Singapore Airlines named the world's best airline for 2018

By MisterLefty following x   2018 Jul 24, 3:28am 1,190 views   12 comments   watch   nsfw   quote     share

The Skytrax World Airline Awards were announced in London on Tuesday, coinciding with the Farnborough Air Show. The awards are based on surveys of more than 20 million travellers, who rated more than 335 airlines between August 2017 and May 2018.

Singapore Airlines knocked off last year's winner, Qatar Airways, for the top spot. Asian airlines dominated the list, with seven of the top 10 coming from the region. Lufthansa was the only European airline to make the list.

"A key 'wow' factor for customers is consistency and this proved to a real asset for Singapore Airlines who scored highly across both product and service," said Skytrax CEO Edward Plaisted.

Singapore Airlines CEO Goh Choon Phong accepted the award in London and dedicated it to the airline's 26,000 staff.

1   HeadSet   ignore (1)   2018 Jul 24, 6:08am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Ever flown Singapore Airlines? They obviously hire their Stewardesses for extreme beauty. Young, too.
2   Tenpoundbass   ignore (14)   2018 Jul 24, 7:05am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I flew Singapore Air once, they bumped me up to first class because it was empty and I brought my guitar carry on. The flight crew kept serving me drinks and giving me song requests for me to play on my Martin. Nice bunch of people.
Funny before I actually went to Asia and flew here in the States Asian airlines had a stigma here in the States as being subpar to the States in everything.
From what I saw in every airline I flew in Asia they blow America's airline industry away. From sensible airports, the armed guys are off to the side with automatic weapons. They'll get the drop on you, if you go in there trying to get silly. Never once did I find a bottle neck of affirmative action stupidity in the name of security. The planes were cleaner, the staff were more accommodating, everything about it blew our industry away. I'm ashamed of air travel in the Untied States.
3   anonymous   ignore (null)   2019 Mar 7, 6:17pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Really great airline. Their coach class is better than a lot of business class offerings on other airlines, especially anything based in the U.S.

4   MrMagic   ignore (11)   2019 Mar 7, 6:22pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (2)   quote   flag

Kakistocracy says
Really great airline.

Is that who you fly with when you come here and visit from Russia?
5   anonymous   ignore (null)   2019 Mar 7, 6:39pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The only "stigma" concerning airlines is that U.S. based carriers suck at international travel, always have - always will.

They weren't worth a damn in the 90s, or beyond. Plus they put the senior flight attendants on those routes because those slots are based on seniority hence you get to spend 12 or more hours with your grandparents serving you who are dealing with PMS and god only knows what else.

By all means don't ask for anything between meal and drink service if you value your life.

Asian based carriers have been the standard bearer for decades.

Flew Air Canada last year to Korea - 787 - awesome - Premium Economy - small 21 seat section of the plane, no sense to pay for business

Did an Airbus A-350 last fall - same route - no where near as nice, noisy in comparison to the Dreamliner as well.
6   P N Dr Lo R   ignore (0)   2019 Mar 7, 7:04pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I thought Quentin Crisp was dead.
7   6rdB   ignore (1)   2019 Mar 7, 7:15pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Tenpoundbass says

Same as I observed. Food is better, attendants young and helpful (not 60-yr old PMS stricken individuals like in US), airports better organized and so on. Even flights to some middle-of-nowhere city in Asia were better than nearly any United flights in US. Plus, Asian airlines do not beat passengers as is common in US (at least for United)
8   Ceffer   ignore (2)   2019 Mar 7, 7:19pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

In Russian airlines, if you ask the stew for a pillow, she clubs you over the head with a bottle of vodka, declares "Now you sleep!", takes a swig and staggers down the aisle.
9   HonkpilledMaster   ignore (5)   2019 Mar 7, 10:04pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Changi Airport should simply be copied. No Airport Executive should be allowed to manage, plan, or develop a US Airport without a year stint there.
10   georgeliberte   ignore (0)   2019 Mar 8, 6:28am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

"From what I saw in every airline I flew in Asia they blow America's airline industry away.
Food is better, attendants young and helpful (not 60-yr old PMS stricken individuals like in US), airports better organized and so on. Even flights to some middle-of-nowhere city in Asia were better than nearly any United flights in US. "
Yes, I was impressed with EVA this last trip to Ha Noi in February.
11   georgeliberte   ignore (0)   2019 Mar 8, 6:30am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Actually the Aeroflot crew I saw in Ha Noi were pretty impressive looking. Some nice looking stews.