Brown exempts adults from wearing helmets on scooters, allows them to go 35mph

By MegaForce following x   2018 Sep 20, 11:45am 399 views   9 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

Adults won’t need to wear helmets while riding electric scooters on city streets, thanks to a bill Gov. Jerry Brown signed on Wednesday.

The proposal, Assembly Bill 2989 from Assemblyman Heath Flora, R-Ripon, with support from Bird, one of the state’s leading e-scooter rental companies, also permits scooters to be on streets with a speed limit up to 35 mph. Current law bans scooters on streets with speed limits above 25 mph.

Law does into effect Jan 1.

I am sure this will end well...

1   komputodo   ignore (0)   2018 Sep 20, 2:41pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Have american adults gotten to the point where they can't even decide for themselves what is in their best interests? They need govt. intervention to force them to wear a helmet? This generation of adults is the most "highly educated" group in the history of the usa, yet there are people arguing that they need the govt to control their decision making? What a frigging joke..
2   mell   ignore (2)   2018 Sep 20, 2:52pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

komputodo says

Actually I don't mind Brown doing this. We don't need legislation for everything, free people assume the risk for their actions. In NH I think you only have to buckle up under 18, so what. It's your life. As long as the scooters don't get extra rights/exemptions wrt traffic rules it's fine with me.
3   Heraclitusstudent   ignore (2)   2018 Sep 20, 3:36pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

That poor republican didn't see the Blue Wave bus coming.
4   EBGuy   ignore (0)   2018 Sep 20, 3:57pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Your headline is incorrect. From SFGate:
Besides lifting the helmet requirement for adults, the bill authorizes cities to allow scooters on streets that have a speed limit of 35 mph. At present, scooters can be operated only on streets where the speed limit is 25 mph or less.

The scooters themselves are still limited to a top speed of 15 mph, and are still banned from sidewalks.
5   SunnyvaleCA   ignore (0)   2018 Sep 20, 5:26pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

This law almost seems backwards; only fast vehicles should require helmet use If you crash at 25 MPH, the helmet might indeed save your life. If you crash a 80 MPH, I don't think a helmet is really going to matter.
6   Automan Empire   ignore (2)   2018 Sep 20, 5:26pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

komputodo says
they can't even decide for themselves what is in their best interests?

Remove the backstop of paying for their astronomical medical bills in exchange for the "freedom" to not wear a helmet. Make the debt less dischargable than a student loan, and make it the most senior debt to their estate when they die in a scooter accident.

I understand the British have a legal distinction from "accident" that applies when you're injured while knowingly engaging in risky behavior without adequate safeguards. It's called "misadventure," and I think introducing it would be a great element of tort reform in America.
7   MegaForce   ignore (0)   2018 Sep 20, 5:29pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

komputodo says

I never made that argument. My response was more about the large increase in pending Darwin Award nominees that will soon flood the news, if anything.
8   Automan Empire   ignore (2)   2018 Sep 20, 5:38pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

SunnyvaleCA says
If you crash a 80 MPH, I don't think a helmet is really going to matter.

Obviously you've never watched motorcycle race crashes. I remember a professional rider describing what it was like crashing a bike at ~130MPH. "First you run a little, then you slide a while, then you're running again for a second... you try not to tumble." Proper gear with slide inserts and you won't even have road rash. Human skulls are fragile; I've taken tumbles off dirtbikes into a pile of boulders, and once on a bicycle realized I was pedaling full speed in the dark not toward the gap in the fence, but the segment of chain link fence next to that. Squeezed both brakes went headfirst over the handlebars into the top pole. That used $3.00 helmet off ebay made the difference between a stiff neck and my brains splattered on a college velodrome.

Nowadays I have several half and 3/4 motorcycle helmets that I'll wear when biking or razor scootering even just a block to pick up a car. IDGAF what people think I look like wearing them, it's better than drooling and eating out of a sippy cup for life.
9   HeadSet   ignore (1)   2018 Sep 20, 8:10pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I also am an avid cycler. Do your helmets cut out wind noise? I noticed that regular cycling helmets do not cut out the noise of wind blowing by you ears. By wearing a stocking cap over my ears, I found I can hear any traffic much better and that adds to safety.

The Housing Trap