register or log in

#housing #investing #politics
10,852 registered users, 1 online now: tvgnus
public post private group chat

PatNet Improvement Suggestions

By Dan8267   Jan 28, 1:48pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (2)   42 links   8,387 views   130 comments   watch (1)   share   quote

Thread for idea submission for PatNet improvements

#patnet

« First     « Previous     Comments 91-130 of 130     Last »

91   Dan8267   1059/1079 = 98% civil   Jan 31, 8:47am  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Well, there is a way to eliminate personal biases, but it would take considerable effort. One could write an A.I. to determine the trolliness of posts and of users and purge comments appropriately. However, this is a very non-trivial project. It's the kind of problem that is interesting to work on, but requires considerable free time if it's not your job.

This is exactly the kind of thing you'd expect Google labs to work on. It would really leverage their crawling technology.

92   FP   123/123 = 100% civil   Jan 31, 8:55am  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

errc says

Why do you so strongly support personal attacks,

What? Where did you get this from? If you check my interactions on PatNet, you'll see that I tend to pull off from discussion once insults begin to fly. I also rarely insult. Compare my comments with yours in this thread.

Noting that people have let a troll get into their heads is not the same as supporting trolling.

My point here, if it still not clear, is that I do not think that deleting comments is the best way to deal with personal attacks. I have been dealing with them by simply not giving shit and ignoring the comments of the offenders. Just like I'll do with you now.

93   Tenpoundbass   423/424 = 99% civil   Jan 31, 9:00am  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Patrick says

I want to find some set of self-service rules that lets readers get what they want without my being the judge of content.

I think ignore works like a champ. I've only had to use it on a few people, and it works.
I can even temporarily ignore someone that may have posted a recent not work friendly picture on the main page, until that post has left the main page.

94   Tenpoundbass   423/424 = 99% civil   Jan 31, 9:02am  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

iwog says

Let me just say it would have been nice to publicize my conference without Piggy coming out with "YEW FUCK 14 YEAR OLDS!!!" for the 80th time like he was the most clever piggy in the pen.

The people that follow me around just to post "You Suck!" and say nothing else are the only candidates that I put on ignore.
You should try it. It works!

95   jazz music   161/161 = 100% civil   Jan 31, 11:50am  ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

I might be the most high profile advocate of the ignore feature which it feels like has earned me a position of high value target to the trolls. Some have taken names specifically to taunt me.

landtof, Allah the devil, (Strategist) I grope u, Ironman, (CIC) DickheadBill, Ranina ranina, Strategist, blowmeironvagina, DrunkJazz, (CIC) JazztheDrunk (CIC)

Notice the overarching troll agenda: they want to punish non-conforming speech AND prove that trolls rule and enjoy ultimate control of discussion here.

So the ignore feature is essentially defeated by troll patrols when they know you have them on ignore they alert other trolls to relay their trolling though the trolls that you don't ignore.

Notice the incidence of friending is high among the trolls here. Few non trolls maintain patnet friend relationships here so that feature must be key to trolling tactics. They must be using "following" and "friending" to both relay their comments and also alert to swarm on an enemy to make troll attacks more overwhelming to strengthen their ad hominem until the discussion is ended.

The trolls do seem to have close relationships and in effect they enjoy a sport of hunting in groups to punish commenters who reject alt-right propaganda with their relentless ad hominem. Also no left-leaning sources are allowed without the source or the commenter becoming the subject.

The relay is one tactic and so is swarming to attack a user such as myself in a cooperative trolling group.

Most often I experience Strategist relaying CIC's attacks of me. They are the 2 principal trolls.

FortWayne, Tenpoundbass, indigenous may not be hard core trolls but they say amazingly inane things almost all the time so I sometimes ignore them. I really have nothing to say to them.

96   jazz music   161/161 = 100% civil   Jan 31, 11:56am  ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Also since Trump's victory this forum has taken on a new vindictive feel and I have pulled back for a few reasons not just the insufferable nature of so many discussions.

97   justme   73/73 = 100% civil   Feb 3, 10:12am  ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

I would like to give kudos to Patrick for going back to having a thread number in all the URLs. The only thing that would be better would be to have the starting DATE (YYYY-MM-DD or similar) in there, too ;)

Current example:

Earlier year 2016 example:

which is now
and under the hood has URLs like this for the comment section:

I realize that the numeric thread ID always existed under the hood--just want to laud that its now always visible together with the thread title. Thanks, Patrick. It is just the better way to do it. Having a thread with just a Title to identify it seems not so robust when trying to refer to or find old threads one might have saved. What if two have the same title, for example,

98   WaPoIsHitler Lipsovitch   354/354 = 100% civil   Feb 3, 1:42pm  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

A Preview Button for posts!

99   HEY YOU   74/74 = 100% civil   Feb 3, 2:46pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Is there a way to dislike & ignore everyone with one click?
Post HEY YOU next to all his dislikes & ignores.
It nice to let people know what one thinks of them.

100   FP   123/123 = 100% civil   Feb 3, 3:08pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

HEY YOU says

It nice to let people know what one thinks of them.

When people dislike they usually comment. Not so much when they like/agree.

I remember clicking "dislike" only twice. One of them by mistake, which I neutralized with a "like."

101   Dan8267   1059/1079 = 98% civil   Feb 3, 3:17pm  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

HEY YOU says

Is there a way to dislike & ignore everyone with one click?

Yes, delete your PatNet bookmark.

102   Patrick   1043/1043 = 100% civil   Feb 3, 6:29pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

justme says

What if two have the same title, for example,

Can't happen, because title is a unique field in the table.

justme says

Could do that, but then urls get longer. Maybe that's ok. In fact, it would be easily to put the date in the "slug" title like this:

@justme Good enough?

103   justme   73/73 = 100% civil   Feb 3, 8:36pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

>>https://patrick.net/1302399/2017-02-2-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-amazon

@patrick, sure, that will work although I hope you mean always DD and not just D (probably just a typo). Leading 0s are a must for easy sorting!

104   Patrick   1043/1043 = 100% civil   Feb 3, 8:38pm  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

That was just a typo. How about https://patrick.net/1302399/2017-feb-02-the-beginning-of-the-end-for-amazon

If you sort the URLs it will still be sorted by creation date since the post_ID comes first.

105   WaPoIsHitler Lipsovitch   354/354 = 100% civil   Feb 3, 8:39pm  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

justme says

Yeah, DDs are better than Ds for sure.

Although some say more than a handful... I ain't one of them.

106   Patrick   1043/1043 = 100% civil   Feb 3, 8:40pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Lol, I can totally get by with firm well-formed C's.

107   Patrick   1043/1043 = 100% civil   Feb 4, 2:00am  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

justme says

@justme your wish has been granted.

Post slugs now start with YYYY-MM-DD.

108   iwog   491/491 = 100% civil   Feb 14, 4:59pm  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Nooooooooooooooo. What did you do? WHAT DID YOU DO???

109   Patrick   1043/1043 = 100% civil   Feb 14, 5:01pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

iwog says

Nooooooooooooooo. What did you do? WHAT DID YOU DO???

This suggestion by Rew:

"Each section should have its own top trending posts. Each few top trending post should be viewable on the home page."

from https://patrick.net/1302953/2017-02-14-how-to-make-patrick-net-home-page-capture-new-users?c=1380579#comment-1380579

110   iwog   491/491 = 100% civil   Feb 14, 5:41pm  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   top   bottom   home   share

I think Rew made an error.

Most of us kind of skip around and don't dwell on any particular topic. We just like going where the action is.

111   justme   73/73 = 100% civil   Feb 14, 5:41pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

I still think that having all the changing aliases of all the usual suspects on their "home page" would be useful.

112   landtof   34/34 = 100% civil   Feb 14, 6:03pm  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

iwog says

yeah, turn it back.

patrick - simple is clean and elegant. follow the fundamentals. the body should be threads of any topic, with the most recent on top. that is universal. there's not enough breadth of material here to warrant classes or sub-groups, and that's a good thing. whatever the topic, users should feel obliged to freely speak their minds. the menu bar is of most use to new users when they can learn the purpose of the site, learn the lingo (e.g. IHL), learn about the history of the site (housing), and get a quick hit to the top threads & comments of the month, week, day, or all time. thread bodies should not be paginated, but rather dynamically presented based on user preference - if they want to see the whole thing in a long scroll, or just the most recent of the day, for example.

113   errc   160/160 = 100% civil   Feb 14, 6:09pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Agree. I'd much rather the homepage be most recent posts.

114   justme   73/73 = 100% civil   Feb 14, 6:09pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

@Patrick, the problem with categories is that they depend on hasthags and there isn't even a high-priority category for #news. I tried putting #news into my Lake Oroville thread, and i still have to go to "all threads" (?) to see it. Categories are not good, I agree with iwog and landtof. People who want categories should search for them themselves. My interest in a thread does not depend on some semi-arbitrary category designation. It depends one the quality of the content, and the (potential) impact it has for educating me or others.

And, given that half the posters cannot even write a descriptive headline, how can one expect them to assign a proper hashtag or categpory? One man's science is another man's "politics" (climate warming being a good example).

115   Patrick   1043/1043 = 100% civil   Feb 14, 6:10pm  ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

justme says

You're all right. Didn't feel good.

Reverted!

Let me know if any problems linger.

116   Patrick   1043/1043 = 100% civil   Feb 17, 1:56pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

OK, ad hominem comments will no longer be deleted right away, but instead will go to ad hominem comment jail where they can be viewed by everyone and edited by the comment owner.

If a comment in jail is edited, I'll get notified and look at it again, perhaps removing it from jail.

The ad hominem comment jail link is now also in the footer.

117   Dan8267   1059/1079 = 98% civil   Feb 18, 3:07pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

So what's the difference between "active" and "comments" on the front page?

118   Patrick   1043/1043 = 100% civil   Feb 18, 3:17pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

"active" is all posts ever, sorted the most recent creation time or last comment time.

"comments" is posts created in the last day, sorted by the most comments.

119   Patrick   1043/1043 = 100% civil   Mar 3, 5:45pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

You can now follow specific topics, for example #housing

You'll get an email of each new post in housing. But you won't get duplicates if you're already following the author.

Not tested yet, might not really work.

Let me know if problems.

120   Patrick   1043/1043 = 100% civil   Mar 7, 8:32pm  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

I've done away with the 2k comment limit @Dan8267 and hopefully simplified making comments and posts.

Let me know if problems!

121   Dan8267   1059/1079 = 98% civil   Mar 20, 12:25pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

@Patrick, the ignore link is gone. Please bring it back before the trolls start taking advantage of it. I, for one, will ad hom any troll doing any post on my thread while the ignore/ban function is disabled.

122   Patrick   1043/1043 = 100% civil   Mar 20, 1:07pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Hmm, don't know where that ignore link went. Will put it back.

123   Patrick   1043/1043 = 100% civil   Mar 20, 1:54pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Dan8267 says

ignore link is gone. Please bring it back

@Dan8267 OK, it's back now. Was a typo.

124   Patrick   1043/1043 = 100% civil   Mar 20, 3:29pm  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

If people would just stick to arguing the point rather than hating on the person personally, the forum would be a lot easier to run.

But I guess that's true of life as well.

125   Fucking White Male   93/94 = 98% civil   Mar 20, 5:37pm  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Patrick says

Let me know if problems!

Oh god Patrick, I don't think you know what you've done.....

« First     « Previous     Comments 91-130 of 130     Last »

home   top   users   about   suggestions   contact
topics   random post   best comments   comment jail
patrick's 40 proposals
10 reasons it's a terrible time to buy
8 groups who lie about the housing market
37 bogus arguments about housing
get a free bumper sticker: