San Francisco rents are lower than 2.5 years ago

By Patrick following x   2018 Apr 19, 7:43pm 1,393 views   9 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

Why is the 7% to 9% decline in SF rents never in the news?
1   SFace   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 19, 8:00pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

"Data" reflects only what’s available on "Zumper" rather than the actual citywide median.
2   Patrick   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 19, 8:02pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Do you have a better source of data @SFace ? I'd be grateful.
3   SFace   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 19, 8:56pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I spot check two apartment complex as barometer for rents.

Archstone soma.

Fox plaza.

Based on those prices as published. Rents are not down.
4   Patrick   ignore (1)   2018 Apr 19, 9:31pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I think Zumper includes many more apartment complexes. In fact, all their data might be apartment complexes.
5   ThreeBays   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 19, 9:34pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

It sounds like rents are down from 2016 peaks, but up slightly from a year ago.
6   JackD   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 20, 5:39am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The two properties (Archstone SOMA and Fox Plaza) are an odd choice for a city-wide barometer as they’re both in the redeveloped NEMA area and are about one block apart off of Market between 9th and 10th.
7   ThreeBays   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 20, 10:58pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I'm not super familiar with the SF market, but I see that there are decent looking 2BR condos for sale around $900k like this one for example https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/50-Jerrold-Ave-UNIT-411-San-Francisco-CA-94124/241586765_zpid/?fullpage=true, so paying $4.5k or $5k rent a month seems crazy.
8   SFace   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 22, 9:25am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

JackD says

It's a consistent comparison point that is easily measurable. Nothing else is as measurable as that. I mean you can add park merced if I wanted.
9   SFace   ignore (0)   2018 Apr 22, 9:26am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

ThreeBays says

Deep in hunters point. There are projects to the north south east and west. Its deal breaker.