Blocking spam calls

By Patrick following x   2018 Dec 2, 12:09pm 266 views   7 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

Hey, the iphone has this great feature where you can block all incoming calls except from people in your contacts list.

Navigate to Settings -> Do Not Disturb
Toggle Manual ON (green slider) to enable Do Not Disturb (DND), or schedule a time for DND to automatically switch on
Tap "Allow Calls From"
Select "All Contacts"

Going to use this because I pretty much never want to get a call unless it's from someone in my contacts.
1   NuttBoxer   ignore (2)   2018 Dec 3, 10:27am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

What about tele-recruiters!?
2   everything   ignore (1)   2018 Dec 3, 2:34pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

In android you can star/unstar your contacts to let people through 24*7. Otherwise, being setup for quiet time (do not disturb) between 11-7AM, nothing gets through, except for two starred contacts. Another back door? If someone (anyone) calls twice within two minutes it will ring through.
They will have a hard time spoofing anyone on your contact list, but I somewhat regularly get my 3 digit prefix and area code spoofed.

I use an app called Mr. Number, it has a database that knows to block the bad guys, but let the good guys get through, as in legitimate calls from legit entities that you won't want to miss. It's not perfect, it has a window that can interfere or cover up your display/keypad, etc. but is easily closed, if I could gripe that would be the gripe.

I thought not getting calls from anyone not in my contacts was ok too, and some days I just turn the volume down all the way, at least not being in airport things come through but also don't make any noise. I miss allot of calls anyway. One of the features I'm looking for the next time I upgrade phones will to be able to block text messages.
3   Booger   ignore (1)   2018 Dec 3, 2:49pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

everything says

Or you can turn off your phone every night.
4   MrMagic   ignore (11)   2018 Dec 3, 3:31pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Booger says
Or you can turn off your phone every night.

Wait, and miss an important Facebook status update of someone's Midnight snack?
5   Patrick   ignore (1)   2018 Dec 6, 5:49pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Well, of course it's slightly more complex than I thought.

iPhones with Settings -> Do Not Disturb set to On and "Allow Calls From" do allow calls from your contact list through, but block text notifications from them! Wtf were they thinking?

But you can hack around their oversight by going into your Contacts in the phone app and setting Edit -> Text Tone -> Emergency Bypass for each person you want to get texts from.

Even that leads to yet another bug: when you have "Emergency Bypass" on for a person, you cannot turn off the text tone from them, even if you flip the hardware ringer switch to "off". But still, I mostly have what I want now in terms of avoiding spam calls and texts.
6   Strategist   ignore (2)   2018 Dec 6, 5:53pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

MrMagic says
Booger says
Or you can turn off your phone every night.

Wait, and miss an important Facebook status update of someone's Midnight snack?

Or responding to some comments on Patnet that just can't wait.
7   NoYes   ignore (2)   2018 Dec 6, 6:36pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

But you might miss a call from Wilford
OMG