1   joshuatrio   ignore (0)   2018 May 8, 7:11am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I like my HOA. Keeps our neighborhood looking nice, without being over controlling. Yes, we allow in ground basketball hoops and people have the flexibility to do what they want with their property. It's only the front yard that proposals have to be submitted for, while the back yard is fair game. I joined the board last year, so I knew what was going on, and it's a good way to go if you want to maintain your property value.

Biggest reason people hate HOA's, is because the HOA can place a lien on your property for not following the rules - and a lot of people are lazy and don't want to cut their lawns/follow the rules. POA's can limit the number of rentals in neighborhoods as well, which people don't like as well.
2   Tenpoundbass   ignore (15)   2018 May 8, 8:18am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I like not having an HOA, I will have my house paid off in less than two years.
I don't need the HOA assessing $8K of property spruce ups that then only serves to raise the cost of the HOA fee, and your property taxes.

My neighbor did a ton of work on her house a few years back. Asked me when am I going to update my house. I told her I'm in no hurry to raise my tax rate.
She got hit big this year because they raised the value of her property every permit she pulled. Also her insurance went up.

That's why I cut my grass once a month in the Summer. You make it nice, the city and the local RE bastards want it, they will drive up prices of everything they can hit you with to out price you out of your own house.

She now says, she understands what I meant.
3   FortWayne   ignore (4)   2018 May 8, 8:50am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

HOA is the worst decision you can make in your life, petty horseshit fights and people trying to take advantage.

If you can avoid it, avoid it.
4   CornPoptheOriginalGangster   ignore (5)   2018 May 8, 9:05am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The scum rises to the top. It's the busybodies who will be on the HOA Boards. Example: Pushy Retirees who want everybody's garage half open during the day, not realizing that half the people in the community have 9 to 5 jobs and aren't going to leave their garage open to any schmuck who wanders in.

Fining people for cussing when they drop something heavy on their foot in their garage. Total BS.

HOAs should be limited to grounds and road maintenance and they must document all bidding process, because HOA people get kickbacks from contracts to choose them. Everything beyond basic upkeep should require a 2/3 majority of the residents. Liens should be limited to amounts over $5,000.
5   joshuatrio   ignore (0)   2018 May 8, 9:20am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

FortWayne says

If you can avoid it, avoid it.

It really depends on the HOA you're apart of. I've found that the one we're involved in is pretty cool. Great group of people.

TwoScoopsOfDragonEnergy says
The scum rises to the top. It's the busybodies who will be on the HOA Boards.

Not really, two IT guys (me one of them), and a bank president manage most of it. We're all laid back and are just trying to help manage the neighborhood common areas (pool/community areas).

TwoScoopsOfDragonEnergy says

I'm sure kickbacks have happened, but most HOA's operate on a limited budget with checks/balances to make sure there isn't waste. In our community, any bids/work done have to be agreed on by the entire board.

TwoScoopsOfDragonEnergy says

Yeah, those are the HOA's who have gone too far.

I understand the hate, but there are good middle-ground HOA's that actually serve their purpose.
6   Quigley   ignore (2)   2018 May 8, 9:38am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

My experience is that an HOA is as good or bad as the people on the board. I only lived in one for three years but I saw both sides of the coin.
They fucked us for “mandatory upgrades” when we sold and left, another $1300 we had to spend to just get sale approval from the HOA.

I’m quite happy to be living in a stand alone house without an HOA. I keep up my yard reasonably, and my neighbors mostly do as well. Maybe one or two parks their nasty old boat or RV in the front, but I don’t have to gaze at them all the time. I’d rather live and let live than have to control everything all the time.
Prices continue to rise whatever we do.
7   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (43)   2018 May 8, 10:42am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

No HOA can or will fuck with you if you're on your front lawn chugging Jack and begging the cunts to fuck with you from behind your M134.
8   HeadSet   ignore (2)   2018 May 8, 10:56am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Pushy Retirees who want everybody's garage half open during the day

Why would anyone want the garage door half open? What is the purpose?
10   Iranian_Oil_Burse   ignore (6)   2019 Sep 7, 8:33am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Booger says

Um, I call bullshit on this one: the "Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005" makes it illegal for an HOA to restrict owners from displaying a U.S. flag.
11   Fortwaynemobile   ignore (2)   2019 Sep 7, 9:25am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I don’t know true or not. But I guarantee many don’t know about those laws.

Plus let’s remember how zealously anti America liberals get.

Iranian_Oil_Burse says
Booger says

12   HEYYOU   ignore (34)   2019 Sep 7, 10:00am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The house is not a flag.
Fuck any Republican idiots that don't respect the flag.
13   theoakman   ignore (0)   2019 Sep 7, 10:03am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I remember looking for a dog and I came across an ad of some guy looking to borrow someone's beagle to get it weighed. The HOA had a 25 pound limit. It was a hilarious ad because he was willing to fork out $100 bucks just to borrow your dog for 20 minutes while he took him to the HOA approved vet to weigh.
14   theoakman   ignore (0)   2019 Sep 7, 10:04am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Iranian_Oil_Burse says
Booger says

HOAs try to pull illegal nonsense all the time
15   6rdB   ignore (0)   2019 Sep 7, 10:39am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I live in a centrally located neighborhood in a huge city without an HOA and with no mandatory fees. It is great, and people tend to keep their properties in shape!
16   WineHorror1   ignore (1)   2019 Sep 7, 10:47am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

6rdB says

I would NEVER purchase in an HOA. Why would anyone want a mini government telling them what to do all the way up to and including what color their front door was? Cray cray.
17   BayArea   ignore (1)   2019 Sep 8, 2:03pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

My experience with HOA was a costly disaster.

I advise people avoid HOA at all costs.

For 9yrs it was just expensive monthly payments. And then in the 10th year they hit every owner with $10k worth of emergency assessments related to roofing and sprinklers. I consulted legal only to find I had no recourse. Imagine what that did to my returns.
18   HeadSet   ignore (2)   2019 Sep 8, 2:21pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I guess the next volley in that war would be to put a junk car on blocks in the front yard, and get a bass fish shaped mailbox. Your neighbors should then thank you for lowering their assessments/taxes as well.
19   6rdB   ignore (0)   2019 Sep 8, 6:04pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

My neighbor has a rusty 1950's Ford in his driveway with empty tires. I suggested cinderblocks but that has not yet happened
20   HeadSet   ignore (2)   2019 Sep 8, 6:12pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

6rdB says

If that is a Fairlane with that retractable hard top, I want it.
21   6rdB   ignore (0)   2019 Sep 8, 6:14pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

A light blue truck, ca 1958. Thanks for the bass shaped mailbox idea - I might get it for his birthday.
22   HeadSet   ignore (2)   2019 Sep 8, 6:21pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

6rdB says
A light blue truck, ca 1958

Someone may want to restore that. I do not like them, as the 50's trucks had tiny beds despite the bloated cabs and fenders.
23   6rdB   ignore (0)   2019 Sep 8, 6:36pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

HeadSet says

I hear him talk about restoration for last 2-3 yrs.
A more extreme idea (relative to just a rusty truck in driveway) that we have talked about is to put a few long guns in back of this pickup truck and sit in front yard drinking beer from cans...
24   HeadSet   ignore (2)   2019 Sep 8, 6:56pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

sit in front yard drinking beer from cans...

Try sitting on the porch couch drinking from a "kegerator."
25   BayArea   ignore (1)   2019 Sep 8, 7:17pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Let the statistics show that 95% of restorations never happen and the classic just sits in the driveway rusting away and pissing off neighbors...

I have neighbors on my street going on 20+ yrs since they told me “restoration should start next year”
26   6rdB   ignore (0)   2019 Sep 8, 7:30pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

BayArea says
pissing off neighbors...

Does not really piss me off...more like I am amused. Probably has saved me some RE tax $$$.

Restoration timeline will likely be similar to ones in your neighborhood.
27   TrumpingTits   ignore (2)   2019 Sep 8, 8:36pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Iranian_Oil_Burse says

Yet, it keeps happening. See, most of these laws like that one and the FCC rule that declares HOA restrictions on satellite dishes illegal USUALLY HAVE NO TEETH.

Yup. This law you quote is right here:

NO TEETH.

Oh, I am sure the resident can take it to federal court to get injunction relief. But how much will that cost the resident in legal fees? And the HOA can go ahead and fine you anyway. You don't pay, they put a lien on your house anyway. Just to be assholes about it in retaliation. So you'll have to go to federal court again to get the lien abolished when you want to sell the house. Meanwhile, those Home Asshole Association pricks will be filing a NEW lien just to fuck with you some more...

So these HOA laws should ALWAYS have either criminal penalties for HOA Board Members pulling this shit or allow for set tort liability against THE BOARD MEMBERS and not the HOA, else those fuckers will just raise HOAs fees on everyone else for their petty, unconstitutional tyrannies.

Oh, and LOSER PAYS should be part of that tort liability too.