Goran is going to Wakiki, anyone got any good workout tips?

By Goran_K following x   2018 Apr 5, 1:35pm 1,153 views   22 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

I haven't been on a beach with my t-shirt off since 2005.

It's not that I'm fat, but I would love to get some muscles so I don't look like some pale skinny freak out there in Hawaii.

Heavy weights low reps? High protein diets? I'm open to any toning workouts that people do that have helped them buff up.
1   c0nfused   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 5, 1:53pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

I do lots of pull-ups and really like the effect on upper body. Also tones stomach somehow.

Forehand for bigger pecs, backhand for bigger biceps.

I used to do 10 forehand then 10 backhand one time per day, but now just try to do 10 of either every hour during working hours. I don't always hit it, but probably get 40 in per day most days.
2   CovfefeButDeadly   ignore (4)   2018 Apr 5, 2:18pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

You will have fun no matter what! Truly relaxing and enjoyable.

No workout tips from me. My only workout is lifting pints of beer :)
3   Sniper   ignore (11)   2018 Apr 5, 3:01pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

I'd give ya some tips, buy you probably won't like my workout. You'll end up looking like this:

4   Ceffer   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 5, 3:35pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

I recommend the Rin workout, lifting double Ds while pumping.
5   joshuatrio   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 5, 3:42pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

I do CrossFit 5 mornings a week, and do heavy lifting 3x a week during my lunch break as well.

Before that I just did 4x week of heavy lifting.

This by far has been the most effective for me at building muscle and leaning out the mid section. I'm nearing 6 pack territory again.

Eat protein. But skip the powder. Too much fake stuff in it.
6   mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 5, 3:52pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Diet will help you much more than actual work outs, but it's also harder to follow. Low-to-no carb, medium protein and high fat on moderate workout schedules and high protein/high fat on extreme workout schedule. The type of work-outs don't matter too much as long as you actually work your muscles, but weight-lifting / body building likely yields the fastest (visible) results. Some cross-fit or running not to neglect cardio. But diet is at least 60% of it if not more.
7   joshuatrio   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 5, 3:54pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

mell says
But diet is at least 60% of it if not more.

This.
8   WookieMan   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 5, 4:01pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Goran_K says
I haven't been on a beach with my t-shirt off since 2005.

You've got to get to the beach more often. 13 years? I know not everyone is a beach person, but damn. FYI, 80% of people will be larger and in worse shape then you can even imagine, so don't overthink the workout plan too much. If you're not going for the hulk look, I'm a proponent of low weight and high reps if lifting is up your alley.

Gives you more of a runners body compared to what ever on god's green earth that fucking photo Sniper posted. Sorry dude, if we're voting (we're not) that photo needs to go from this thread.
9   MisterLefty   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 5, 4:30pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Agree with Mell. I wasn't a believer in diets but then did the South Beach diet. The first two weeks are cold turkey for carbs which is a bitch, but you will lose weight without exercising. I think running is one of the best exercises. I like Waikiki, but so do the homeless. North Shore may have a surfing event depending. I met Wyland who was painting a mural on a park building there back in the '90's.
10   just_passing_through   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 5, 8:47pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Most of the people on the Hawaiian beaches are fat locals or fat mainlanders.
11   HEYYOU   ignore (13)   2018 Apr 5, 9:46pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Stop eating?
Dehydrating will expose ripped muscle?
Some will do anything that's unhealthy,just for their ego.
12   Sniper   ignore (11)   2018 Apr 6, 10:20am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

WookieMan says

What's the problem, you don't like ripped old guys (like me)? What would you prefer?

Would this be a better representation of a built body, being that almost 3/4's of the population is overweight and obese?

13   Sniper   ignore (11)   2018 Apr 6, 10:23am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

WookieMan says

OK, so hopefully we won't see family pictures of Goran's trip that look like this:

Or, is that the norm today?
14   Goran_K   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 6, 10:27am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

just_passing_through says
Most of the people on the Hawaiian beaches are fat locals or fat mainlanders.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I’m definitely going to be doing more pullsups, push-ups and sit ups.

My problem isn’t being fat, in fact I may be a lilttle under weight. I just want to look decent with my shirt off, not body builder big, not too skinny.

I only eat two meals a day, drink 95% water (with some wine and occasionally whiskey), and I take 40 minute walks everyday. While that’s been good for my general health and fitness, it hasn’t helped me get “toned”.
15   Goran_K   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 6, 10:28am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Sniper says

I’m open sniper. All ears!
16   Goran_K   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 6, 10:29am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

WookieMan says
Goran_K says
I haven't been on a beach with my t-shirt off since 2005.

lol, I’ve been to the beach plenty. It’s the shirt off part that I haven’t done in a while.
17   CovfefeButDeadly   ignore (4)   2018 Apr 6, 10:44am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Sniper says
WookieMan says

Or, is that the norm today?

Where'd you get that pic of Dan?
18   Sniper   ignore (11)   2018 Apr 6, 10:45am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Goran_K says
I’m open sniper. All ears!

Pop Tarts!!

Goran_K says

That's the same issue I have. I'm not fat and can be considered thin. When on the beach with all the other Orcas that are there, people have asked me if I lost weight. My response, "I haven't lost any, but you surely have gained a ton."

The thin guys on the beach actually stick out worse, but I don't give a crap about that. All I know at my age, I can outrun any of those fatties on the beach.

Goran_K says

That's also similar to mine. I actually don't watch my diet at all (my diet truly sucks, as my wife says, and I'm the healthiest one in the family), since I don't have to. I don't drink much water (unless you consider it mixed with coffee counting). I also rarely drink, except maybe on weekends a few beers, so I don't get extra calories from it.

Keeping moving is the biggest key and burning off excess calories. I'm always looking to run around with the grandkids, take the dog for walks, get out on my mountain bike or do any type of projects. That's all I need to stay in balance.
19   Sniper   ignore (11)   2018 Apr 6, 10:47am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

CovfefeButDeadly says
Where'd you get that pic of Dan?

I don't think he fished much (except at Georgies).
20   Patrick   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 6, 1:13pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Can't decide if that's a personal attack on another user since he hasn't been a user for quite a while now.
21   joshuatrio   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 6, 1:18pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Goran_K says

Eat more [and clean]. Lift more. That's really all there is to it.

Pushups and pullups will get you plenty toned, but if you want more mass, you'll have to grab a bar and some weights.
22   Rin   ignore (4)   2018 Apr 6, 10:06pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Variable weighted vest with dive bomber pushups and squats. Be careful and don't hurt yourself here.

Some dumbbells to blast the biceps here and there.

Cable rowing for the lats.

The Housing Trap