mell's comments

« First    « Previous     Comments 6345 - 6384 of 6,384     Last »

mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 13, 9:49pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

I don't buy the argument that the pharma industry is trying to delay cures. As mankind ages, there will be plenty of patients with recurring or different conditions. Despite the declining sales their hep c drug was a blockbuster and brought them many billions every year. The alternative would be to use a less effective drug and get run over by the competition. They may focus on development for drug where most money is to be made vs most lives saved, but they would not stall a cure if they can decently monetize on it. Many of these stories are too simplistic, same for gene therapy. It is very promising but often addresses only patients with certain gene expressions in their diseases, and there can be extreme side effects. Plus it's an eternal rat race, eventually viruses and bacteria will adapt and we have to recode our genomic solution, some may last for a long time or even forever, some won't. New conditions/microbes may emerge. There are plenty of patients that get cured of various cancers every year with standard therapies, and they are growing every year. The solutions of the future will most certainly be combo-therapies. That being said, there is nothing wrong with government and/or university funded involvement in medical studies to give competition/collaboration to/with the pharma industry. Also phages are super interesting, but some have also show the opposite effects and they are not without risks. Maybe at some point they may be superior to AB therapy due to rising AB resistance.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 14, 5:07pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

HeadSet says
A few years ago, the U of VA President Teresa Sullivan decided to put all courses online and make them available for free (but with no credit). The Board of Visitors did not like this, and tried to have the president removed. I guess the President somehow got the wild idea that UVA was there to educate Virginians, and not just be a workfare for well paid academic staff.

In fact, the best way to cut college costs would be for all suitable courses to be online where the student can read, view, and review lectures. The lectures could be enhanced with any sort of graphic teaching tools. Tests could then be centrally proctored. For courses like English, history, geography, and others that need no labs, why not? Of course, something similar could have been done years ago using DVDs, but I do not think affordable education is on the agenda for those running universities.

In tech this has long happened. CS degrees may be for higher or mixed purposes (Electrical engineering, (bio-)Medical engineering) etc. but for 80% of the code that needs to be written out there you can self-learn without paying a dime for education. Even the bootcamps, while more practically oriented, are mostly scams. All the info you need is on the web. Universities will be mostly obsolete at some point. But you can be sure they will put up a good fight so don't count on it right now.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 14, 5:44pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Patrick says
TwoScoopsPlissken says
Why else is Orban so loathed by the EU? He's a rallying point around which anti-Oligarch (anti-Soros) sentiment can gather. No sane person can believe Hungary has a shortage of labor, given they, like similarly anti-migrant Poland, export their own youth labor in massive quantities now because of the limited opportunities.

I think you're right @TwoScoopsPlissken

The article does not make sense given that Hungary has plenty of youth labor.

So it really is just about destroying all national identities and borders so that there can be no opposition to corporate rule.

It's not just that. Politicians aren't stupid and they know what wins elections. After the fall of the former Soviet union all those nationalistic and tribalistic feelings that were brutally suppressed during communism flourished again and ironically made the eastern European nations the stalwart beacons of defending the caucasian Christian race and culture(s) against global leftist cultural-marxism. Look at the demonstrations in Poland and Hungary, they are not just demonstrating for their leaders, but for their people, tribe and culture.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 14, 9:44pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Just an ordinary catfight. who gives a shit what it was about. Only deranged SJWs. I had some chicks fighting at elementary and high school back then where you'd be happy to get away with a few scrapes. Fuck this non-newsworthy click bait.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 14, 9:46pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Obligatory:
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 15, 7:45am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

anotheraccount says
bob2356 says
For the head of a major university that's not at all outrageous.

Really? 76K a month?

I'd argue that is more than outrageous. Any public employee retiring on more than 100K a year should be considered outrageous, with few exceptions. if you add this up for 20 years+ res of life expectancy, that is 2.5MM. Enough is enough. And I don't give a fuck if corporate managements NOT on subsidies makes much more, this is not taxpayer - but customer spent and earned - money like it is for the public employees. Most of these people have done far less for society than the average Joe Schmoe during his working life.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 15, 4:50pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

They are all pouncing on Comey now, rightfully so. But I have no doubt that Lynch did that, she is worse and should be in jail before Comey. Typical PoC career wommyn who thinks she is above the law. Where are the damn handcuffs.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 15, 5:45pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Agreed though they have decent - overpriced - food and the cold brew nitro is actually a good brew.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 15, 7:46pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

HowdyThere says
I'm sure that for the university to attract this level of talent, it was necessary to have a compensation package that included a robust pension. C type executives get options and golden parachutes and such, while public servants get gold plated pensions. It's all well deserved I'm sure. Or not?

No, the public servant's package is payed by the taxpayer. Undeserved.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 15, 8:52pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Every time I have some sort of connection/dealings with Florida and see the that you can get a mansion with pool for $300K or less it seems crazier and crazier to put even one cent into the bay are housing market. The prices per square foot are literally 1/10th in FL. Yeah, the bay area is beautiful and awesome nature-wise, but there is no justification for this. And you have the sidewalk-shitting hobos.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 16, 12:20pm   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Like pop the left will eat itself ;) Get the popcorn ready - couldn't hit a "nicer" target. Fuckbucks can't get rid of the deranged hosts it summoned Oh, the irony.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 16, 2:34pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

TwoScoopsPlissken says
mell says
Like pop the left will eat itself

That's a reference to Monty Python, or...

There's no way you're so cool that you're a fan of the British Beastie Boys, yes?

I still own an early pop will eat itself CD (it probably won't play anymore). Haven't followed them since my student years but they were pretty cool.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 16, 2:58pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

TwoScoopsPlissken says
mell says

Best concert I ever attended, PWEI around 1994-1995 in NYC, last tour. Went alone and made a ton of buddies that night. I forgot all about them, actually.

Nice! The thing is many of the bands I used to listen to and still do came from punk/metal/industrial/hardcore genre(s), not necessarily traditionally right. However punk was there to offend the system and be politically incorrect, it was there for the workers to rail against the government. Today's left rails WITH the government against ordinary people with their identity politics bullshit and not surprisingly quite a few old punk legends have turned against the left and some even embraced Trump. Because they know if they were to play their music from the past today and live their life from the past today, they wouldn't be targeted by the right (which used to be the case in the past), but instead by the left. Bands like PWEI, Prong, Sex Pistols, DRI etc. In some ways I really want to like the left again, but man, they are so far away from any common sense candidates these days, it's funny and painful to watch the left eat itself.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 16, 3:43pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

lol great comments all!
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 16, 6:14pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

HowdyThere says
They must not have accounted for microaggressions, and only aggessions and hatred. Add in

They don't exist so no need to account for something entirely made up.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 16, 7:18pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Usually, unless I can clearly see that the owners don't care or or are otherwise busy with more important things, I always ask if I can used the restroom if I am not buying anything.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 16, 7:57pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

TwoScoopsPlissken says
mell says

Funny you should mention this.

The SJWs are now going after Phil Collins, USA for Africa, Aerosmith (you knew they would flip if they heard "Dude looks like a Lady"), the Vapors ("Turning Japanese"), etc.

I can only think of this as click-bait to sell ads on the same page, the thought of anybody taking such articles seriously is deeply troubling ;)
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 16, 8:04pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

HeadSet says
mell says

Or you could just "be white" and spring for a small beverage if you will use the rest room.

Yeah if they say I must be a customer that's the backup plan. It may have had to do a bit with their appearance as well. I heard some Asian millenials in the restaurant talk about this rayscysm as if the fact-less conjecture report was gospel. Frighteningly naive. But then after a while at least one of them - dismissing white guilt - said, "I can't change the fact that I have white (yellow) skin and I am also a proud American". Atta-boy, apparently not all hope is lost.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 16, 8:09pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

The guard should have just put a bullet in each of their heads. Worthless pieces of animal filth.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 17, 7:49am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

It hailed and snowed here the other day. People were sledding in the Oakland hills.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 17, 11:35am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

zzyzzx says

Lol meme of the year so far!
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 17, 3:58pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Automan Empire says
I always read global warming skeptics, whose premise is something ignorant like "The weather at my house today disproves climate change," in the most hillbilly voice possible.

It's not colder everywhere, fools! It's colder than normal at your place because it's waaaay warmer than normal in other places. Resources like this map are available.

The global warming trend has stopped as well in recent years. No more records. 2018 will be cooler globally.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 17, 4:03pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

I saw tons of open houses this weekend just in the hood, partly spring season, but seems like many owners have gotten a whiff of the blow-off top and try to get out at the right time.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 17, 4:15pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

pwagner says
I think there is massive collusion among the realtors (and Realtors) to keep commissions artificially high. The 3% buyer agent and 3% seller agent seems ridiculous — especially when that percentage is applied equally to $200k houses and $2,000,000 houses. It costs me $130,000 for two agents to work together to sell my tract home in 2 weeks? Wow, I'm in the wrong profession! I get offers in the mail to help sell my house where the commission is 3.5% total, which indicates to me that the selling agent is willing to take 0.5% commission. Why won't the buying agent take that commission too? In another take, the original Freakonomics book has a chapter on why real estate agents don't seem to act in their clients' best interests.

On the flip side, I feel much more comfortable with refinancing. (And, more recently, paying off the mortgage entirely.) I've always had ARMs, so have done 1 loan modification and 2 different re-financings in the last 15 years. I basically visit the finan...

Nice. Interest rates have been insanely low. I've had a revolving credit limit of roughly 50k utilizing roughly half for years now combining zero interest cards and rolling them over for less than 3% total interest incl. fees. Because of that I get refi offers to consolidate at 6%+ in the mail all the time but I have plenty of dough to pay them off anytime. Whenever I am thinking of paying off a substantial amount I get a new offer and roll over instead and reinvest in the market. Basically free money until the musical chairs stop.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 17, 4:42pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Onvacation says
I was looking at zillow (I know) a while ago and randomly clicking on million dollar plus shacks for sale in the city (SF). I was surprised to see "zestimate home values" with 30 day changes in the +30k/month range. Now I see some of the 30 day estimates changing by as much as a couple hundred thousand negative.

Zillow (I know) says that there are 807 houses for sale, 209 in preforeclosure, and 3068 for rent in the upper peninsula north of Daly City.

Anecdotal but it seems like more and more properties are going on the market.

What's the analysis of the board's RE experts?

That is my impression as well. Almost drove over a couple of open house signs last weekend. But keep in mind the SF bay area housing market inventory has been so low that it will take a bit to make it to the news, but reductions are coming in, also in surrounding counties, and houses are staying longer on the market (of course also up from being scooped up within days).
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 17, 4:45pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

I also see more often dramatic differences in price per sqft, I saw a recently built beautiful upper-middle-class / upper-class house in Sonoma for less than $500/sqft, while most are closer to the prices in SF, $700-$1000 per sqft. Let's see if this trend continues.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 17, 5:01pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

lostand confused says
Sessions the imbecile. I am beginning to wonder if Comey was thrown under the bus. he is taking fire from both sides-Rosenstein signe doff on firing him and then used that to start the special counsel-Mcabe , Stoorkz alluded to it called it the insurance policy. Comey may well have been the scapegoat. They spied on trump , they don't want to go to jail for it and started it. They can't prove anything on collusion so who again Rosentein of couse signs off on going after Stormy Daniels and even the Access Hollywood tapes and oh yeah taxi medallions. The acting attorney general of the US going after taxi medallions in NY-yeah right. Everything leads back to Rosentein.

I don't know if Trump realizes what is going on or just is far too arrogant with a massive ego-but he ahs to right ship. Else when the dems get back control of say the house-he won't have that choice. This is a coup to cover up their crimes-they have nothing to lose.

Yeah Sessions hasn't been looking good. Maybe he's just there so Trump can overrule him in cases like the states rights to legal weed and thus look good, who knows. But I would surely appreciate someone with a bite who can go prosecute many in the former admin. Where are the handcuffs?! ;)
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 17, 5:31pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Evan F. says
mell says

This is incorrect. Let's just take 'recent years' as, say, the past decade. 8 of the 10 hottest years on record have happened in the last decade. Any 'trend' you might deduce that suggests otherwise would be far too granular to provide useful. Because that's not how climate change models work. Just because 2018 MIGHT be a cooler globally (and how you're able to predict this not even halfway through the year, I'm at a loss) has no bearing on the larger-scale trend that's been happening over the past century.

This argument renders itself worthless quickly. Because if you go back long enough you will find periods with much higher temperatures , in general and also with much lower CO2 concentration and you will find periods with much higher CO2 that were much colder with increasing glaciers. 2018 so far has been cooler globally, esp. in the US:
"During March, the average contiguous U.S. temperature was 42.6°F, 1.1°F above the 20th century average. This ranked near the median value in the 124-year period of record. The year-to-date (January–March) average contiguous U.S. temperature was 36.8°F, 1.6°F above average, ranking among the warmest third of the record. This was the coldest start to a year since 2014 for the nation."
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 17, 7:41pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

HeadSet says

Do you hear yourself? You claim it is impossible to predict global temperatures 6 mouth in advance but are an avid fan of those who predict global temperatures decades away.

Yeah. Didn't want to continue here, let's just see how it plays out. My bet is on a stopping/cooling trend that will continue.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 17, 7:43pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

HowdyThere says
I'm in a tough spot. I'm moving to a southern Ontario area that is being influenced by Toronto's insane run up. Many of the houses in the area have been clearly flipped, and that turns me off in a major way. Might consider low balling them. I'll give up my buying intentions pretty quickly and investigate renting options.

I think the east is more vulnerable to corrections than the west so low-balling may be a good idea here. The west coast is flooded with Chinese (and other Asians) buying up property to move their money relatively close to home but of reach of their governments.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 18, 6:43pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Hans and Franz again!
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 21, 8:51am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

So good.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 22, 1:25pm   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Manbearpig! Manbearpig!
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 22, 1:31pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote

TwoScoopsPlissken says
Feux Follets says
Things I, an Affluent White Cis Male, Have Gotten Away With In a Starbucks by JOSH BROSNAN

White CIS Male, LOL. Sad Left Wing Racialist rants.

None of this shit exists, it's completely made up inside delusional neurotic leftist minds. There is no cis only male and female (with very very few insignificant exceptions) and straight, gay and bi. There, explained the world to a leftist.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 22, 8:36pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

It's fine to raise awareness of potential problems. What's not ok is to postulate that the glaciers will have all melt within 5 years and introduce draconian taxes and harass Joe Schmoe with an utterly unreliable mathematical model.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 23, 10:20am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Lol they are now frantically scraping all former social media convos from hylton to show bias. Like when she talked to a friend and colleague about customers who order in a foreign language or utterly broken English and are rude. They call these convos then "racially motivated". The left and sjws have gone completely batshit crazy. English motherfucker do you speak it!!
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 23, 6:37pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Goran_K says
Silly Con valley and SF must have the worst male to female ratio I've ever witnessed in the country. So the girls over there have a literal pick of the litter when it comes to guys since it's like 10 to 1 in some neighborhoods.

So I see a lot of women who MIGHT rate a "6-7" being treated, wined and dined like they are top tier 10's. It's sad.

All true but basic game and an anti feminist confident anti sjw attitude still gets you plenty prime pussy. There's no natural game in SV only soyboy money and many womyn ironically are starving for men. Still if you're going to settle American I recommend the mid west.
  mell   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 23, 7:25pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote

Automan Empire says
People want light coffee so badly they'll add artificial creamer whitened with titanium dioxide, the same pigment used in white paint.

Pretty sure someone, somewhere can spin this as racis'.

To be fair they don't have that shit bleach creamer at Starbucks. Every coffee place these days has real half and half.

The Housing Trap