patrick.net

new post
register or log in

#investing   #housing   #politics   #humor  
10,718 registered users, 6 users online now: Blurtman, c1561490, iwog, Patrick, Tenpoundbass, thenuttyneutron

Windows 8 upgrade pricing ends Jan 31st

By YesYNot (15/16 = 93% civil)   2013 Jan 24, 6:21am   ↑ like   ↓ dislike   1,137 views   4 comments   watch (0)   share   quote  

I thought some people might appreciate a reminder. Win8 upgrade prices go from $40 to $200 on Feb 1st. The win 8 version of media center is also no longer going to be free, but from now until Jan 31st, you can get a free license for that. I installed it on my HTPC & it seems to be working out well. I may get a couple of extra copies for my vista machines, but am not sold on installing for a work computer yet.

Comments 1-4 of 4     Last »

1   zzyzzx (7/7 = 100% civil)   2013 Jan 24, 8:57am  ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (2)   quote   top   bottom   home   share  

Another reason to use Linux.

2   Tenpoundbass (53/53 = 100% civil)   2013 Jan 24, 9:53pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike (2)   quote   top   bottom   home   share  

YesYNot says

Win8 upgrade prices go from $40 to $200 on Feb 1st

Yeah like that oughta sweeten the pot.

3   Dan8267 (54/55 = 98% civil)   2013 Jan 24, 11:44pm  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share  

Buy now or forever be priced out of a crappy operating system. The price of operating systems only goes up. You could buy a license today and sell it after Jan 31 for a profit! Oh shit, you actually could do that. Forget I said that.

4   YesYNot (15/16 = 93% civil)   2013 Jan 25, 3:19am  ↑ like   ↓ dislike   quote   top   bottom   home   share  

^ I don't know, but the 'oem' version that home builders can use is currently cheaper than $200, but much >> $40.
If you upgrade to windows 8, it gives you an option for a basically fresh install. It does not reformat, and keeps your old files in a single folder. But, I think it gives you a fresh registry with no old program settings or crap like that.

^ Dan, for that reason, I think you will be able to get licenses much cheaper than $200 for a while on ebay.

Comments 1-4 of 4     Last »

Watch comments by email

home   top   users  
housing crash   thunderdome   sexy pix   site suggestions  
best comments   ad hominem comment jail   random post   patrick.net on twitter  
about   contact  
please recommend patrick.net to your enemies