Please log in to view images

Patrick - When Do The Username Changes Stop?

By WookieMan follow WookieMan   2018 Oct 17, 2:51pm 4,930 views   43 comments   watch   nsfw   quote   share

It's getting annoying at this point. Go back to anonymous for users I guess, because certain people are changing their usernames on what seems like a weekly basis.

My take is one email address, one username. If someone wants to play games and get a bunch of email accounts to circumnavigate the rules, they're probably losers. Block the IP address at some point.

The people changing usernames or creating new one's are blatantly obvious. The writing style is exactly similar. No interest in calling out users here since it's against the rules, but either make it completely anonymous or stop allowing people to change usernames. It's your site, so don't take this the wrong way. It's meant as constructive criticism. There are 3-4 trolls that change their identity every month practically. I'm starting to think it's the same damn person just fucking with the board.

« First    « Previous    Comments 4 - 43 of 43    Last »

4   NuttBoxer   ignore (2)   2018 Oct 17, 3:32pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

As a troll, I like the notoriety I build with my username, changing identities is too subtle for me.
5   Liberal_in_blackface   ignore (6)   2018 Oct 17, 3:54pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

MegaForce says
You can always set people to ignore and they will stay that way even if they change their username, I believe.

6   Patrick   ignore (1)   2018 Oct 17, 5:16pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

MegaForce says

Yes, ignore is by user_id, the primary key in the users table. So ignoring someone will keep ignoring them even if they change their user name.

You can see all the source code here: https://github.com/killelea/node.patrick.net/tree/master/node
7   Patrick   ignore (1)   2018 Oct 17, 5:22pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says
either make it completely anonymous or stop allowing people to change usernames

I don't see the harm in allowing user name changes.

Completely anonymous was no fun. I tried that for a while, and it's really hard to carry on a conversation that way.

So think of allowing name changes as being "somewhat anonymous". The upside is that when someone changes their user name, you have to consider their arguments a bit more before responding. I think that's a good thing. Once you are familiar with a user, there is a subconscious judgement about their points that gets in the way of really listening.
8   Rin   ignore (4)   2018 Oct 17, 6:01pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

There's only one Rin but we should have a Rin Wah Law one, because that can be anyone, who adheres to my philosophy.
9   tatupu70   ignore (0)   2018 Oct 17, 6:07pm     ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

curious2 says

I have an opinion about why the latter two users deploy multiple screen names at the same time, but I will refrain from discussing it.

No reason to refrain, I've posted why on more than one occasion. Once the ridiculous flag and personal buttons were added, the site's logic started putting some users comments in moderation automatically because some of the Trump supporters purposely flagged every comment to be trolls. In order to get around that, I created other names that wouldn't go straight to moderation.
10   tatupu70   ignore (0)   2018 Oct 17, 6:09pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says

I still fail to see the problem though--if you judge a post by its content, you shouldn't care. The only reason people want to know the commenter's identity is so they can prejudge before reading the content.
11   HEYYOU   ignore (44)   2018 Oct 17, 6:25pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Only name needed for patrick.net followers, assholes! ;-)
12   Tenpoundbass   ignore (15)   2018 Oct 17, 7:22pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I miss CaptainShuddap back in 2012, now there's a guy that saw Trump coming.

13   Goran_K   ignore (5)   2018 Oct 17, 7:49pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

tatupu70 says
curious2 says

The flag and personal buttons are working as intended. For instance using the term “trump cuck” in a way that is targeted towards an individual is in fact a personal insult and one I’ve flagged you for before.

Plain and simple, keep insults to yourself and you won’t get flagged. The system is working and I wasn’t even an advocate for it in the beginning. I also have noticed your posts have become more civil so I commend you on that.
14   tatupu70   ignore (0)   2018 Oct 17, 7:54pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Goran_K says

But "libtard" is OK?

Goran_K says

I wish that were the case.... Sadly, it is not.
15   Goran_K   ignore (5)   2018 Oct 17, 7:57pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

If someone says libtard and it’s targetted towards someone like “the OP is a libtard” then that’s going to get flagged.

If someone says “Elizabeth Warren is a racist libtard piece of shit for pretending to be native” then that’s okay since Warren is a public figure and AFAIK not a member of pat net.

These rules are simple tatupu. Your inability to follow them sometimes is not the fault of the system but of your own behavior.
16   WookieMan   ignore (4)   2018 Oct 18, 1:52am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says
Completely anonymous was no fun.

Agreed. But I still believe the current way has some flaws. Not a knock on the site, just constructive criticism.

Rin says

Rin is actually a great example of this. You feel like you know him. You know his personality. If user X posts something and then is user Y next week it's annoying. I feel like we all know Rin here. He could just be posting garbage and making things up (not saying you are Rin), but you at least know where Rin stands on things.

Tenpoundbass says
I miss CaptainShuddap back in 2012, now there's a guy that saw Trump coming.

You've at least kept this username for a good while now. Thank you.

MegaForce says
I just like to change my username and photo for the same reasons why I have a Holloween decoration on my front door and soon will have a Thanksgiving one and soon after that a Christmas one, that is all. I do not in any way deny who I am or try to hide who I am. If you don't like it: Tough shit.

Lol, we finally have another woman in our midst after Turtledove. Good luck with your decorations, lol.

Not sure why someone (people) would be so upset about TALKING about username changes. Funny, it's the one's that change their name that are the most upset about this post. Interesting.

Also, that's why there are profile pics/gifs, change that up like you have. If you get your ass beat in a street fight, do you just go and change your name because you're embarrassed or trying to hide it? Sorry, the whole thing is foreign to me. Stand behind your words, your name, or you're a pussy. This is what I'm getting at.
17   WookieMan   ignore (4)   2018 Oct 18, 2:08am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

MegaForce says
"The people changing usernames or creating new one's are blatantly obvious."

Obviously doing WHAT, exactly?

Lol, missed this the first time around.

CHANGING USERNAMES.

Change your pic all day, but what's the point of changing your name? There is no point beside to run from past posts and comments. I'm open to hearing another logical reason, but it better be good.
18   WookieMan   ignore (4)   2018 Oct 18, 2:27am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says
There is no point beside to run from past posts and comments.

Before it comes up and you guys wake up, I know you can search past comments and posts even if a user changes their name. I get that. There are users that have started an entirely different account though. Curious2 brings up the old system of tracking aliases and I'd have to agree it might be a good idea to bring back. If I argue with my friends, I'm not able to just change my name from Bill to Peter and the argument goes away. Or if I was wrong. That's my point with this post.
19   bob2356   ignore (4)   2018 Oct 18, 5:57am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says

The hand full of true trolls will find ways to keep posting nonsense garbage no matter what is done. You can spot them in about 2 sentences. so what is the difference?
20   Tenpoundbass   ignore (15)   2018 Oct 18, 6:17am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Tenpoundbass says
I miss CaptainShuddap back in 2012, now there's a guy that saw Trump coming.

You've at least kept this username for a good while now. Thank you.

This was my original name. Captain Shuddap was for educational purposes. To show the world how to deal with Smug Condescending Liberals who's antics saw no ends.
I was at war in 2012,

Basically what we see now on the streets how the Liberals shut down discourse they don't agree with. Was exactly how they were treating people here that weren't sucking Obama's balls with a finger up his asshole.
What I had 2112, Hussein, Liar Liar pants on fire, all three I tracked down to Tampa Bay Times. a whole slew of them doing the Internet version of "Hey hey, no facist nazis no KKK!" in every thread I posted.
Obama was elected twice because the Left successful intimidation on line, on the job, and in public. People were afraid if they didn't vote for Obama they would get fired.
21   Onvacation   ignore (5)   2018 Oct 18, 6:18am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says

You do know we are all anonymous? Right?
22   Goran_K   ignore (5)   2018 Oct 18, 6:26am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I think what he’s getting at is people who have established names then change them to mask their former troll like identities and history.

It happens a lot here. I know a few who have done it but just ignore it for the most part and flag if they get out of line.
23   WookieMan   ignore (4)   2018 Oct 18, 6:29am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Onvacation says
WookieMan says

You do know we are all anonymous? Right?

Ding! Ding! Winner! You've literally proved my point in 8 words. There's ZERO point in ever changing your anonymous name on a forum. ZERO.

bob2356 says

While I agree with your sentiment, the quote above kind of lays it all out. It's an anonymous forum. Who gives a shit. Which the same could be said for me even starting this thread. But if you're petty enough to create a whole new account or even change your name, doesn't that signal some insecurity? Do people change their legal name when they get called out at work? Get their ass kicked? Lose an argument?

I guess I'm an oddball. Whatever. I will never change my name on an anonymous forum or create another account just to fuck with people. That's loser stuff in my book. I'd like to see the option go away and I think it would improve the site. I don't want to have to ignore a bunch of people (who sometimes while annoying, still have some good content) just to view the site. If I ignored the people I didn't agree with, I'm guessing I'd see maybe 25% of the content here.
24   CBOEtrader   ignore (7)   2018 Oct 18, 6:32am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says
There's ZERO point in ever changing your anonymous name on a forum. ZERO.

Little do you know all these avatars are just patrick, and yourself. This is a 2 man forum. Its a micro truman show to see your reaction.

Proceed.
25   WookieMan   ignore (4)   2018 Oct 18, 6:37am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

CBOEtrader says
WookieMan says
There's ZERO point in ever changing your anonymous name on a forum. ZERO.

Proceed.

I've actually thought about that, lol. It would be funny, but almost impossible to perform with just me and Patrick. The amount of posting here would require full time dedication and I'm not sure that Patrick has monetized this thing.
26   Patrick   ignore (1)   2018 Oct 18, 7:12am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

There is no monetization. But that's OK, it's still fun.
27   HEYYOU   ignore (44)   2018 Oct 18, 9:59am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Changing a name does not make patnetters any smarter.
28   OccasionalCortex   ignore (5)   2018 Oct 18, 10:00am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

tatupu70 says
But "libtard" is OK?

I never call individuals libtard. I do call groups of anonymous people as such, which is allowed.

"You are a libtard!" <- bad

"Well, the libtards want all of us to have shitty healthcare" <-- not bad.

Some people irrationally believe that simply because they assume the person making that second comment is talking about people who think/act/relate with themselves actually means that they themselves were called a libtard directly by said person. Of course, logic isn't a typical libtard's strong suit so... (see how I just did that? Neat, eh?)
29   NuttBoxer   ignore (2)   2018 Oct 18, 11:38am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@tutupu70 is still here!?!? Post under your old name, no fun since I don't know who you are anymore.
30   BlueSardine   ignore (3)   2018 Oct 18, 11:44am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Because the medical industry needs all the patients it can get (charge)...

Herdingcats says
Why is it ok to say someone has a disease?
31   bob2356   ignore (4)   2018 Oct 18, 3:47pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says

They would if it was as easy as it is to do here. There are many petty insecure people in the world. Why does it surprise you to find some on patnet?
32   tatupu70   ignore (0)   2018 Oct 18, 4:19pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote

anti_forum
33   Goran_K   ignore (5)   2018 Oct 18, 4:37pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Follow the rules tatupu, that's all we ask.

Any more discussion in this thread about moderation policy is off topic and will be nuked.

Thanks for your cooperation tatupu/joey/leon.
34   tatupu70   ignore (0)   2018 Oct 18, 4:52pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote

anti_forum
35   tatupu70   ignore (0)   2018 Oct 18, 5:10pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote

anti_forum
36   tatupu70   ignore (0)   2018 Oct 18, 5:12pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote

anti_forum
37   NuttBoxer   ignore (2)   2018 Oct 19, 11:47am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Tatupu was also JJJ? Tell me it isn't so!?!?
38   Liberal_in_blackface   ignore (6)   2018 Oct 19, 12:23pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

NuttBoxer says
Tatupu was also JJJ? Tell me it isn't so!?!?

Kinda obvious.
39   OccasionalCortex   ignore (5)   2018 Oct 19, 2:38pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Herdingcats says
You do say people have TDS

So?

Herdingcats says
Why is it ok to say someone has a disease?

Where is it not ok to talk about disease?

People with diseases should not be marginalized. They should be encouraged to get treatment. Thus trying to get discussion of such things censored only reduces people from getting treatment.

Herdingcats says
I just flagged this comment and of course it got reinstated, so looks like tatupu is right on this one.

Flagged which comment? The one I am replying to?
40   OccasionalCortex   ignore (5)   2018 Oct 19, 2:41pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WookieMan says

HOW CAN YOU BE RUNNING form 'past posts and comments' when a) they are still there and b) your new identity and photo are still tied to them and displayed as such?
41   WookieMan   ignore (4)   2018 Oct 29, 3:42pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

MegaForce says

I am talking about what you say here. And yes it's still annoying. Sorry.

The bigger problem is the users that will legit create a new email address AND new patnet account. Again, still petty to change your name alone, no one does that in the real world. Not sure what joy anyone would get out of it either. It's the crazies that are creating a whole new setup that trouble me the most (email & account - not just name change).

Change the avatar, cool. But can someone please give me any logical reason, on an anonymous forum, that you would WANT or NEED to change your name? There is none.

(missed this, sorry for the late reply)
42   OccasionalCortex   ignore (5)   2018 Oct 29, 4:51pm     ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

WookieMan says
I am talking about what you say here.

???

WookieMan says
And yes it's still annoying

Only to the anal-retentive. Sorry. But that is how I see things.

WookieMan says

Which is an entirely different problem than what you posted.

WookieMan says

1) People change their names 'alone' all the time. There's even a court process to do so. 2) People don't come here to be in the 'real world'.

that you would WANT or NEED to change your name

Because it fits the avatar?
43   WookieMan   ignore (4)   2018 Oct 29, 8:27pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

MegaForce says
Which is an entirely different problem than what you posted.

You didn’t read my post or comments here.... no biggie.

« First    « Previous    Comments 4 - 43 of 43    Last »