forgot password?   register

#housing #investing #politics more»
10,868 registered users, 1 online now: rpanic01
public post private group chat

Security Nation - Carlsbad, California to photograph every car entering city

By BayAreaObserver   Mar 20, 3:56am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   4 links   220 views   10 comments   watch (0)   quote     share

Carlsbad is expanding its use of automated license plate readers into a system that aims to collect the registration information of every vehicle that enters the city.

The $1 million Police Department project — which will add stationary cameras at 14 key Carlsbad intersections, creating a virtual gateway at the city’s borders — was approved by the City Council last week, sparking outrage over privacy rights and government control from several residents and one council member.

Under the new program, the city will install the cameras on top of six mobile patrol cars and on stationary traffic lights at more than a dozen other locations — primarily at entry points where vehicles come from neighboring cities. The cameras automatically recognize license plates and check the information against a huge law-enforcement database, searching for hits about stolen vehicles, missing persons and other police cases.

The data collected will be deleted after about one year unless it’s needed for a criminal investigation, he said.

Four council members, however, said they’re confident the information can be kept secure and that the system will increase safety for residents and police officers. They also said it may deter criminals from breaking the law in the city.

#Full Article: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/communities/north-county/sd-no-plate-readers-20170317-story.html?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

#Security #BigBrother #Privacy #GuiltyUntilProvenInnocent

Comments 1-10 of 10     Last »

1   lostand confused   155/155 = 100% civil   private mesage   Mar 20, 6:39am  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote   share

How long before they start issuing automatic fines?

2   zzyzzx   442/442 = 100% civil   private mesage   Mar 20, 7:36am  ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike   quote   share

If it helps catch people who are fugitives, or with expired tags, I'm all for it. It can probably also be used as court evidence to potentially exonerate people. If you don't like it, use public transportation or ride your bicycle.

3   Entitlemented   174/174 = 100% civil   private mesage   Mar 20, 12:05pm  ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike   quote   share

lostand confused says

How long before they start issuing automatic fines?

Already have:

I got pulled over when a "pedestrian" jumped off the curb. When I got pulled over, I told the Sheriff did not thing that the late jump off the curb, (jumped off immediately behind a car 6-8 car lengths ahead of me.

After the police issued me a ticket for not stopping for pedestrian, police said "this was a decoy police officer".

I have never been so angry in my life. They set up a trap that I could not see the officer, he jumped off suddenly and walked quickly almost ran to the side of my car to try to create a "Perception" that I failed to stop.

I talked to safety and the officers boss - both were in favor of the cop without seeing the video that was made. I asked the superior officer about the procedures, and he went through them. When I asked for a copy of the Crosswalk procedures - all of a sudden there were no proceedures. I had a pre-hearing, which a video allows the citizens to work for the City on the weekend for effectively $12/hour to pay Ceasar.

I asked for a copy of the video of the Superior Officer and the Judge - both denied the request. I filled out a Supeona, the police denied the request. I went to court, the showed me the video before court, which clearly showed a decoy cop hugging the curb, and literally jumping off so close to the car ahead that he nearly hooked his pants cuffs.

Multiple Felonies and Fraud conducted by the Sherriff/Police, no due process, made up the sting, did not act like a pedestrian, did not allow drivers to see Decoy. Denied Due Process, denied evidence, presumption of Guilt, Officer threats when I asked about retrial.

Judge refused to show evidence, even though I brought my projector and set up in court. Pleaded with trial Judge that the video was the only evidence. Decoy, Officer, Supervisor, Judges denied due process.

We live in a unfair state.

4   zzyzzx   442/442 = 100% civil   private mesage   Mar 20, 12:15pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   share

lostand confused says

How long before they start issuing automatic fines?

Nothing new about this.

5   Strategist   997/999 = 99% civil   private mesage   Mar 20, 12:15pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   share

zzyzzx says

They need to have cameras in every single street, like they have in London. If you can't get away without your picture being taken, you can't get away with a crime.
Terrorism
Robberies
Hit and Run
child abductors
We know who you are, we know what you did, we know where you are. You can run, but you can not hide.

6   Strategist   997/999 = 99% civil   private mesage   Mar 20, 12:20pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   share

Entitlemented says

We live in a unfair state.

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. You seem convinced you were innocent, while the justice system were convinced you were not innocent.
Happens all too often. Just move on with your life.

7   Entitlemented   174/174 = 100% civil   private mesage   Mar 20, 12:31pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   share

Strategist says

They need to have cameras in every single street, like they have in London.

This is the most delicate balance. I am all for enforcing laws which benefit the citizens safety, and protection against all types of criminals.

But how can this morph into a money making non-judicial separate side court for the officers and filmers for setting up a secondary court of abuse - what happened to me is just one example.

8   Ceffer   412/412 = 100% civil   private mesage   Mar 20, 12:43pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   share

This is why the courts insist you get fleeced by a lawyer. So that you get properly denied after $15,000.00 of due process. That would have made you feel better.

9   HEY YOU   387/387 = 100% civil   private mesage   Mar 20, 12:59pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   share

Entitledmented,
Not to worry about this police state in the future.
Democrats & Republican voters will put a stop to
this law enforcement/court system dictatorship,
We wouldn't have these problems if Progressives & Independents had not been running
the country for past 200+ years.

10   Strategist   997/999 = 99% civil   private mesage   Mar 20, 1:55pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   share

Entitlemented says

Strategist says

They need to have cameras in every single street, like they have in London.

I would agree. They need to use resources to go after real criminals instead of setting traps for the average citizen.

Comments 1-10 of 10     Last »

users   about   suggestions   contact
topics   random post   best comments   comment jail
patrick's 40 proposals
10 reasons it's a terrible time to buy
8 groups who lie about the housing market
37 bogus arguments about housing
get a free bumper sticker:

top   bottom   home