Any provider offer smartphone with month to month service plan?

By BayArea following x   2018 Mar 18, 4:46pm 1,281 views   11 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

Hi guys,

I need a new smartphone with service plan for no more than 1-2mo. Because of the duration, I have no interest in any long term contracts nor expensive phones.

Are there any providers out there that offer this?
2   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (32)   2018 Mar 18, 5:12pm   ↑ like (5)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

TMobile PayToGo since 2004.

They believed my name is FUCKING! MUSTAFA! and took my hundred bucks.

Everybody else - AT&T, Cingular, etc. tried to tell me only drug dealers refuse to give them a pile of money every month and suck their dicks.
3   Tenpoundbass   ignore (11)   2018 Mar 18, 5:55pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

I've had Metro PCS for about 18 years now.
5   HEYYOU   ignore (16)   2018 Mar 18, 7:44pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

It takes a lot of wire to travel very far with my landline.
This burner is better.
7   Bullshit   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 20, 4:40am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

I have the best solution: MINTSIM. Unlimited talk/text and 2 gig of high speed data: $15/month. I switched to them recently. Perfect service, no problems. You can buy a trial sim card on amazon or www.mintsim.com
No I don't work for mintsim. I'm just cheap.
9   DASKAA   ignore (3)   2018 Mar 20, 8:34am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Bullshit says
No I don't work for mintsim. I'm just cheap.

How's the coverage? What carrier's network do they use?
10   bob2356   ignore (1)   2018 Mar 20, 10:56am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Consumer Cellular. Month to month plans. Great service, real people pick up the phones I think they piggyback on AT&T network. You can pick and choose levels of service for text data and voice. Not sure it would be worth setting up for 2 months.

Better to buy a prepay burner from tracphone.
11   Hircus   ignore (0)   2018 Mar 20, 9:22pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

There's TONS of MVNOs (they resell the towers/service of the big providers). Many of them offer monthly plans and allow you to bring your own phone. Here's a list: https://bestmvno.com/mvnos/

Many of them will offer the tower service you need (eg, if you use an att phone, you get att service, or sprint, or verizon etc...). Tracfone owns many of these companies.

I've used virgin mobile ( I used their sprint towers) and net10 (their at&t towers) with good results. I'm about to switch to att prepaid monthly plan directly because the price is similar but they allow wifi/hotspot tethering, while net10 charges for it.

Drawbacks that I'm aware of with MVNOs:
-supposedly you're lower priority, so if there's every capacity pressure due to too many users, you may get lower priority than if you bought the service direct from the real tower/network owner such as att.
-usually no roaming allowed on prepaid monthly plans. This doesn't bother me, but if you go out in the boonies and want service (eg in places like Yosemite), you might want roaming. Supposedly, 911 will still work anywhere a compatible tower exists even if you don't have roaming (or dont even have a plan at all - keep an old unconnected verizon phone with you as a 911 backup phone when camping).

But, my experience over the last 5-7 years of using MVNOs is that the service is great, and it's usually quite a bit cheaper than buying the name brand service, even after considering incentives from signing a 1-2 yr contract.

The Housing Trap