patrick.net

forgot password?   register

#housing #investing #politics more»
734,901 comments in 75,617 posts by 10,903 registered users, 7 online now: Heraclitusstudent, iwog, justme, Patrick, Quigley, Tenpoundbass, tr6

new post

Affordable dentistry on the way

By tovarichpeter   2013 Jan 15, 8:45am   725 views   2 comments   watch (0)   quote      

http://www.lcsun-news.com/las_cruces-news/ci_22371958/new-mexico-group-urges-creation-dental-therapist-jobs

A health advocacy group is working to bring mid-level dental practitioners to New Mexico in hopes of alleviating a dentist shortage, especially in the state's rural regions. House Bill 17, supported by nonprofit Health Action New Mexico, would license dental therapists, who would perform common dental procedures, such as exams, X-rays and fillings, but would operate under an off-site dentist, similar to a physician assistant working under a physician. Patients would still go to dentists for more complex treatments such as oral surgeries or root canals. "New Mexico has been on the cutting edge of using mid-level" practitioners, and the...

Comments 1-2 of 2     Last »

1   curious2   511/511 = 100% civil   2013 Jan 15, 8:52am  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote    

Mid-level practitioners might conceivably help in dentistry, but they haven't in medicine. What would really help is transparency in pricing, and less use of 3rd party payers including especially insurance. People might reasonably want to insure against the risk of a car wreck knocking out all their teeth, but most insurance merely enables the shell game of pricing opacity that makes dentistry and medicine unaffordable.

2   errc   427/434 = 98% civil   2013 Jan 15, 9:43am  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote    

My dentist is all the way affordable, but than again, I don't have dental insurance, so he works for cash. I always leave his office feeling like I stole from them,,,,

Comments 1-2 of 2     Last »

users   about   suggestions   contact  
topics   random post   best comments   comment jail  
patrick's 40 proposals  
10 reasons it's a terrible time to buy  
8 groups who lie about the housing market  
37 bogus arguments about housing  
get a free bumper sticker:

top   bottom   home