Anyone else get a letter from CA Franchise Tax Board requesting a call to 916 845 7088?

By Patrick following x   2018 Mar 12, 4:22pm 1,876 views   7 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

I got an unusual letter, form FTB 3904, "Request to Confirm Tax Return Filing" telling me to call 916 845 7088 to confirm I filed my tax return.

Never had that before. I called and got a woman who asked such detailed and invasive questions that I was getting quite offended. She basically asked for every bit of info on my California tax return, down to driver's license number and expiration date.

How do I know that it wasn't a scam? The letter looks legit, and others have noted that number:

The California Franchise Tax Board (FTB) has seen a dramatic rise in returns that look like potential identity theft due to the increase in employer and tax professional data breaches this year, which has caused them to issue more Forms FTB 3904, Request to Confirm Tax Return Filing.

This notice is sent if the FTB highly suspects the likelihood of identity theft. Instead of sending or faxing the requested documentation, the FTB recommends calling the number on the notice immediately: (916) 845-7088. The FTB employee may be able to ask certain questions to help validate the taxpayer filed the return in order to allow the refund.

The number also mentioned on one of the FTB web pages: https://origin-www.ftb.ca.gov/aboutFTB/press/2017/02-02172017.shtml which is a little comforting.

But still, it was so weird and so invasive that I think it could be a scam somehow.
1   HEYYOU   ignore (21)   2018 Mar 12, 5:52pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Answer no questions without proper ID. That's tough over the phone.

I have the right to remain silent. Got a question,call my attorney.
2   FortWayne   ignore (2)   2018 Mar 12, 5:54pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

Could be a scam, that’s going around.

They mentioned something about it on Christian radio today.
3   Patrick   ignore (1)   2018 Mar 12, 5:57pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

HEYYOU says
Answer no questions without proper ID. That's tough over the phone.

When I objected as the questions went on and on, she said I could just hang up and try to call back and get a supervisor. That's a threat of going to hell on par with the techniques of the Catholic Church.
4   Patrick   ignore (1)   2018 Mar 12, 6:00pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The really interesting thing is that the scammers and the legit tax board ask the same questions. My only way of knowing that it was not fake came down to the phone number, which I did a search on during the call.
5   Patrick   ignore (1)   2018 Mar 12, 6:08pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I was actually beaten several times by nuns when I was in 3rd grade. Had my head smacked into a cinderblock wall, and little fingers whacked with a yardstick on a desk, leaving a string of bruises.

My crimes were touching the wall while lined up waiting for the bathroom, and that the nun had lost her watch and couldn't find it. I was guilty on the first count, not knowing we were not to lean against the wall. The second one never made sense at all. I saw other kids kicked or pushed out of their chairs.

A friend once told me that if nuns were allowed to have sex, they would not be nearly as violent.
6   tovarichpeter   ignore (2)   2018 Mar 12, 6:43pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says

U
And then there were these Irish “brides of Christ” who personified evil
7   mell   ignore (2)   2018 Mar 12, 6:51pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says

I recall a Catholic hospital with (older) nuns as nurses at the kids station way back then - a girl who just had her appendix removed was crying and complaining about too much post-surgery pain and pushing the call button repeatedly. A nun eventually stormed in, grabbed her by the shoulder, lifted her upright and shaking her whole body screaming into the girls face to shut up, then slammed her head back onto the pillow and left the room. I opted for enduring the pain vs using the call button. Needless to say though it was much cheaper (with equally skilled MDs) than a state/municipally run hospital.

The Housing Trap