Your property taxes just jumped by more than 50 percent. Now what ?

By Feux Follets following x   2018 Mar 4, 6:42am 3,085 views   68 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

•The downside of skyrocketing home values and higher demand: rising property taxes.

•In one neighborhood in Jersey City, New Jersey, the average tax burden will rise to $29,026 from $16,591, an increase of nearly 75 percent.

•The new tax law caps deduction on state and local taxes at $10,000.

The good news for some homeowners in one town: The average assessed value of a house in your neighborhood has skyrocketed by more than eightfold, climbing from about $212,000 to $1.8 million.

Now for the bad news: Your property taxes are going up as well, to just over $29,000 from an average of about $16,500 — and you'll only be able to deduct the first $10,000 on your taxes.

That's the situation facing some homeowners in Jersey City, New Jersey, as the rapidly gentrifying city performs its first round of reassessments since 1988.

The traditionally blue collar town, which sits directly across the Hudson River from New York City, is an extreme example, but it isn't alone.

Property taxes, for instance, are up 38 percent year-over-year in Clark County, Nevada – home to Las Vegas – raising the average 2017 tax bill on a single family home to $2,445 from $1,774, according to ATTOM Data Solutions, a provider of real estate data.

Home prices there have risen by 100 percent over the last five years, according to ATTOM.

Meanwhile, homeowners in Williamson County, Texas — just outside of Austin — experienced a 15 percent tax increase last year. Owners of single family homes paid an average of $6,697 in property taxes, up from $5,837, according to ATTOM.

Over the last five years, home prices there have risen by 80 percent.

"The story is that people are moving to these markets, and they're experiencing rapid home price appreciation," said Daren Blomquist, senior vice president at ATTOM.

"It doesn't just affect the people who are willing to pay for the homes and the property taxes," he said. "There is a ripple effect on neighbors who might have been there for 20 years, and their taxes go up as well."

Here's how to contend with skyrocketing property taxes.

More: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/02/your-property-taxes-just-jumped-by-more-than-50-percent-now-what.html

#Housing #PropertyTax

« First    « Previous     Comments 29 - 68 of 68     Last »

29   drB6   ignore (1)   2018 Mar 5, 8:03am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Sniper says
This is what happens when you let the Democrat run your legislative offices.

Electing R does not work either. See Brazoria County, TX - as R as it gets, and people are still hosed with high property taxes. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazoria_County,_Texas

Admittedly, NJ is in its own league, but it is probably related more to mafia-style public works.
30   RafiMaas   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 5, 8:22am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (2)   quote

PrivilegedtobeWhite says
Who did you vote for?

Good question, I'd have to say none of the above. I wasn't with her. In my state, it really didn't matter who I voted for. I could say though I'm 99.9% sure whomever I voted for wouldn't have approved a cap on SALT.

It is hilarious to see those who praised the tax cuts to now admit how fucked they are because of them. And then still can't place the blame on the fact they cheered on the ass fucking that they were going to get.

Trump didn't send out KY to the Republicans in blue states?

Lulz
31   RafiMaas   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 5, 9:27am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Feux Follets says

This is what happens when you let the Democrat run your legislative offices

Yes the 39th least dependent state on the federal government. Isn't it ironic how the states with the highest taxes are the ones least dependent on the federal government. Damn democrats and their fiscal responsibility.
Are Republicans just deadbeats who don't want to pay their bills?
32   Sniper   ignore (11)   2018 Mar 5, 10:03am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Sniper says
Yes, I pay tons of NJ income tax. I also pay tons of real estate taxes too. The Democrats are fucking me in the ass TWICE, and they don't even use KY.

What, Christy didn't lower all that for you. I know those Republicans hate to pay their fair share.

RafiMaas says
and who do you have to thank, why it's the Republicans and Trump, anyone who voted for him and can't properly place the blame for the cap on SALT is fucked in the head.

There you go folks, this just shows how the Liberal MSM has destroyed the ability for their base to think logically, and proves Liberalism is a mental disease.

Here's a hint, the local state Democrats fucked up the local real estate tax situation and the state income tax situation long before Trump came around. The "Blue" states are getting their just rewards for allowing the Dem controlled legislature to fuck over the citizens for past decades. WAKE UP!!

But, Rachel Maddow and CNN has everyone believing it's all Trump's fault NOW. Isn't Liberal brainwashing amazing?
33   RafiMaas   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 5, 10:15am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Sniper says

Yes I know it's called fiscal responsibility. That is why New Jersey is the 11th most fiscally responsible state. As a democrat I believe in paying for my roads and the services the government supplies such as defense and what not.

Why don't Republicans want to pay? Sounds like deadbeats to me.
34   Goran_K   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 5, 10:17am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

RafiMaas says
Why don't Republicans want to pay? Sounds like deadbeats to me.

Because that's the wrong question.

It should be, why are Democrats piling up such huge bills?
35   TwoScoopsOfWompWomp   ignore (2)   2018 Mar 5, 10:19am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

How about Illinois? Is that a fiscally responsible state?
36   RafiMaas   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 5, 10:26am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Sniper says

Yes us blue states sould be like those "red" states and suck that federal government tit. See how great America is then.
37   Strategist   ignore (1)   2018 Mar 5, 10:38am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

RafiMaas says

And waste, and ridiculous pensions, and government parties, and sky high wages. If you like paying for nothing, go right ahead and pay. The rest of us do not want to pay for nothing.
38   anonymous   ignore (null)   2018 Mar 5, 10:46am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

TwoScoopsPlissken says
How about Illinois? Is that a fiscally responsible state?

Which Republican states are the model of success?

Kansas?
39   RafiMaas   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 5, 11:03am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Strategist says
The rest of us do not want to pay for nothing.

Yes that is my point use the services but don't want to pay for nothing, hence deadbeats.
40   anonymous   ignore (null)   2018 Mar 5, 11:07am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Strategist says
The rest of us do not want to pay for nothing.

I’m sure Republicans would be glad to contribute, but Mexicans are taking all their jobs.

To suggest that they gain some skills to bring to the table is just mean
41   anonymous   ignore (null)   2018 Mar 5, 11:08am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

errc says
TwoScoopsPlissken says
How about Illinois? Is that a fiscally responsible state?

Which Republican states are the model of success?

Kansas?

Did you miss the question or just busy searching for a deflection?
42   RafiMaas   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 5, 11:19am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

TwoScoopsPlissken says
How about Illinois? Is that a fiscally responsible state?

Funny you should ask, they fall right between NJ and California on their reliance on the federal government. California being even less reliant on the G man.

It's these state who make this country run. It sucks to be fiscally responsible but I for one don't want to leave all this debt to my children. Piling debt on with the economy the way it is is just stupid. Yes that's just my opinion, but I'm sticking to it.
43   RafiMaas   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 5, 11:32am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

Goran_K says
RafiMaas says
Why don't Republicans want to pay? Sounds like deadbeats to me.

Because that's the wrong question.

It should be, why are Democrats piling up such huge bills?

Tell me was it the democrats who wanted to add $50 billion to the defense budget. Or cut receipts by $150 billion? Don't even make me say it.... Ok I will, MEDICARE PART D? With no ability to negotiate for better medication prices? Give me a break.
44   Sniper   ignore (11)   2018 Mar 5, 12:11pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Yes I know

Glad you agree. Great, the discussion is solved.

On to the next TDS rant, what's next?
45   Sniper   ignore (11)   2018 Mar 5, 12:12pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Strategist says
The rest of us do not want to pay for nothing.

Why do some have to pay MORE for services they don't use and others use more services they don't pay for.

Why can't I get those services on a "a la carte basis", and pay for them as I go and need them, the same way I pay for services from a plumber, electrician, accountant, lawyer, etc.?

Why am I stuck paying ten of thousands of dollars for services I don't use so the deadbeats can abuse them?
46   zzyzzx   ignore (1)   2018 Mar 5, 12:12pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Sniper says
, I'm not getting fucked a FOURTH time!

Then move to Delaware, or Florida, etc.
47   WookieMan   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 5, 12:14pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

RafiMaas says

Ouch, I'd check out IL issues a bit more before throwing any flowers their way. Our debt is not even remotely fiscally responsible. The solution is more debt. The pension obligations alone will crush this state. This was another thread here, but has links within it: https://patrick.net/post/1313473/2018-01-30-illinois-ponders-pension-fund-moonshot-a-107b-bond-sale

Our roads suck too except for the toll roads in my opinion. And I actually have extensive knowledge on IL roadways with personal experience (not just driving on them). We have AWFUL infrastructure in terms of roads.
48   Sniper   ignore (11)   2018 Mar 5, 12:17pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

zzyzzx says
Sniper says
, I'm not getting fucked a FOURTH time!

Then move to Delaware, or Florida, etc.

I wish, I have to kill off the outlaws first. Wifey won't leave while they're still alive. Just a few more years......

Actually, No. Carolina is one of my choices. Or, a compound in Montana.
49   Sniper   ignore (11)   2018 Mar 5, 12:25pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

RafiMaas says
Isn't it ironic how the states with the highest taxes..

.....were the ones also getting the biggest tax breaks from SALT. Why should they get bigger tax breaks (pay LESS federal and state tax) than other Red states? Seems pretty unfair, right?

Oops....

RafiMaas says

Gee, I don't remember you complaining when Obama piled $10 TRILLION on tho the debt in 8 years. Why was that?

RafiMaas says

But that's exactly what Obama did. Was he fiscally responsible doing that?

Obama says adding $4 trillion to debt is unpatriotic.

..Obama said, "Number 43 added $4 trillion by his lonesome. So we now have over $9 trillion in debt that we are going to have to pay back. $30,000 for every man woman and child. It’s irresponsible! It’s unpatriotic!”

Then, he goes on and adds $10 Trillion, over double that amount.

You just can't make this shit up!
50   Goran_K   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 5, 1:19pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

errc says
Which Republican states are the model of success?

Kansas?

51   zzyzzx   ignore (1)   2018 Mar 6, 8:27am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

zzyzzx says
Sniper says
, I'm not getting fucked a FOURTH time!

Then move to Delaware, or Florida, etc.

Move to DE, and use this:

53   TwoScoopsOfWompWomp   ignore (2)   2018 Mar 8, 4:40pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

errc says
Which Republican states are the model of success?

54   HEYYOU   ignore (13)   2018 Mar 8, 4:59pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Property taxes should be raised on anyone that pays more than 10% of listing price.
LOSERS!
55   Strategist   ignore (1)   2018 Mar 8, 6:45pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Sniper says

LOL. They never die. It's how they take revenge.

Sniper says
Actually, No. Carolina is one of my choices. Or, a compound in Montana.

Why N Carolina, when you can have Florida? Do you have a girlfriend there?
56   Booger   ignore (1)   2018 Mar 8, 6:50pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Strategist says
Why N Carolina, when you can have Florida?

Check out the taxes in NC, and you will move elsewhere.
57   Strategist   ignore (1)   2018 Mar 8, 6:55pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Strategist says
The rest of us do not want to pay for nothing.

That's very selfish of you, Sniper. You want the 3rd generation welfare Queens to actually work?
58   FortWayne   ignore (2)   2018 Mar 8, 7:25pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Booger says
Strategist says
Why N Carolina, when you can have Florida?

Check out the taxes in NC, and you will move elsewhere.

Looked up theirs, not bad at all. 5% and they have a quarter of the population.

Now ideally the more people you have, the more taxes spread out so that rates should be lower. But it's not the case with CA. Where we have the highest taxes in the nation (sales + income) considering our 40M population. It's not right, theft, fraud, this governemnt is crooked.
59   Booger   ignore (1)   2018 Mar 8, 7:30pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

FortWayne says
Looked up theirs, not bad at all. 5%

Look at the sales tax , and income taxes, and property taxes. Of course it seems cheap to you because you live in California.

Just checked again myself
Looks like its lower than when I lived there. No wonder I think it's high.

Anyway, I'd much rather live in South Carolina than North Carolina.
60   Sniper   ignore (11)   2018 Mar 8, 8:30pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Strategist says
Sniper says
Actually, No. Carolina is one of my choices. Or, a compound in Montana.

Why N Carolina, when you can have Florida?

You want me to move near Dan?

Booger says
Check out the taxes in NC, and you will move elsewhere.

Can't be anywhere near as bad as shithole NJ.
61   Sniper   ignore (11)   2018 Mar 8, 8:30pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Strategist says
Sniper says

LOL. They never die. It's how they take revenge.

If that's not the truth. The revenge now is horrible. You would think they would be nice to me, since I took their daughter off of their hands and she became my problem.

Strategist says

Silly me, I need to take a ride through Newark, Camden, Patterson, Trenton, to see how my tax dollars are being so helpful in taking care of these queens. What was I thinking? And the new dickhead Gov. Murphy will be sending more of my tax dollars to help them. Isn't he swell?
62   theoakman   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 9, 6:18am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Quite honestly, Jersey City had it coming. They are an Abbott district, which means their schools get funded by the rest of the state. Their proximity to NYC and ability to not tax people allowed a bunch of people to move in and send values skyrocketing. They never revalued the assessments and they were overdue to do so by decades. Any moron that bought a million dollar property in that city gets exactly what they deserve. And now they are only paying taxes on par with the rest of the state.
63   Tenpoundbass   ignore (11)   2018 Mar 9, 10:00am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

We need 12% Home Loans that will teach greedy pigs from hogging up all of the real estate because they are to fucking lazy to work for a living.
We need a 3% to .5% Federal Milage property tax on all single family rental houses.
No tax on your first house buy another and you get the tax. Maybe the second will only be .5% but after that it's 3%.
I would really like to see a 3% annual but I think .5 will do it, drive SFH right down into the ground and make them only worth $120K tops for your average 1700sqft house instead of the $300K or more they command now.

Fuck the Rent seekers rip their pants open and ram it, RAM IT, RAM it up their Poopshoot.
Everyone is an asshole I got one looking at you. You greedy mother fuckers!
64   Strategist   ignore (1)   2018 Mar 9, 11:00am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Strategist says
Sniper says
Actually, No. Carolina is one of my choices. Or, a compound in Montana.

Why N Carolina, when you can have Florida?

You want me to move near Dan?

It would be fun to see the terror in Dan's eyes if you moved there.

Sniper says

Every time my outlaws pissed me off, I would go fuck their daughter.
65   Fivelbsbrowntrout   ignore (2)   2018 Mar 9, 12:43pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

MyVoteDecidedTrump says

I couldn't agree more.

I say the first Rent Seeker we RAM up the poop shoot is Donald Trump.

The only problem with 12% interest rates is the quadrupling of the amount paid on interest payments on the $20 trillion US government debt. That is why I scratch my head at a tax cut that adds to that debt to give to the rent seekers/1%
66   Sniper   ignore (11)   2018 Mar 9, 1:20pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

5lbsbrowntrout says

Really? 150 million working Americans are all rent seekers and part of the 1%?

I did not know that.
67   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (30)   2018 Mar 9, 4:50pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Who the fuck lives in a house long enough to have to pay taxes?

If you haven't flipped it before the first tax bill arrives, you fucking lose!

That's why they call people like this: ASSHOLES!
68   zzyzzx   ignore (1)   2018 Mar 14, 9:02am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

New Jersey Prepares To Raise Taxes On "Almost Everything" As It Nears Financial Disaster

New Jersey's democrats can't even agree how to best fleece the rich, meanwhile the state careens ever faster toward financial disaster.

« First    « Previous     Comments 29 - 68 of 68     Last »