NHS is no match for common flu.

By Hassan_Rouhani following x   2018 Jan 9, 4:09pm 756 views   9 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

NHS hospitals ordered to cancel all routine operations in January as flu spike and bed shortages lead to A&E crisis

Every hospital in the country has been ordered to cancel all non-urgent surgery until at least February in an unprecedented step by NHS officials.

The instructions on Tuesday night - which will see result in around 50,000 operations being axed - followed claims by senior doctors that patients were being treated in “third world” conditions, as hospital chief executives warned of the worst winter crisis for three decades.

Hospitals are reporting growing chaos, with a spike in winter flu leaving frail patients facing 12-hour waits, and some units running out of corridor space.

Sir Bruce Keogh, NHS medical director, on Tuesday ordered NHS trusts to stop taking all but the most urgent cases, closing outpatients clinics for weeks as well as cancelling around 50,000 planned operations.

1   MrMagic   ignore (9)   2018 Jan 9, 7:21pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Satoshi_Nakamoto says
Every hospital in the country has been ordered to cancel all non-urgent surgery

Isn't Socialized medicine wonderful? If we only had single payer in the USA.......

Who gets to decide what's "non-urgent"?
2   NuttBoxer   ignore (2)   2018 Jan 9, 8:57pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

I've heard on at least two separate occasions of flu's in our area that have been pretty bad. One guy at my work was out for two weeks and went on anti-biotics. Two guys over Christmas mentioned a flu where they were constantly puking or pooping, couldn't get warm no matter what. Fortunately my family is pretty health conscious, so none of us have gotten sick.
4   RC2006   ignore (0)   2018 Jan 9, 9:32pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Flu this year is pretty bad and flu shot only 10% effective if that.
5   anonymous   ignore (null)   2018 Jan 9, 9:34pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

RC2006 says
Flu this year is pretty bad and flu shot only 10% effective if that.

Yup. 700+% increases in some places
6   Ceffer   ignore (1)   2018 Jan 9, 11:30pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Already had both of them. Two worst flus I could ever remember, one standard chest, one stomach. Both seemed weaponized and were close to requiring hospital. Each about ten days of acute illness including the worst five days, then a six weeks of general weakness.

However, I had them last spring and early summer.
7   anonymous   ignore (null)   2018 Jan 10, 7:16am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Ceffer @ 7
You might have been around the same contagious asshole as me.
I carry a bottle of iso alcohol in my vehicle especially during flu season &
slightly crack the top,pour into one palm & wipe my hands each time I leave a public area.
I used wipes but a few drops of alcohol is not a bad feeling.Small hand cloth & no mess.
8   NuttBoxer   ignore (2)   2018 Jan 10, 9:13am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

We are surrounded by germs all the time. I think the best way to not get sick is to take care of your personal health. Don't believe in that others making me sick stuff, since I've been around plenty of sick people, and the only time I feel something coming on is when I've failed to get enough sleep, or don't eat healthy. I know there are rare diseases that are highly contagious, but the thought that we all have to get sick because one person gets the flu is ridiculous. Just take better care of yourself.

The Housing Trap