tovarichpeter's comments

« First    « Previous    Comments 1088 - 1127 of 1127    Last »

tovarichpeter   ignore (3)   2020 Jan 9, 11:16am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Do you know how much nurse practitioners make? It's a lot.

Do you know how much physicians make? It’s a lot more.
  tovarichpeter   ignore (3)   2020 Jan 13, 8:35am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

And the thug’s (student’s)) father says he sent him to school for an education. How funny is that!
  tovarichpeter   ignore (3)   2020 Jan 13, 12:35pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

If you are not pursuing a STEM major (and psychology and chiropractic are not STEM majors), the Return on Investment ROI for a college degree isn’t worth the time or money. Check out your local community college. Public community colleges are the best bargain in post secondary education in the U.S.
  tovarichpeter   ignore (3)   2020 Jan 13, 5:58pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Actually it was chiropractic and psychology students.
  tovarichpeter   ignore (3)   2020 Jan 19, 7:10pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

So you’re saying they are not wearing the new official space force uniform!
  tovarichpeter   ignore (3)   2020 Jan 20, 10:29am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The Age of Illusions: How America Squandered Its Cold War Victory
by Amazon.com
Learn more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/1250175089/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_ZeFjEbFZ27C9A
  tovarichpeter   ignore (3)   2020 Jan 22, 9:34am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Infectious diseases are a much bigger and much more immediate threat to humans than climate change
  tovarichpeter   ignore (3)   2020 Jan 22, 11:59am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Actually it’s Realtor SUPPORTED, not sponsored.

BTW the president of the U.S. is a Realtor. Do you support him?
  tovarichpeter   ignore (3)   2020 Jan 22, 3:12pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The_Weeping_Ayatollah says
tovarichpeter says
Actually it’s Realtor SUPPORTED, not sponsored.

So the article is fake news then?

No, it just means you never took high school civics and learned that only elected law makers can actually sponsor a bill.
  tovarichpeter   ignore (3)   2020 Jan 22, 3:14pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Investing in Real Estate does not make one a Realtor. Realtors sell other people's used houses.

Trump invests other people’s money. Same thing.
  tovarichpeter   ignore (3)   2020 Jan 22, 5:10pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

So good news. Due to so much support for the home owners to keep the playscape, it was approved by the HOA and the plaintiffs Dropped their lawsuit!

But most homeowners still don’t know that if they are sued by a neighbor over some property related issue, their homeowners insurance will probably provide a legal defense and even pay for a settlement. This can save homeowners thousands of dollars in legal fees.
  tovarichpeter   ignore (3)   2020 Jan 24, 9:18am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says
But wait - I'm not Chinese, so I should be offended, right?

After all, you wouldn't just go around wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, would you?

And Merry Christmas
  tovarichpeter   ignore (3)   2020 Jan 24, 2:47pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Unfortunately China is not a credible source of information but what we do know suggests they are scared. We just put our trip to Taiwan off until further notice
  tovarichpeter   ignore (3)   2020 Jan 29, 3:27pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Sorry about the bad link. This is the article

Credit...Annie Leibovitz/Contact Press Images. From “Pilgrimage” (Random House, 2011)
MY therapist called me the wrong name. I poured out my heart; my doctor looked at his watch. My psychiatrist told me I had to keep seeing him or I would be lost.

New patients tell me things like this all the time. And they tell me how former therapists sat, listened, nodded and offered little or no advice, for weeks, months, sometimes years. A patient recently told me that, after seeing her therapist for several years, she asked if he had any advice for her. The therapist said, “See you next week.”

When I started practicing as a therapist 15 years ago, I thought complaints like this were anomalous. But I have come to a sobering conclusion over the years: ineffective therapy is disturbingly common.

Talk to friends, keep your ears open at a cafe, or read discussion boards online about length of time in therapy. I bet you’ll find many people who have remained in therapy long beyond the time they thought it would take to solve their problems. According to a 2010 study published in the American Journal of Psychiatry, 42 percent of people in psychotherapy use 3 to 10 visits for treatment, while 1 in 9 have more than 20 sessions.
Continue reading the main story

For this 11 percent, therapy can become a dead-end relationship. Research shows that, in many cases, the longer therapy lasts the less likely it is to be effective. Still, therapists are often reluctant to admit defeat.

A 2001 study published in the Journal of Counseling Psychology found that patients improved most dramatically between their seventh and tenth sessions. Another study, published in 2006 in the Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, looked at nearly 2,000 people who underwent counseling for 1 to 12 sessions and found that while 88 percent improved after one session, the rate fell to 62 percent after 12. Yet, according to research conducted at the University of Pennsylvania, therapists who practice more traditional psychotherapy treat patients for an average of 22 sessions before concluding that progress isn’t being made. Just 12 percent of those therapists choose to refer their stagnant patients to another practitioner. The bottom line: Even though extended therapy is not always beneficial, many therapists persist in leading patients on an open-ended, potentially endless, therapeutic course.

Proponents of long-term therapy have argued that severe psychological disorders require years to manage. That may be true, but it’s also true that many therapy patients don’t suffer severe disorders. Anxiety and depression are the top predicaments for which patients seek mental health treatment; schizophrenia is at the bottom of the list.

In my experience, most people seek therapeutic help for discrete, treatable issues: they are stuck in unfulfilling jobs or relationships, they can’t reach their goals, are fearful of change and depressed as a result. It doesn’t take years of therapy to get to the bottom of those kinds of problems. For some of my patients, it doesn’t even take a whole session.

Therapy can — and should — focus on goals and outcomes, and people should be able to graduate from it. In my practice, the people who spent years in therapy before coming to me were able to face their fears, calm their anxieties and reach life goals quickly — often within weeks.
Editors’ Picks

They Changed the Way You Buy Your Basics
I Quit New York
I Quit Sex for 12 Years
Continue reading the main story

Continue reading the main story

Why? I believe it’s a matter of approach. Many patients need an aggressive therapist who prods them to face what they find uncomfortable: change. They need a therapist’s opinion, advice and structured action plans. They don’t need to talk endlessly about how they feel or about childhood memories. A recent study by the National Institute for Health and Welfare in Finland found that “active, engaging and extroverted therapists” helped patients more quickly in the short term than “cautious, nonintrusive therapists.”

This approach may not be right for every patient, but the results described in the Finnish study are consistent with my experience.

If a patient comes to me and tells me she’s been unhappy with her boyfriend for the past year, I don’t ask, as some might, “How do you feel about that?” I already know how she feels about that. She just told me. She’s unhappy. When she asks me what I think she should do, I don’t respond with a return interrogatory, “What do you think you should do?” If she knew, she wouldn’t ask me for my thoughts.

Instead I ask what might be missing from her relationship and sketch out possible ways to fill in relationship gaps or, perhaps, to end it in a healthy way. Rather than dwell on the past and hash out stories from childhood, I encourage patients to find the courage to confront an adversary, take risks and embrace change. My aim is to give patients the skills needed to confront their fear of change, rather than to nod my head and ask how they feel.

In graduate school, my classmates and I were taught to serve as guides, whose job it is to help patients reach their own conclusions. This may work, but it can take a long time. I don’t think patients want to take years to feel better. They want to do it in weeks or months.

Popular misconceptions reinforce the belief that therapy is about resting on a couch and talking about one’s problems. So that’s what patients often do. And just as often this leads to codependence. The therapist, of course, depends on the patient for money, and the patient depends on the therapist for emotional support. And, for many therapy patients, it is satisfying just to have someone listen, and they leave sessions feeling better.

But there’s a difference between feeling good and changing your life. Feeling accepted and validated by your therapist doesn’t push you to reach your goals. To the contrary, it might even encourage you to stay mired in dysfunction. Therapy sessions can work like spa appointments: they can be relaxing but don’t necessarily help solve problems. More than an oasis of kindness or a cozy hour of validation and acceptance, most patients need smart strategies to help them achieve realistic goals.

I’m not against therapy. After all, I practice it. But ask yourself: if your hairstylist keeps giving you bad haircuts, do you keep going back? If a restaurant serves you a lousy meal, do you make another reservation? No, I’m sure you wouldn’t, and you shouldn’t stay in therapy that isn’t helping you, either.
  tovarichpeter   ignore (3)   2020 Jan 31, 7:36am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

My colleague Conor Dougherty followed the protracted debate over one of the most closely watched and polarizing fixes for California’s housing crisis, which played out in Sacramento this week. Here’s his dispatch:

Senate Bill 50 is dead. Or is it?

That question hovered over the California State Legislature the past two days while Senator Scott Wiener’s bill to allow mid-rise apartments and condominiums near transit stops made its way to a final floor vote.

The bill was voted down Wednesday — only to be brought back for another unsuccessful vote on Thursday.

In the end, after failing to muster a majority, Toni Atkins, the Senate president pro tem, gave a speech in which she declared that even though the bill is now gone, something like it will pass this year and called on senators to “step up” and hash out a compromise.

The final vote capped one of the most dramatic Senate sessions in recent years. During a two-hour debate on Wednesday, lawmakers alternated between statements about the gravity of California’s housing crisis and a reluctance to upend the state’s governance and low-density roots.

[Read the full story.]

One senator would talk about homelessness and three-hour super-commutes. The next would talk about the right of localities to set zoning policy.

Continue reading the main story

Virtually everyone in attendance agreed that something significant had to be done to ease California’s housing troubles, but, in an indication of just how conflicted the Legislature was about how to get there, one of the bill’s co-sponsors said the bill made him uncomfortable; another senator said she was voting for it despite opposition from cities in her district. Yet another, voting no, said that if the bill failed he wanted Mr. Wiener to simply reintroduce it so the debate would continue.

“The only thing that folks agree on is that we need housing,” said Andreas Borgeas, a Fresno Republican, who voted against it. “How we get there, everyone has a different theory.”

Throughout the session, opponents thanked Mr. Wiener, a San Francisco Democrat, for forcing a tough debate. Where that debate goes is unclear. That it will continue is guaranteed.

“This is not the end of the story,” Ms. Atkins said.

Gov. Gavin Newsom, who said he supported the bill’s intent but never endorsed it, followed up with his own statement in favor of new legislation to replace it: “California’s housing affordability crisis demands our state pass a historic housing production bill.”

Continue reading the main story

And Mr. Wiener himself tweeted that he had introduced two place-holder housing bills — the details of which are to be determined.

[Want more analysis? An editorial writer at The Los Angeles Times blamed L.A. lawmakers for killing the bill without a better plan. And in an opinion piece for The Mercury News, a councilman in Burlingame wrote that cities like his are building lots of housing — without Sacramento’s intervention.]
  tovarichpeter   ignore (3)   2020 Jan 31, 4:13pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

“Liberal and conservative economists agree that the housing squeeze arises in part from an excess of process and local rules.”
  tovarichpeter   ignore (3)   2020 Feb 25, 11:18am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

SF cops say they can’t stop sideshows
  tovarichpeter   ignore (3)   2020 Mar 18, 1:38am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

We are among the latest victims of this, in broad daylight. Pleasant Hill.PD did not seem too concerned.
  tovarichpeter   ignore (3)   2020 Mar 23, 3:09pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

“Getting vaccinated against the flu is important because a coronavirus outbreak that strikes in the middle of a flu epidemic is much more likely to overwhelm hospitals and increases the odds that the coronavirus goes undetected. This was probably a factor in Italy, a country with a strong anti-vaccine movement, he said.“