Patrick's comments

« First    « Previous    Comments 7977 - 8016 of 8016    Last »

Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 4, 5:36pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

If you think it doesn't work just because Trump thinks it does, and you get Wuhan virus, feel free not to take it and good luck to you.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 4, 5:54pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

porkchopexpress says
By Left-wing logic, this driver must be a Trump supporter which means Trump advocates hitting protesters with cars. Trump is a murderer...case closed.

I wish they had waited a day or two before releasing the fact that it was a black guy.

"White car? WHITE SUPREMACIST!"

Next day:

"Oh."

As it is, the media is going to bury this as fast as Epstein's murder. Doesn't help the cause you know.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 4, 6:00pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Lol, yes, they were IMMEDIATELY blaming "right wing" extremists:

And this from someone who goes by "Truth Matters"?

Reminds me a lot of the black guy shooting the white guy at the Kentucky BLM camp. That sure got buried quickly too.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 4, 10:22pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Damn, I made a boatload on Tesla, got nervous and sold at 1000.

Then it went up another 20% in a couple of days.

I put the crosshairs where I bought.

Oh well, you can't lose by winning. I have standing buy order at 800.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 4, 10:26pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Still ambivalent about the ignore thing.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 5, 1:16pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

rd6B says
So, the only reason why HCQ can not be efficient is because trump said it is efficient, and admitting ones own TDS is impossible. It is fucking hopeless and on par of creationist stubbornness in being anti-science just because

@rd6B I think you are right, TDS is exactly analogous to creationism.

At least I understand creationists' internal logic to some degree, and therefore can sympathize. They have put their hope of salvation from the pain of this world into the bible. If the bible is not literally true, maybe they are not actually going to heaven, and this is all there is. That's a pretty dark picture, especially if this life is not going all that well. So they have a profound gut-level motive to believe in creationism. This leads to the necessary mental gymnastics to re-attain equilibrium, and hope.

But for TDS, what is it exactly? Why do they see Trump as threat to themselves? What are the unspoken fears?

My guess at the moment is that they are afraid of the masses of people in "flyover country" who they know they have screwed over for decades by outsourcing their jobs and insourcing illegals. Or they are afraid for their own status as "superior" people who got an "education" at very expensive universities which entitles them to rule over the masses. Trump, as a populist, is a direct threat to the value of their elite education.

To debate on the level of facts is "fucking hopeless" as you say. It's not about facts, it's about fear and loathing of Trump as a representative of... what?
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 5, 1:28pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

And conversely, I admit that some of the joy and hope I feel due to Trump's election is a not-quite-subconscious feeling of vindication after being dragged to HR or not hired for things I have said on my own forum, on my own time.

I used to be firmly on the left. It all seemed obvious to me from listening to NPR. Right-wingers must be idiots, easily manipulated, so dangerous, so violent, horrible people.

Then I was told "You can't say that" or will lose my job, or not get a new one in the Bay Area. And these were about points which are factual, and which I will repeat here once again out of defiance:

- Women are not inclined toward engineering nearly to the degree that men are, and this seems to be biological.
- Human races are more widely divergent than dog breeds, so if it is clear that dogs vary in temperament, human races should also.
- There is no evidence that being gay is inborn, but there is much evidence that it is learned and self-destructive behavior.
- Islam is by far the most violent religion, and that follows directly from the example of Mohammed himself.

So the good news is that leftist ideology does eventually attack and alienate all of its own. There is an end to the Reign of Terror in sight.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 5, 1:31pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says
The most educated are the ones that usually fuck up the most because of their perceived superiority and knowledge. They're infallible. That's not who I want working on my physical body in most cases. Dead serious.

@WookieMan You might really enjoy a lot of the writing of Nassim Taleb. One of his favorite phrases is "Intellectual Yet Idiot":

What we have been seeing worldwide, from India to the UK to the US, is the rebellion against the inner circle of no-skin-in-the-game policymaking “clerks” and journalists-insiders, that class of paternalistic semi-intellectual experts with some Ivy league, Oxford-Cambridge, or similar label-driven education who are telling the rest of us 1) what to do, 2) what to eat, 3) how to speak, 4) how to think… and 5) who to vote for.

But the problem is the one-eyed following the blind: these self-described members of the “intelligentsia” can’t find a coconut in Coconut Island, meaning they aren’t intelligent enough to define intelligence hence fall into circularities — but their main skill is capacity to pass exams written by people like them.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 5, 1:59pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

marcus says
But if you make the leap to generalizing that democrats are statue toppling vandals, then you are identifying the entire left with some crazies on far left.

From my daily experience, that identity does seem to be valid.

I do not find Democrats objecting to statue toppling, or defunding the police, or even suspecting that BLM's 4-year cycle might have something to do with the election.

Among Democrats, I see only true believers in The Narrative, or those too intimidated by leftist violence to speak up.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 5, 2:00pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

thomasdong1776 says
Patrick says
the speech was auto-translated by some AI thing, and it's not all that well done.

No, that's just the way Trump talks.

@thomasdong1776 Do you have anything specific in the speech that you object to?
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 5, 2:13pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Interesting that bats don't get sick from these viruses:

Their immune system is adapted to them.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 5, 2:28pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I didn't know that's when it started. I will add that, thanks.

Can we figure out who lobbied for it? Those are enemies of American citizens.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 5, 2:38pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Lol, exactly!
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 5, 5:38pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I have no problem with hedging if it's not an exact thing.

Eg: men seem to enjoy engineering more than women do.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 5, 6:18pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Oh man, that was a good comment. Could you edit it to make it non-personal?
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 5, 7:11pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

richwicks says
Patrick - that good enough?

Yes, thanks.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 5, 9:52pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I sure hate being locked down.

I'm confident that the new "cases" hysteria is being whipped up purely for political reasons. They are attempting to harm the economy, thinking it will harm Trump.

The millions who have lost their jobs in this attempt don't even figure into the calculation.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 5, 9:57pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

marcus says
No, I don't think production easily moves back here, except maybe eventually with robots. But that's pretty scary for workers too.

I think it would not be all that hard to move production back here, though it would be more expensive than using cheap Chinese labor with no unionization rights and no pollution laws.

Robots mean lots of jobs for people who work on robots. It's been the same with every transformation of the economy, right from the creation of the mechanical loom. In the end, every technical advancement has created more jobs were created than lost, but the new jobs require higher skill levels.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 5, 10:05pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

richwicks says
Let me know when ISRAEL starts accepting non Jewish refugees, or even Jewish refugees - who aren't white.

They did actually take the Ethiopian Jews in, even though those Jews could not prove any genetic link to other Jewish groups.

But your point is valid. Most ethno-states like India, China, Japan, and Israel don't accept refugees unless they are their own people.

America is just about the least racist country in the world, in terms of "would you mind having someone from a different ethnic group living next door to you".

India was the most.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 5, 10:24pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

mell says
Luxury car. Lol the leftoid lamestream race baiting media is so full of shit. We! Must! Fight! Luxury! Car! Privilege!

Mainstream press didn't mention that the driver was black, did they?
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 6, 9:28am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

These are literally crimes. It's extreme vandalism.

Why are we not enforcing our laws?

Because Democrats.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 6, 9:36am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The media is America's enemy.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 6, 9:38am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Beautiful coin.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 6, 11:05am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

mell says
Patrick you can get great weekday rates in Sonoma/Napa, usually around $120 in hotels with pool. I go up there as much as I can with the convertible. Also people are more relaxed up there, hardly any mask nazi lockdown leftoids.

This sounds nice! I will suggest it to the wife.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 6, 11:17am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Kepi says

C'mon, this kind of thing doesn't help.

I understand the frustration behind it (black crime rates being completely censored in all mainstream media) but it sets us back.

All American citizens are Americans. We should all try to unify and help each other resist outsourcing to China and insourcing of illegals.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 6, 8:53pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Edited. I don't really know how the virus got to the Wuhan meat market, but the virology lab seems plausible.

The rage of childless far-left women journalists plays a central role in the whole story, so I expanded that a bit.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 6, 9:28pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Eric Holder says
Yeah, I've read about that experiment: the guy taught crows to pick up lost coins in exchange for nuts. The idea was to eventually move on to cigarette butts but exchanging nuts for cigarette butts turned out not as economical as going for coins.

I didn't know about the experiment.

Maybe it could be economical now with computer vision and AI.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 6, 10:04pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Eric Holder says
Why the fuck it's OK to pull down a statue but the act of painting pavement with black paint suddenly requires police investigation?

Our laws are not being enforced impartially.

This is wrong and many people should sue. The threat of lawsuits which can bankrupt cities is very powerful.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 6, 10:04pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

They might work a lot faster too, until they drop dead.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 6, 10:15pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Oh! If Kanye takes away Democrat votes in Minnesota and Nevada, Trump is more likely to win those states.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 7, 9:06pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@Tenpoundbass Try https://protonmail.com/ Super private, and free.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 7, 9:39pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Yes, kinda sad. I wonder if her husband was ever convicted. His name is Scott Sills, MD. Anyone know how to look up the result of the trial?
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 7, 9:40pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

thomasdong1776 says
Patrick says
Do you have anything specific in the speech that you object to?

I'm only saying the weird syntax is just the way he speaks.

He does have an odd way of talking, but the transcript also has a lot of transcription errors, being done by robot.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 7, 9:54pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Rents have fallen quite a bit in the Bay Area, seems to be more than 10% in most places.

As rents fall, the correct price of housing falls in sync, assuming interest rates stay the same.
  Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 7, 10:19pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Thanks @NuttBoxer I love that post.

Is the picture one of people you know?