Samsung Sold Me A Lemon Refrigerator And Failed To Honor Their Warranty

By ohomen171 following x   2018 Jul 9, 3:10am 821 views   47 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

#SamsungrefrigeratorsDear Geoff and Alan:

In September of 2016, Elena and I paid over $2,500 for a Samsung fridge (4 doors, icemaker, etc. In June of 2018 after the one-year warranty had expired, it started to make a loud noise. The freezing compartment partially failed.

A very reliable appliance repair company came out to look and spent 5 hours tearing it apart and examining it in detail. As a matter of interest, the tech was a Russian man who had once taught engineering in Russia. The conclusion was that the compressor motor in the back of the fridge had failed. The estimated repair bill was $2,000-$3,000. The good news was that it was covered under a five-year warranty.

What happened next was a nightmare of 800-number calls (some lasting 1.5 hours), obstructions, lying and game playing. A Samsung-approved tech came out. He told me reassuringly that the compressor motor was only short of freon. He told me to contact a freon company to get it charged up. I was charged $240.00 for this consultation. I contacted another company. A technician came out and charged up the freon. The compressor in the back of the fridge failed. It partially came back to life later. This tech agreed with the first company that the compressor had failed and needed to be repaired or replaced.

A decent company would have honored their warranty. They would have decided that the repair was too expensive and sent us a new fridge. Instead I knew that I was facing another round of 800-number calls, obstructions,and lies. I sent a report to Samsung about this on a customer satisfaction survey. I never got a response.

I had to buy a new fridge from LG. It cost Elena and I close to $3,000. I feel that legal action in California Superior Court or US District Court is warranted. You are the experts.

With kindest regards,

« First    « Previous    Comments 8 - 47 of 47    Last »

8   MrMagic   ignore (11)   2018 Jul 9, 8:39am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

ohomen171 says
Samsung Sold Me A Lemon Refrigerator

Maybe you should have bought the stainless steel model, instead of the yellow one.

9   P N Dr Lo R   ignore (0)   2018 Jul 9, 8:44am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

ohomen171 says
Maybe that's what's wrong with Russia? Taking five hours to determine a compressor is bad is ridiculous anyway, a competent tech could have determined it in 30 minutes.

ohomen171 says
paid over $2,500 for a Samsung fridge
Should have bought a Frigidaire. I bought the current one 12 years ago, it replaced another Frigidaire that was 35 years old and still working except for some fan noise.
10   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (33)   2018 Jul 9, 8:50am   ↑ like (6)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Whirlpool, Frigidaire and Amana are all reliable by most lab and field metrics. I was left out when Amana abandoned window AC units and took a wild winger on a Kenmore, hoping that Sears would somehow survive.

My Frigidaire had a fan go. Guy replaced it in 20 minutes because the scheme is modular, nearly a click-in procedure. I really like any technology that is designed for normal maintenance. Excites my outlaw sensibilities somehow.
11   HEYYOU   ignore (16)   2018 Jul 9, 8:54am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Garage sales,yard sales,estate sales are places that people with egos don't want to be seen.
Speaking of seen,I'll show you the money that I haven't wasted my whole life trying keeping up with everyone else.
....
APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch says

Why do you hate repair scams & planned obsolescence? That's America!
12   FortWayne   ignore (2)   2018 Jul 9, 9:02am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Usually fridges that have ice dispenser inside the fridge have leaky gaskets because of temperature regulation problem.

That’s one thing I know about those things.
13   Goran_K   ignore (1)   2018 Jul 9, 9:05am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch says
Whirlpool, Frigidaire and Amana

I always thought Frigidaire was a budget brand.

I'll take a look though, since I too am into the market for a new fridge.
14   P N Dr Lo R   ignore (0)   2018 Jul 9, 9:26am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

FortWayne says
Just like cars, the more complicated, the more chance of problems. I keep three water containers with taps on my refrigerator shelves, refill them when needed, what a concept.
15   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (33)   2018 Jul 9, 9:56am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

ohomen171 says

Right. The old Sears power tool model. Bring in the broken one and we pitch it and replace it. Done. Customer gets an apology, a new tool, is made whole and is sent on their way with a story that brings in new custom.
16   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (33)   2018 Jul 9, 10:00am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

HEYYOU says
Why do you hate repair scams & planned obsolescence? That's America!

And apparent Korean!
17   Automan Empire   ignore (1)   2018 Jul 9, 10:02am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

GF's refrigerator has in-door water and ice. Not sure what brand.

The water comes out at or slightly higher than room temperature. The crushed ice takes 20 seconds of garbage disposal noise to crush and deliver one cube worth. The cube dispenser instantly overfills a 20oz cup no matter how carefully you feather the trigger lever, then you're left foot-hockeying several cubes out of the back door.

They wonder why I drink directly from the tap when I just want a quick drink.
18   RC2006   ignore (0)   2018 Jul 9, 10:46am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Appliances are easy to fix, in the last ten years I have fixed everything myself at a cost of about $100 and a few hours of time easily saved myself over a thousand or two. 90% of things that can fail are common issues and there are probably a ton of videos on YouTube on how to fix each thing. Parts are really easy to find these days also online or just a trip to appliance parts store.

Just buy American if possible.
19   zzyzzx   ignore (1)   2018 Jul 9, 10:50am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

MrBark says
Which "American" manufactures actually build appliances in the US, made from US parts? Most slap an egregious American flag on it and say "proudly assembled in America" in fine print.

Still better than foreign designed and imported.
20   DASKAA   ignore (3)   2018 Jul 9, 10:51am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

You gave up too easy. I've had similar problems with KitchenAid fridge and the fuckers have fullfilled all their warrantly obligations. It took almost 2 years and 6-7 visits by techicians from various repair companies, but the fucking thing is finally working like it's supposed to (and has been for the last 3 years, knock on wood). And the fucking Whirlpool fucking paid of all of it. At a certain point even their support reps were wondering "why the fuck aren't we giving you a new fridge", but apparently it all boils down to the time frame in which certain number of warranty repairs have to occur, and my POS missed them couple of time by a hair. Bottom line: be persistent, demand what you've paid for to be given to you.
21   RC2006   ignore (0)   2018 Jul 9, 10:51am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch says
ohomen171 says

I have been pleasantly surprised with dealing with American companies with regards to replacing things. Not sure if it’s always been like that or it's because of online reviews these days and not wanting negative publicity.
22   Automan Empire   ignore (1)   2018 Jul 9, 11:08am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

RC2006 says

Agree. I wore out two belts and a water pump on my old OLD Maytag washer that was ancient when I moved into my house. When the transmission finally went I started buying $150 used ones from the cheap appliance store. These are "newer old" Maytags, old enough not to have all the electronics. The appliance store says the newest electronic ones are junk with much more to go wrong.

I've also fixed two friends' ovens this year for a $35 OEM igniter and 20 minutes of long, low reaching.

Unlike cars, appliances tend to be modular and easy to replace most components.
23   DASKAA   ignore (3)   2018 Jul 9, 11:12am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

P N Dr Lo R says
Just like cars, the more complicated, the more chance of problems.

I don't think it's quite true: Yugo was very simple but a giant POS nevertheless. Toyota trucks are spaceships in comparison, but still dead-nuts reliable.
24   Automan Empire   ignore (1)   2018 Jul 9, 11:15am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

ohomen171 says

Unlike mobile or central air systems, refrigerators (and window A/Cs) are "hard piped" meaning everything is copper tubing and soldered together. Unlike mobile A/C with flexible sections of line or central systems with joints, there is no way for the refrigerant to become low, without there being a physical HOLE somewhere, usually traceable to Dear Wife defrosting it using a knife and fork.

There's no such thing as an A/C or refrigerator that's "Just low on freon." The freon (refrigerant to be technical, nobody uses actual freon) had to leak out somehow! Low refrigerant is a SYMPTOM, never the root problem.
25   P N Dr Lo R   ignore (0)   2018 Jul 9, 11:16am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Automan Empire says
They wonder why I drink directly from the tap when I just want a quick drink.
I open the door and press the tap on one of my three water containers--one is from the 1930's that I bought at a mall, the other a Coca-Cola one also found at a mall. The 3rd is a two gallon glass one made by a company in business since 1926 that I paid $4.95 for at Walmart.
26   DASKAA   ignore (3)   2018 Jul 9, 11:16am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

ohomen171 says
In September of 2016, Elena and I paid over $2,500 for a Samsung fridge
...

Dude, this is a Small Claims Court matter, judging from the numbers.
27   NuttBoxer   ignore (2)   2018 Jul 9, 11:40am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Sue, you have the expert witness to back up your claim, plus the paperwork to support their breach of contract.

I can't comment on fridges, but we recently purchased our first ever new washer and dryer because I didn't want to hassle with making repairs. Speedqueen has been a solid US brand forever, and even their low end sets are made to last 20+years. I'd hope there's a similar solid brand for fridges.
28   HEYYOU   ignore (16)   2018 Jul 9, 12:52pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Let's all thank Republicans & Democrats for allowing Unregulated Free Enterprise American Corporations to outsource their factories.
It's what the Two Party's intend,destroy America.
29   Tenpoundbass   ignore (11)   2018 Jul 9, 1:49pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

2 years is all you can expect to get out of any brand Fridge these days.
My wife and I bought a GE Profile fridge back in 2015, it broke in 2017, then we bought a Samsung two door up top and the bottom drawer number to replace it.
So far it has held up better than the GE did. The GE had a Plastic Ice maker cork screw which broke the first hot summer when the ice maker ice froze to a solid lump.
That was the shittiest fridge ever I'll never buy another GE. So far everything we've been buying has been Samsung and has held up pretty good. Though their laptops definitely are made to expire in 2 years. I'm on my thirds now. But then again so are Dells and other brands. The 60 inch TV in the LR we're on our 4th or 5th year out of now.
30   Tenpoundbass   ignore (11)   2018 Jul 9, 1:53pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

zzyzzx says
Why the fuck are you buying an appliance made by a foreign company when there are plenty of US based manufacturers appliances available for purchase?

We haven't made appliances here in America in years, we have our badges on foriegn crap. Hopefully that is changing. I look forward to buying only American made goods someday. Even there's a 30% premium on them. As long as they are made of long lasting quality. As I'm a believer in "Buy Good, and Buy Once, By God!"
31   Tenpoundbass   ignore (11)   2018 Jul 9, 2:25pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I left out an important part. This time around when I went fridgerator shopping I really got down and up and personal with the Fridges.
Pull it out and look at the back. Is there a solid sheet metal sealed back or is just a cut out piece of brown paper or cardboard?
Pull out the ice maker does it have a metal cork screw to churn the ice or is it a Plastic Cork screw?
Look at the racks do they have flimsy plastic clips in the side of the fridge to hold the racks or there solid groves for the racks to slide through?
Are the racks glass and metal or they plastic that is bound to break in about a year?
I really looked at the build quality more than I ever have after realizing my $2100 GE Profile fridge was a total cheap piece of shit that should not have cost a penny over $500 based on flimsy cheap build materials and the construction quality alone.
32   Philistine   ignore (0)   2018 Jul 9, 2:36pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Our GE fridge is a 20 year old monument to mediocrity that is still somehow more sturdy and reliable than a lot of the new and fancy garbage they make today. I was considering it's time to shop around for a replacement, but you guys have given me several reasons to add to my very long list of why I'm a cheap fuck.
33   georgeliberte   ignore (0)   2018 Jul 10, 5:53am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Dont get sears Kenmore or GE. Both use cheap parts. That was my experience; however, I had an a Amana that I bought used for $200 and ran for six or sevvven years. I replaced it with a GE and that broke down in less than three years. U just nought another Amana and the five-year warranty.
34   Quigley   ignore (0)   2018 Jul 10, 7:36am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Automan Empire says
Low refrigerant is a SYMPTOM, never the root problem.

Wow! Someone knows about HVAC! I’m glad not everyone is some kind of computer programmer!
35   Aphroman   ignore (7)   2018 Jul 10, 7:44am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Philistine says

Same here. My GE was aged 15 years ag when i moved in. Just finishing a total rebuild of the kitchen and excited to plug in the Haier fridge i bought from Costco. The little Haier window AC i bought at university ~20 years ago is still blowing strong, so i figure Haier knows what they’re doing in this sector
36   zzyzzx   ignore (1)   2018 Jul 10, 8:24am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Aphroman says

My little Haier unit only lasted me like 7 years. Having said that, I used the crap out of it. It lives on as a vacuum pump that I used to evacuate A/C units during the repair process.
37   zzyzzx   ignore (1)   2018 Jul 10, 8:25am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Tenpoundbass says
2 years is all you can expect to get out of any brand Fridge these days.

I'm still using a Fridgaire that I bought in 2003.
38   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (33)   2018 Jul 10, 8:26am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

zzyzzx says
I'm still using a Fridgaire that I bought in 2003.

Ballsy fridge!
39   Ceffer   ignore (1)   2018 Jul 10, 10:59am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

LG has a switch that lets you switch the ice maker off, which is where it stays.
40   DASKAA   ignore (3)   2018 Jul 10, 11:01am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Ceffer says

They all have it.
41   HEYYOU   ignore (16)   2018 Jul 10, 11:14am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

If Trump/Republicans cared about Americans,they would nuke all Samsung properties.
Hell,if they loved America they would nuke all outsourced Chinese manufacturing to
keep all the Republicans from being able to buy Communist China products & destroying America.
42   RC2006   ignore (0)   2018 Jul 10, 11:18am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

To any of you that use the ice maker even if it works fine I would pull it out and look at it if your fridge is over 10yo. mine started having some issues and when I took the whole unit out (only a few screws holding it) the inside of the trays had some sort of plastic coating on the metal that was breaking down. I replaced the whole thing for with a $50 oem one I got off amazon. Also I like the ones that have the ones that have the low profile water dispenser on the inside and avoid any fridge that disperses water and ice through the door.

Example:
43   komputodo   ignore (0)   2018 Jul 10, 12:12pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

RC2006 says

I agree with you 100%....I do the same....I can't imagine trying to maintain a house and its appliances by contacting and paying techs...Not only would I be pissed off all the time, I'd probably also be broke. I'm retired so I also fix lots of stuff for friends and neighbors too. Even get contacted from long distance by friends asking for repair advice. It's fun and keeps me entertained. I'm originally from the CA bay area so I had to get over the mindset that " time is money" and enjoy it like putting together a puzzle. Plus the bonus is that every now and then, you pull of a miraculous repair which even surprises yourself.
44   komputodo   ignore (0)   2018 Jul 10, 12:58pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Quigley says

Writing code is an admirable profession for working as an employee and earning $$$ but in the real world, not too practical.
45   Aphroman   ignore (7)   2018 Jul 10, 1:06pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

komputodo says
Quigley says

Not to mention if you value your own happiness, it sure seems to make most people fucking miserable. Look around at the online presence of STEM people in general, and their worldview. Most of them sound like suicidal cowards who just don’t have the balls to give it a go
46   komputodo   ignore (0)   2018 Jul 10, 2:21pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Aphroman says

Writing code is completely beyond my skill set. I actually believe that it takes a certain type of mind to be able to do it. The times that I have tried to learn even the most basic forms of C++ drove me crazy, lol. OTOH, I love the challenge of fixing a microwave oven or an electric fan or revive a dead samsung tablet or a broken sewing machine. Even fix a no-start car problem. That's easy compared to writing code.
47   Hircus   ignore (0)   2018 Jul 11, 12:27am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

georgeliberte says
Dont get sears Kenmore or GE. Both use cheap parts.

Kenmore has always used the other major appliance manufacturers to build their appliances. Always.

They tend to use a mix of brands, so it really depends on the model which company is building it. You can usually tell by a few minutes of comparison on the salesfloor to see the similarities to the name brand.

But, they do spec the thing, and so I wouldn't be surprised if in recent years they make the companies build it extra cheap for them. But in the past, they often had them build it better. But sears is a corpse.

Anyway, Samsung is a good brand. Sounds like ohoman got a bad repair tech. Most repair techs suck a fat one - they get very little training and have low expectations of them. They typically guess and replace parts over and over until it gets fixed.

« First    « Previous    Comments 8 - 47 of 47    Last »