Job growth up 200,000 in January, better than expectations, and wages up

By Sniper following x   2018 Feb 2, 8:45am 671 views   11 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

Nonfarm payrolls grew by 200,000 in January and the unemployment rate was 4.1 percent, while wages saw their biggest jump since the end of the Great Recession, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said in a closely watched report Friday.

Economists surveyed by Reuters had been expecting jobs growth of 180,000 and an unemployment rate of 4.1 percent.

In addition to the solid payroll growth, average hourly earnings were up 0.3 percent for the month, matching estimates and reflecting an annualized gain of 2.9 percent. That was the best since mid-2009 as the two-year economic slump was coming to a close.

The payroll numbers come amid an expected acceleration in growth for the U.S. economy. The Atlanta Federal Reserve is expecting a GDP gain of 5.4 percent in the first quarter, which would be the best increase since the recovery began in mid-2009.

Construction reported by the biggest gain by sector with 36,000.

"Perhaps the biggest positive surprise on hiring is the continued surge for the goods-producing sector with manufacturing and construction leading the way," said Mark Hamrick, Bankrate.com's senior economic analyst.

1   TwoScoopsOfDragonEnergy   ignore (1)   2018 Feb 2, 8:46am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

DONNIE MAKE MOO!!! ORANGE DOUCHE!!! BELIEVE THE FBI!!! RUSSIAN HACK (DELIBERATELY LEAVE OFF "OF WHAT")!!
2   anonymous   ignore (null)   2018 Feb 2, 9:11am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (2)   quote

Great--maybe he can actually create some jobs. His first year was pretty pathetic.
3   HEYYOU   ignore (13)   2018 Feb 2, 10:09am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

"In other words the bad news and fact is that with the adjustments (see below for an explanation) on a 12-month basis the economy actually lost 377,000 jobs when one takes into account rising population. The math on this is the 12-month change in employed people less the change in civilian non-institutional and working age population change."

"So much for "good jobs" and Trump's blatant lies about the job market and impact of his policies; the only people who gained on a net basis last month are those who didn't finish high school."

"And while average hourly earnings rose (a relatively-impressive 2.9% on a 12 month basis) hours worked fell by 0.2, which is a $5.34 decrease in actual earnings per week. That did not cancel the entire 2.9% gain for the year but it sure blunted it -- and completely buried last month's paltry few-cent-an-hour gain in hourly wage. In other words despite Trump's claims actual pay went down last month -- not up from his "massive" tax cuts.

4   anonymous   ignore (null)   2018 Feb 2, 10:17am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Sniper says
Joey, are we starting that fake chant again?

Actually the facts are that 2017 was the weakest year for job growth since 2012 I believe
5   Strategist   ignore (1)   2018 Feb 2, 11:23am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Sniper says

If Obama was still President he would have created a million jobs. As usual.
6   anonymous   ignore (null)   2018 Feb 2, 12:59pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

I am very interested if my annual increase will be more than the usual percentage points I have received the last few years. Same for my bonus.
7   zzyzzx   ignore (1)   2018 Feb 2, 1:00pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

anon_6b2ff says

Of course not! You have to change jobs to get a real raise. Everybody knows that!
8   anonymous   ignore (null)   2018 Feb 2, 1:22pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (2)   quote

No lie. Jobs created in 2017 were the lowest since 2012.
9   Sniper   ignore (11)   2018 Feb 2, 1:24pm   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (3)   quote

anonymous says
Being a guessing type I am going to guess one of the base has all of the appropriate statistics readily available to support those claims of "quality full time jobs" as opposed to part time jobs.

Don't guess, the articles and data are at this link:

Sniper says
10   Patrick   ignore (0)   2018 Feb 2, 2:44pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Yes, @anonymous there were some personal comments I have now deleted. Please let me know of more if you find them.
11   WookieMan   ignore (0)   2018 Feb 2, 3:15pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

anonymous says
How do these comments get left up even after yourself and Goran have been on the site on and off all day ?

To keep this comment here kosher with the rules, I don't read all the new threads here for certain reasons to make a long story short, without getting myself in trouble. There's that vague comment I just made and I think from Patrick & Goran's perspective there's a lot here to run through here on some days.

I can't say for certain if there's any bias in what gets deleted, but I think an effort is being made to be fair. Or so I believe. Missing a personal attack is going to happen though. While it could seem intentional, it could just be timing. I'd say half the time you see me logged in at the top, I've just got a tab open with Patnet and am not even looking at the site. So even if you see us, it doesn't mean we're actively checking stuff. Plus I think Patrick & Goran like to share shit and like to comment as well. Can't be all work and no play ;)

I'm more lenient, but if it's an obvious personal attack, I do have the ability to moderate a comment gone. Feel free to @ the wookieman if you see something. I have my rallies of a lot of time on here (last 3 days) and dry spells, so I may not be the most consistent or around. Given the uptick in anon postings I'd think you'd be surprised how much may not make it to a thread. There is stuff getting deleted that is bad and it swings any way you could imagine.

The Housing Trap