Dozens of vehicles are left in 'muddy mess of a field' after Google Maps offered drivers a 'shortcut' to Denver airport

By Patrick following x   2019 Jun 28, 8:38am 417 views   17 comments   watch   nsfw   quote     share

Dozens of vehicles struggled through a 'muddy mess' of a road on Sunday after they followed directions from Google Maps that offered a short cut to the Denver International Airport.

Connie Monsees, a Highlands Ranch native, used her Google maps app to divert around a traffic jam on Pena Boulevard on Sunday. She soon wound up on the muddy off-road.

'It eventually took me to a road that...became dirt,' Monsees explained on an ABC News podcast. 'I was not the only one, there was probably a hundred cars out there.'

1   P N Dr Lo R   ignore (0)   2019 Jun 28, 8:50am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

They're the lucky ones. Some people have wound up in life-threatening situations during the winter because they trusted a GPS shortcut. One family was rescued only because the father was able to get a cell-phone signal after he started hiking out.
2   RC2006   ignore (1)   2019 Jun 28, 8:53am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I always love it when it wants me to take side street through skid row, watts, and Compton. Have to use a bit of common sense with modern GPS, but I could see how a stranger could be put in a really bad situation fast.
3   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostikovitch   ignore (41)   2019 Jun 28, 8:56am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

RC2006 says

It's better when I use my Android phone and it diverts through a ghetto and starts sending ads for belt fed ordnance and rocket launchers to the smartphone screen.
4   HEYYOU   ignore (31)   2019 Jun 28, 9:01am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Hilarious!
I'm so clever that no one else will find the shortcut. Research & map one's route before traveling to an unknown area.
Fuck that! I want instant gratification. It's all about me.
5   mbSFBay   ignore (0)   2019 Jun 28, 9:26am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says

I drive in a vanpool from Redwood City to Fremont. We have learnt to ignore google directions. It wants us to take the Willlow Road (going east from 101 sount) for the evening commute for the last couple of years. That exit has been a nightmare forever - and any other driver that follows it probably adds 30 minutes to their commute.
6   willywonka   ignore (3)   2019 Jun 28, 9:34am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Recalculating.....
7   thenuttyneutron   ignore (0)   2019 Jun 28, 10:00am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The shortcut would probably work for a Subaru or 4x4 truck! This is funny stuff.
8   willywonka   ignore (3)   2019 Jun 28, 10:43am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

A missing feature: Warning! High crime neighborhood ahead. Please press YES to continue.
10   Automan Empire   ignore (2)   2019 Jun 28, 11:33am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

This is an IDIOT TEST. Notice not one of the people saw a bunch of stuck cars ahead and had the sense to turn the fuck around while they had good traction.
11   rocketjoe79   ignore (0)   2019 Jun 28, 11:45am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

How are stupid people going to kill themselves now? Google maps has the answer!

With any luck, these "shortcuts" will restore some natural culling of the human herd. Autodrive cars may save too many dumb people though, so it's a wash.
12   WookieMan   ignore (3)   2019 Jun 28, 2:29pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Automan Empire says

I'd guess half the people on the road don't know if they have front or rear wheel drive. To get them to understand traction would be a long shot. Without any substances (booze, prescription, pot, etc) in the mix, I'd guess 20% of people have no business driving a vehicle in America. Coordination, motor skills and finally intelligence just don't mix with some people. Throw in the other shit and 50% of people should be off the road.
13   HeadSet   ignore (1)   2019 Jun 28, 2:56pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Throw in the other shit and 50% of people should be off the road.

Yeah, and they are always in my way.
14   FortWayneIndiana   ignore (4)   2019 Jun 28, 3:10pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Passenger: Hey look it's a cliff, we should stop.
Driver: But google is my master, it tells me to keep going...

At least when I was young and had to drive, we had to use fucking maps and think for ourselves, people rely on technology to think for them way too much sometimes.
15   Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jun 28, 5:58pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

FortWayneIndiana says
Passenger: Hey look it's a cliff, we should stop.
Driver: But google is my master, it tells me to keep going...

This is especially true for politics.
16   RC2006   ignore (1)   2019 Jun 28, 8:09pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

FortWayneIndiana says

Could you imagine Millennials if GPS failed. I still have a backup Thomas guide from the 90s at least.
17   FortWayneIndiana   ignore (4)   2019 Jun 28, 8:48pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

RC2006 says
FortWayneIndiana says

hahaha man I remember those!

I have an old LA map laying in the car still, hella outdated of course, probably missing bunch of streets and freeways, but does give a general sense of direction. And of course still have a compass laying around, useless trinket mostly now a days, but I may never know when it's useful again.