1   Quigley   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 15, 5:48pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

Sure, the law is applied to all people EQUALLY. That means the billionaire will also serve the same sentence for insider trading as a nurse would for imbezzling hospital funds.

Besides, the fine isn’t the only penalty incurred for the traffic ticket. Points also go on ones license and can be used up, leading to revocation of license.

Stupid freaking communists never understand anything correctly...
3   Ceffer   ignore (1)   2018 Mar 15, 6:07pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

This is where giving a blow job to the cop to get out of the ticket is a great equalizer.
4   epitaph   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 15, 6:36pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The law can never be equal because people are never equal.

In its majestic equality, the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread.
5   CovfefeButDeadly   ignore (5)   2018 Mar 15, 7:05pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

How many billionaires are in the US and how many actually flaunt the laws and get away with it due to their money?

In other words, what is the problem that is needing solution.

There was a woman advocating socialism on the MIchael Medved radio show yesterday. It sounded to me like she was perfectly content with everyone being poor so long as no one was allowed to be rich. THats some pretty demented thinking there.
6   missing   ignore (1)   2018 Mar 15, 7:08pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

If the purpose of the fine is for it to be a deterrent, then no.
7   Strategist   ignore (2)   2018 Mar 15, 7:11pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I'm not sure if a billionaire would be driving his own car unless it's a Lamborghini.
I would not mind if very reckless and dangerous driving results in the car getting impounded. That would be fining the billionaires more.
8   WineHorror1   ignore (1)   2018 Mar 15, 7:11pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

FP says
If the purpose of the fine is for it to be a deterrent, then no.

Bingo.
9   Hugolas_Madurez   ignore (4)   2018 Mar 15, 7:21pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

"My Maserati does one-eighty-five/I lost my licence, now I don't drive"
10   Strategist   ignore (2)   2018 Mar 15, 7:33pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Satoshi_Nakamoto says
"My Maserati does one-eighty-five/I lost my licence, now I don't drive"

he he he. Your next car will be a Prius.
11   CovfefeButDeadly   ignore (5)   2018 Mar 15, 7:50pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Strategist says

My point exactly. If there aren't tons of billionaires out there speeding and committing other crimes, why are we even bothering with the line of thought in the OP.

Its like its back in 3rd grade...me no like bobby cause bobby has stuff my family cant afford. Which is rather a ridiculous line of thought for adults to engage in.

Though there are Bernie Sanders voters.
12   Patrick   ignore (1)   2018 Mar 15, 8:19pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The more important question is whether the billionaire and the nurse should pay the same tax rate on their income.

Currently, the billionaire is taxed at a lower rate (20% capital gains) and the nurse at a higher rate (25% to 28% of marginal income).
13   CovfefeButDeadly   ignore (5)   2018 Mar 15, 8:33pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says

The key word is marginal. My actual federal tax rate paid is under 15% with the new Trump plan, and I don't even itemize. 457 plan excluded, retirement excluded plus standard deduction.
14   Quigley   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 15, 8:35pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Opening up this iron clad part of the law to reinterpretation is a step towards the Feudal Times when the rich were above the law and only the peasants could be prosecuted. There was no equality under the law. The law was for keeping the peasants under control, not for inconveniencing the nobility. The only way the rich were affected by their crimes is if they pissed off someone higher than they in the pecking order.

Do you want to go back to that? Because if the rich and the poor have different laws, that’s where it inevitably leads.
15   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (37)   2018 Mar 15, 8:38pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The billionaire should be paid to shoot the nurse in the face, exactly as the Founding Fathers commanded.
16   ThreeBays   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 15, 8:48pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

If penalties were as a % of net worth, most Americans would pay nothing.