summer, grew by 14.6 percent from 2016 to 2017 compared with the U.S. average of 10.4 percent. Phoenix's was 14 percent, while Dallas-Fort Worth gained 11.7 percent.

The sectors with the biggest year-over-year increases in December were financial services and insurance, up 23.1 percent, aerospace, automotive and transportation, up 22.2 percent, and architecture and engineering, up 21.1 percent.

LinkedIn's report is compiled from its more than 143 million user profiles in the U.S and 20,000 company profiles. LinkedIn has more than 11 million active job listings globally and has more than 3 million new job listings added in the U.S. every month.

11   TwoScoopsPlissken   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 9, 11:35pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Here's some more Jobs on the way.

BREAKING: Japanese automakers Toyota, Mazda pick Alabama for $1.6 billion manufacturing plant, person briefed on situation says.

— The Associated Press (@AP) January 9, 2018

13   Goran_K   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 10, 8:16am   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

anon_604a7 says
Economy always recovers regardless of who’s president.

Right. So that's why every major liberal leftist personality was "selling all of their stocks" and predicting market crashes (especially libtard hero Krugman) because of Trump's election?

Now it's like "Oh shit that didn't actually happen... uh uh uh ......... THANKS Obama!" Fucking weak.
14   errc   ignore (2)   2018 Jan 10, 8:25am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

Goran_K says
anon_604a7 says
Economy always recovers regardless of who’s president.

Did anyone actually say they were selling their stocks after the election? I didn’t hear about that
15   iwog   ignore (3)   2018 Jan 10, 8:49am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

Ahhh...I think I get it now. Y'all want Trump to have credit for the rally based on the wonderful changes he's made resulting in economic growth (Thanks Obama!) and not rich people slobbering at the thought of the tax cuts.

Sorry but that's not the way it goes. The market has rallied and will now turn into the last phase of a bubble because investors know damn well what's going to happen when you flood the economy with an extra 400 billion dollars of borrowed cash. Whatever else you believe, whatever else you think is going on, the fact that we will now flood our economy with hundreds of billions in borrowed cash is a fact. It's absolutely irrefutably a fact. You can't question it, you can't give a rebuttal, it's a fact as clear as the sunrise. This is what is going to happen and smart people know it and they bought stocks. Next year the cash will come pouring in and corporate profits, ALREADY at all time highs, will go much higher.

That's when the bubble bursts. Buy the rumor, sell the news. When corporate profits show up next year at new all time highs, there's going to be an outstanding shorting opportunity that will make some people rich but will break the 80% of dumb money like it always does.
16   Goran_K   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 10, 8:55am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

errc says

17   Goran_K   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 10, 8:55am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Another one.

18   Goran_K   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 10, 8:58am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

iwog says

Credit for what?!

This happened?

Oh wait, those "Huge cuts" to Medicare and SS never got into the tax bill.
19   Strategist   ignore (1)   2018 Jan 10, 8:59am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

iwog says

Nothing will happen. $400 billion is chump change.
20   Goran_K   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 10, 9:08am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

iwog says
You can't do it can you.

I would do it if you got the prediction correct.

but if someone says, "Tomorrow the sun will rise, and the skies will be clear because the low pressure system will pass." Then I'd be like, wow, great prediction.

but if someone says, "Tomorrow the sun will rise, and the skies will be clear because Iwog did a dance." Then I'd be like... uh, that not's an accurate prediction.
21   Goran_K   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 10, 9:16am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

iwog says
I'd still like to see your predictions however. Can you link them?

I didn't make a prediction about a crash or rally, in fact I didn't make any posts on PatNet from July 2016 until December 2016 since I was busy selling most of my real estate holdings in California.

I did make this prediction though.

Goran_K says

I disagree, Assange has publicly and firmly denied any Russian involvement in the DNC leak last Fall that hurt Hillary Clinton's campaign. He's strongly implied that the leak was internal at the DNC.

The "Russian" story, as far as I can look back seems to have its basis in "fantasy", a total invention of the WaPO, NYT, and CNN. Someone is being played, that's for sure.

Seems, now nearly 2 years later, I was right.
22   Goran_K   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 10, 9:20am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

iwog says
I see. So you're mocking my accurate predictions about the stock market rally and the growing economy and the tax cut plan because I also predicted medicare and Social Security Reform which will probably happen next year.

Did I get any of this wrong? Be specific.

Yes, pretty much all wrong?
23   anon_961a0   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 10, 9:24am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Goran_K says
iwog says

Credit for what?!

This happened?

Oh wait, those "Huge cuts" to Medicare and SS never got into the tax bill.

Tax bill? Why would they be in the tax bill?
24   Goran_K   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 10, 9:24am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Sure

"However Trump's new tax policy or some sick Congressional-Trump hybrid will cause great damage to our long term economic prospects" - Thus far very WRONG

"Congress is very likely to insert "reforms" to both Social Security and Medicare which will ultimately be nothing more than cutting benefits or putting retirement money at risk in the stock market." - Very wrong, never happened.

"The deficit and national debt, OH SO IMPORTANT just a few years ago, will now disappear as an issue and add trillions to misguided citizens who will be told our economy will grow out of it." - Thus far wrong.

I mean, all of that is pretty much fantasy so far.
25   Ceffer   ignore (1)   2018 Jan 10, 9:54am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

It's so heart warming that in just a few months, all those newly employed will qualify for unemployment benefits again!
26   Goran_K   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 10, 9:59am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

iwog says
I have no business posting here. Patrick.net is a corpse. I'll be happy to delete my account. It's asinine for posts to be deleted for saying "I think user X is dumb for reason Y" while you are given the power to say whatever the fuck you want without consequence. I think it's a sick joke.

Uh, maybe there's a misunderstanding here. The rule is for PERSONAL attacks.

OK - "I think leftist ideas are retarded and stupid."

NOT OK - "I think Iwog, who is a leftist, is stupid and retarded."

It's pretty simple to follow man.

Also, do you really think Patrick would be friendly to lefty ideals? Lefty ideals and politics literally cost him a job. It had a big effect on him economically and hit his personal reputation in the tech community.

You should really think about the effects some of this poisonous ideology has on other people besides yourself.
27   TwoScoopsPlissken   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 10, 10:02am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

iwog says

FFS.

I'm not going to break any rules about other users. I'm just gonna take the advice I gave others.
28   mell   ignore (1)   2018 Jan 10, 10:11am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

iwog says
Patrick deleted the graph but visits to this site crash hard the last time I left. I came back as a favor but it's being treated like a curse and an assault.

I don't need any of this and I'm done trying.

Why don't you just post in investing if politics upsets you so much and maybe figure out how to make (even) more money? You never comment or uptake the investment ideas of others although many have taken yours and for example bought ARLP and/or NAC. Seems like a silly reason to cut ties over politics.
29   HEYYOU   ignore (6)   2018 Jan 10, 10:16am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

It's absolutely amazing that Trump could create jobs during the spending season.
Never happened before.
30   Goran_K   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 10, 10:19am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (2)     quote

First off, I didn't care about your prediction until you kept begging me to comment on it.

iwog says
So Goran, are you going to give me credit for calling this rally BEFORE it happened? Right after Trump was elected? I don't remember anyone else posting that type of prediction in fucking November of last year. You didn't right? I think I was amazingly accurate.

According to you I'm a leftist so.........

I read your prediction and thought it was full of inaccurate claims that have yet to pass or will never pass. That's just my take which you ASKED for. I didn't search out your prediction, you ASKED ME to give my opinion on it, which I did.

Now you're angry that I even commented on it? Geez, can't win I guess.
31   mell   ignore (1)   2018 Jan 10, 10:24am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

iwog says
mell says

Read the thread. I predicted the stock market was going to fly and I did it in November 2016. It was valuable, it was accurate, and my reasoning was spot on.

The moderator shit all over it and continues to shit all over it.

This isn't about politics. There's a narcissistic sociopath running the forum regardless of the topic. It's fatally broken and will get even worse when I'm gone.

I remember the prediction that the market/economy will do well in the short term, so I'd agree with you here. But you also at some earlier point said you were going all cash while the market kept rocketing higher, maybe for a year or so, don't know the exact timeline. Some pounced on it. So what, not everybody can be right all the time. And I'm not so sure the economy will crash because of the tax cuts, but I expect more volatility compared to the zero volatility we have been having. The problem at least for investing is if everybody is silo'ed it's really hard to take advantage of a hive mind. Maybe - if there are ever meetups again - they should be mostly about exchanging investment ideas.
32   Patrick   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 10, 10:45am   ↑ like (5)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

Rapidly deleting comments about other users...

Please stop talking about each other. Talk about anything else. I said please, but will continue to delete all day long if needed.

Other classes of comments I am happily deleting:

"this site sucks"
"your moderation choices suck"
33   TwoScoopsPlissken   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 10, 1:24pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Goran_K says
Another one.

The Krugman prediction is legendary. I saw a tweet a while back with a compendium of dire predictions if Trump won for the stock market. Should have saved it.
34   TwoScoopsPlissken   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 10, 1:30pm   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

"Donald Trump's first gift to the world will be another financial crisis." Headline in the U.K. Independent. "(He) gives every impression that he will soon be hustling America — and possibly the entire world — in the direction of another catastrophic financial crisis." Same article.

"I have no stocks. I advise people not to invest in the stock market, not now. Way too dangerous." Film maker Michael Moore, August, 2017.

"It really does now look like President Donald J. Trump, and markets are plunging. When might we expect them to recover? A first-pass answer is never… So we are very probably looking at a global recession, with no end in sight." Paul Krugman of the New York Times the day after the election.

"Trump's domestic policies would lead to recession." Former GOP presidential candidate Mitt Romney, March 2016.

"If Trump wins we should expect a big markdown in expected future earnings for a wide range of stocks — and a likely crash in the broader market (if Trump becomes president)." Eric Zitzewitz, former chief economist at the IMF, November 2016.

"Under Trump, I would expect a protracted recession to begin within 18 months. The damage would be felt far beyond the United States." Former Clinton and Obama chief economist Larry Summers, June 2016.

"Trump would likely cause the stock market to crash and plunge the world into recession." Simon Johnson, MIT economics professor, in The New York Times, November 2016.

"Citigroup: A Trump Victory in November Could Cause a Global Recession", Bloomberg Financial News headline, August 2016

"I have never seen an election in which the markets have so strong of a view as to what was good and bad about the outcome. And what you saw was the markets rallying yesterday because of the FBI thing on Sunday. And the reason I mention this particularly is if the likely event happens and Trump wins you will see a market crash of historic proportions, I think…The markets are terrified of him." Steve Rattner, MSNBC economics guru and former Obama Car Czar, October, 2016.

"Wall Street is set up for a major crash if Donald Trump shocks the world on Election Day and wins the White House. New research out on Friday suggests that financial markets strongly prefer a Hillary Clinton presidency and could react with panicked selling should Trump defy the polls and deliver a shocking upset on Nov. 8." Ben White, Politico, October 2016.

And finally, and most unambiguously:

"A President Trump Could Destroy the World Economy", headline of Washington Post editorial, October 2016.

Economics is barely better than Gender Studies.
35   mell   ignore (1)   2018 Jan 10, 1:38pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

lol the Krugsheister and Eichenwald dunces shivs are priceless! Remember PK lives off of your taxpayer $$ and then spouts disastrous blabs.
36   Booger   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 10, 1:43pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

"You get a factory! You get a factory! And you get a factory! Everybody gets a factory!!!!!"

-Donald J. Trum
37   errc   ignore (2)   2018 Jan 10, 2:04pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

Goran_K says
errc says

Who is kirk eichenwald?

Never heard of him
38   Goran_K   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 10, 2:30pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (2)     quote

errc says
Who is kirk eichenwald?

Never heard of him

A pretty outspoken lefty journalist who writes at Newsweek, Vanity Fair, and someone who lost a ton of money in 2017 by selling all of his stocks.
39   errc   ignore (2)   2018 Jan 10, 2:33pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (3)     quote

Goran_K says
errc says
Who is kirk eichenwald?

Never heard of him

Never heard of the guy

The people who whinge incessantly about CNN and leftists pundits should maybe stop listening to them. It’s bizarre behavior
40   Strategist   ignore (1)   2018 Jan 10, 6:52pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

TwoScoopsPlissken says

"If Trump wins we should expect a big markdown in expected future earnings...

ROFL ROFL ROFL
So many idiots, so little time.
41   BorderPatrol   ignore (1)   2018 Jan 10, 9:36pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (3)     quote

irrelevant crap. 2017 GDP is pathetic. like Schiff said, Obama 2.0.
42   Goran_K   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 10, 11:36pm   ↑ like (5)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

errc says
Goran_K says
errc says
Who is kirk eichenwald?

Never heard of him

Never heard of the guy

Who says anyone listens to them? Many of us here experienced massive gains in 2017 and are much more wealthy because we didn’t listen to leftist retards.
43   Strategist   ignore (1)   2018 Jan 11, 9:33am   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Goran_K says

Most lefties believe the market will crash only because they don't like Trump. Pure emotional, pure wishful, and pure irrational thinking. You can never be a successful investor with that kind of thinking.
Righties were not much different either when Obama was President.
The way I see it....President's will come, and President's will go, but the stock market will go on for ever.
44   anon_d5928   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 11, 10:53am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

The eighties were right. The market didn't, do crap the last two years of Obama, even after billions of QE.
45   Goran_K   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 11, 10:58am   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Strategist says
Righties were not much different either when Obama was President.

Exactly.

Krugman is a nobel prize winning economist. Even he let his political bias sway his economic analysis, and it cost lots of lefty democrats lots of money. He was completely and utterly wrong.
46   HEYYOU   ignore (6)   2018 Jan 11, 11:08am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

What I love about Market talk is that no one ever say how much they have made or lost in Dollar amounts.
Got rich! Made me wealthy!
If it's on the internet,it's true.
47   Strategist   ignore (1)   2018 Jan 11, 12:08pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Goran_K says
Strategist says
Righties were not much different either when Obama was President.

Exactly.

It shows how political bias can screw up even a brilliant mind. Now that his emotions have taken over, I won't be surprised if he throws in the towel and decides to jump into the stock market, only to see it take a 20% correction. he he he
48   Strategist   ignore (1)   2018 Jan 11, 12:10pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

HEYYOU says

And let the IRS find out? Hell no.

« First    « Previous     Comments 9 - 48 of 48     Last »