new post
register or log in

patrick.net's 40 proposals »

10,738 registered users, 3 online now: ddshutlz, ForcedTQ, YesYNot

User Civility Score

By Patrick (270/270 = 100% civil)   Feb 15, 9:21pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike   2 links   1,309 views   39 comments   watch (1)   share   quote

By each comment, I'm now putting a "civility score", which is the ratio of the user's civil comments to total comments made since Feb 15, 2017.

Civil comments are simply those that do not attack another patrick.net user's personal qualities. You can attack anything or anyone else and the comment is still considered civil.

If a comment does attack another user's character, motive, or other attribute of the user making an argument, use the "ad hominem" link to flag it. It will go into comment jail. Anyone can view comment jail.

The user can edit the jailed comment, and Patrick will get notified of the edit, and then perhaps liberate it back to the thread it came from, also restoring the user's lost civility point automatically.

Eventually I'm going to let the most civil users liberate comments from jail so I don't have to be the judge.

#civility #patnet

Comments 1-39 of 39     Last »

1   Ironman (132/140 = 94% civil)   Feb 16, 7:53am  ↑ like   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Patrick says

the moderator (currently Patrick)

Patrick says

I'd like to leave moderation

When are you changing the title and header of the site to "Moderated Speech Forum" from "Free Speech Forum" so it's correct? The current title is not accurate and can mislead new readers.

2   errc (15/15 = 100% civil)   Feb 16, 8:11am  ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

often times you find a solution to a different problem than the one you are intending to. Not sure how this will pan out, but I bet we all end up with a very thorough understanding of the term 'ad hominem '

Ad hominem- (of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.

3   Patrick (270/270 = 100% civil)   Feb 16, 8:12am  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

You're still free to express any point of view, just not personal attacks on another user's qualities.

So "Jane, you ignorant slut." is out of bounds.

But whatever point Jane is making is fair game for attack.

4   Tenpoundbass (95/95 = 100% civil)   Feb 16, 3:18pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Patrick says

So "Jane, you ignorant slut." is out of bounds.

But whatever point Jane is making is fair game for attack.

Yet you said nothing when Iwog called me a Republican.

5   Patrick (270/270 = 100% civil)   Feb 16, 3:41pm  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Do you find it offensive to be called a Republican?

6   Ironman (132/140 = 94% civil)   Feb 16, 3:50pm  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Since you're all into this "civility" gig and "ad-hom" gig, I think you should go "All In". You now send emails when a poster "likes" a comment or thread. It's time to send the same email when a poster "dislikes" a thread or comment.

If it's civility you want, full disclosure should be the rule.

Posters should know both ways who's "liking" and "disliking" their posts.

7   Patrick (270/270 = 100% civil)   Feb 16, 4:19pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Maybe so.

8   jvolstad (12/12 = 100% civil)   Feb 16, 4:34pm  ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

I assume that Realtor's are fair game.

9   Patrick (270/270 = 100% civil)   Feb 16, 4:42pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

As long as they are not registered users on patrick.net.

10   YesYNot (45/46 = 97% civil)   Feb 16, 5:34pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

@Patrick, I noticed a comment of mine disappeared. I'm guessing it was moderated and deleted, but I didn't get any notice. Is that the way it is supposed to work? Seems weird.

11   Patrick (270/270 = 100% civil)   Feb 16, 5:39pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Must have been ad-hom somehow, but I don't remember which one it was exactly. Do you remember approximately what it said?

Still working on a log where ad-hom comments will go, so they won't be permanently deleted in the future.

12   YesYNot (45/46 = 97% civil)   Feb 16, 6:44pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

It discussed the demonstrably 'fake news' that came about during the last election and how it made money for the 'fake news' mills by generating memes on Facebook. Now Trump has labeled most centrist / center left news outlets as 'fake news' in his war on the media. I called this the fake 'fake news,' and I probably insulted the general class of people who are repeating this propaganda. It was a pretty long post and I thought it was substantive. If people cannot see what you deem as offensive, they the line will remain blurry.

13   Macropodia (31/33 = 93% civil)   Feb 16, 6:51pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

What if JaNE is arguing that she is more of an ignorant slut then she is being credited for?

Patrick says

So "Jane, you ignorant slut." is out of bounds.

But whatever point Jane is making is fair game for attack.

14   Macropodia (31/33 = 93% civil)   Feb 16, 6:52pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

I'm batting 84%. Is there any way I can buy back some of my civility?

15   Macropodia (31/33 = 93% civil)   Feb 16, 6:53pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Wait I went up a point. I gotta post more.

16   Ironman (132/140 = 94% civil)   Feb 16, 6:54pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Macropodia says

Is there any way I can buy back some of my civility?

Good luck, with the abundance of Special Snowflakes here.

17   jvolstad (12/12 = 100% civil)   Feb 16, 7:13pm  ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Macropodia says

Wait I went up a point. I gotta post more.

I served in the military for 26 years. Say something good about me. That will boost your score.

18   YesYNot (45/46 = 97% civil)   Feb 16, 7:18pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

@Patrick, maybe it would be better to have an initial period where you just put a strike through the posts deemed uncivil, instead of deleting them. That way everybody can see what is getting deemed uncivil. It's a much more transparent way to go.

19   Patrick (270/270 = 100% civil)   Feb 16, 7:31pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Yes, @YesYNot I will start simply moving ad hominem comments to a separate area instead of deleting them. But still updating scores. Then it all be very transparent.

Give me a day.

20   Patrick (270/270 = 100% civil)   Feb 16, 7:36pm  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

jvolstad says

You could probably have made more money and been safer in a private job for those years, so I appreciate your service to the country! Thank you.

21   jvolstad (12/12 = 100% civil)   Feb 16, 7:41pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Patrick says

You are probably right.

22   Macropodia (31/33 = 93% civil)   Feb 16, 7:51pm  ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

You are one of the most reasonable posters here. And no this is not a self serving post.
jvolstad says

Macropodia says

Wait I went up a point. I gotta post more.

23   Ironman (132/140 = 94% civil)   Feb 16, 8:04pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   top   bottom   home   share

YesYNot says

Wait, weren't you all FOR a "moderated" forum to control people's "Free Speech". Why does it bother you that one of your posts were deleted?

Maybe you should be careful what you wish for.

24   YesYNot (45/46 = 97% civil)   Feb 16, 8:18pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Ironman says

Maybe you should be careful what you wish for.

I don't think I expressed much of an opinion on the moderation topic. It will probably improve the site, so I do think it's a good idea. Getting a comment deleted doesn't change my opinion on the topic, although it was annoying to have a rather long post deleted.

I suspect that I know who will have to change their behavior the most. Unfortunately, I probably cannot say who that is anymore.

25   Ironman (132/140 = 94% civil)   Feb 16, 8:29pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

YesYNot says

I suspect that I know who will have to change their behavior the most.

You think Iwog will be able to exhibit self control and make factual posts without attacks? It might be really difficult for him.

26   mell (19/19 = 100% civil)   Feb 16, 9:43pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

jvolstad says

Thank you for your service!

27   rktbrkr (2/2 = 100% civil)   Feb 17, 6:56am  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

can't we all just get along?

28   Hater (4/4 = 100% civil)   Feb 17, 7:01am  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Patrick says

So "Jane, you ignorant slut." is out of bounds.

Patrick you are a jerk!
Where is my uncivil score?

29   Hater (4/4 = 100% civil)   Feb 17, 7:08am  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

How is my score?

30   Patrick (270/270 = 100% civil)   Feb 17, 7:28am  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Your score looks good.

31   Tenpoundbass (95/95 = 100% civil)   Feb 17, 7:52am  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

So the Ad Hominem button is a virtue signal?
Would it be fair to say anyone that uses it, is virtue signalling again?

32   Patrick (270/270 = 100% civil)   Feb 17, 7:55am  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Tenpoundbass says

So the Ad Hominem button is a virtue signal?

Would it be fair to say anyone that uses it, is virtue signalling again?

The only virtue it signals is the ability to attack the point and not the person.

But you can say the most ridiculous politically incorrect things and they will not be classified as Ad Hominem. Try it!

33   Hater (4/4 = 100% civil)   Feb 17, 10:04am  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Patrick says

Your score looks good.

Don't make me call you an a$$hole!

34   Patrick (270/270 = 100% civil)   Feb 17, 10:48am  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Lol!

35   Ceffer (53/53 = 100% civil)   Feb 17, 11:28am  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

I'm uncivility-impaired, I'll never catch up!

36   Tenpoundbass (95/95 = 100% civil)   Feb 17, 11:34am  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Can I still rant about the shitbirds, without singling a single asshole out?

37   Patrick (270/270 = 100% civil)   Feb 17, 11:36am  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Just try not to identify an individual user.

38   HEY YOU (3/3 = 100% civil)   Feb 17, 6:15pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

FUCK THIS!
I'M GONE!

39   Patrick (270/270 = 100% civil)   Feb 17, 6:17pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share

Remember -- any point that a user makes is fair game.

Their personal qualities are not fair game, because they are irrelevant to the point being made.

Comments 1-39 of 39     Last »

Watch comments by email

home   top   users   about   contact
#investing   #housing   #politics   #humor
housing crash   thunderdome   sexy pix   site suggestions
best comments   ad hominem comment jail   patrick.net on twitter   random post
please recommend patrick.net to democrats