Where Do You Golf? Traveling and Locally

By WookieMan following x   2018 Sep 24, 9:47am 186 views   9 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

Looking to start a hopefully fun golf course thread on Patnet. Kick ass golf courses off the beaten path. I'm in IL, so Cog Hill is a famous one, that's not what I want in this thread if you get what I mean. Just really cool public courses that don't cost an arm and a leg. I'll try to post links to sites for the courses, but I think everyone here knows how to use a search engine if they want to check it out.

The Bourne - Marseilles, IL (no website - lol)

Aldeen Golf Course - Rockford, IL - http://www.aldeengolfclub.com

Sliver Rock - LaQuinta, CA - http://www.silverrock.org

I have more, but I'll wait to see if this thread catches on or not.
1   komputodo   ignore (0)   2018 Sep 24, 10:32am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Gleneagles at McClaren Pk in SF, CA...You will not break 80 there.
2   WookieMan   ignore (0)   2018 Sep 24, 11:08am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

komputodo says
Gleneagles at McClaren Pk in SF, CA...You will not break 80 there.

Hole E Fuk. Those are some tight fairway lines. Just checked the site. I'm not in CA, but might be in the Bay Area in March and/or September '19. It's going to be a CA kind of year next year hence the thread for non-$300 per round courses. I find the over hyped places are just, meh. Nice, but they usually never live up to the hype. That place looks cool.
3   komputodo   ignore (0)   2018 Sep 24, 12:52pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says
Hole E Fuk. Those are some tight fairway lines.

and everything is on a slope and lightning fast greens
4   WookieMan   ignore (0)   2018 Sep 24, 6:55pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Perfect rec for this thread by the way. Exactly what I was looking for. Cool courses that are generally affordable and fun or tough to play.

No one else on patent golf? I get not everyone does it, but you’re either not athletic in any way or don’t have the money to. Very few people at 30+ with money and don’t golf. Sleepy day/night on the forum I guess?
5   WookieMan   ignore (0)   2018 Sep 24, 6:58pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Lol! Patent = patnet
6   HeadSet   ignore (1)   2018 Sep 24, 7:14pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

If you are ever in the mid Atlantic area there are two great golf courses here. King's Mill in Williamsburg VA where they hold the ladies PGA tourney, and a hidden gem called Kiln Creek in Newport News.
7   WookieMan   ignore (0)   2018 Sep 25, 6:15pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

HeadSet says

I like the hidden gems. No plans to go to VA anytime soon, but will put it in my shank bank ;)
8   clambo   ignore (4)   2018 Sep 27, 7:03am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Jupiter FL has several golf courses, and a couple miles away is PGA also.

I saw Greg Norman, Gary Player, Tiger Woods, Rory Mcilroy, Keegan Bradley, Michael Jordan, Rickie Fowler, Donald Trump out there.

Just kidding, the ocean is much more interesting than a golf course. I tried playing golf once at Cabo Real in Cabo San Lucas, BCS, MX and it was too difficult.

I think those who have money don't just play golf; they have boats too.
9   WookieMan   ignore (0)   2018 Sep 27, 11:47am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

clambo says

I do like the ocean. Played in Cozumel (not sure where, was a cruise, hungover, paired up with a coke head) and it was fairway and then jungle. So yeah, it was a tough course.

I like boats, just never want to own one unless I've got 7 figures hanging in the bank account (mid 30's, so I have time). I can rent them for cheap and still have a good time. So far did Bear Lake, UT/ID, Hebgen, MT and Castle Rock, WI and I think I'm only out $1k in 2018. Do that over 20 years and I'm out $20k and didn't have to fix or do one god damn thing to a boat. You need $20k to get out the door for any boat that is worth owning day 1, unless you're mechanically inclined and get a fixer upper.

The Housing Trap