Please log in to view images

What high dividend stocks are you currently invested in?

By BayArea follow BayArea   2019 Jan 5, 3:55pm 3,518 views   32 comments   watch   nsfw   quote   share

ARLP (coal producer) was a popular one in recent years on patnet, courtesy of Iwog.

Although the stock performance has been unimpressive, the 12% dividend has attracted many.

What high dividend stocks are you invested in currently? Looking for some ideas to add to my portfolio.
1   theoakman   ignore (0)   2019 Jan 5, 5:03pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

BayArea says

I sold out of ARLP in November. Dividends and gains were great but the earnings appears to have stalled. I'm in Phillip Morris and Altria right now. They have always been good to me and both are entering the e-cig market and the youth use of nicotine and ecigs is just completely out of control. I teach so I've watched it grow into a full grown pandemic that makes the kids smoking in the bathrooms in the 80s/90s look like nothing.
2   clambo   ignore (5)   2019 Jan 6, 1:45am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Next Era Energy Partners LP (NEP) 4% dividend yield.

Maybe not such a high dividend but this looks good to me. FPL in Florida is well run, and they have great rates too. This place is also located a few miles away from me so I found it interesting.
3   Bullshit   ignore (0)   2019 Jan 6, 2:45am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Not an individual stock, but I like DSENX/DSEEX - the DoubleLine Stiller Enhanced CAPE fund. It pays around 4% dividend yield now.
4   MrMagic   ignore (11)   2019 Jan 6, 7:54am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Fidelity FDVV, a ETF currently 4.37% with 98 holdings.
5   KgK one   ignore (0)   2019 Jan 6, 10:02am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Sunoco sun has 10.9 but afraid it stock might go down so you lose overall
6   zzyzzx   ignore (1)   2019 Jan 7, 12:36pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I would think that there might be more responses if we had a set definition of high, and stated if it's based on today's prices. If I bought the stock in 1981 and it's paying 3X today what I paid for it in annual dividends, is it really high paying if the current rate is around 5.4%, etc.
7   B.A.C.A.H.   ignore (0)   2019 Jan 7, 7:54pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Those dividends are high for a reason. Just like the high yields vs credit quality on the debt. Government debt, corporate debt, consumer debt.
8   Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Jan 7, 8:03pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I own some Main Street Capital Corporation (MAIN) because of a recommendation from a reader of this site. I honestly don't really understand what they do, but it pays better than 6%.
9   just_dregalicious   ignore (1)   2019 Jan 7, 8:34pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Just ARLP... Bought more last week on the dip. Was considering ATT but took Rin's comments to heart about how Tech tends to drop fastest in a downturn and perhaps the debt is too high which also breaks his divy rule. I think it's %25 of earnings with a 7% divy. Still considering buying a bit though with 5G right around the corner.
10   Rin   ignore (4)   2019 Jan 8, 1:17pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

just_dregalicious says

Wait! Rin Wah Law was only suppose to apply to the world of bonking hoes (or sex robots once the technology matures).

I never expected it to be used for finance.
11   EBGuy   ignore (1)   2019 Oct 15, 6:21pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Almost 16% yield. What could go wrong?
12   Hircus   ignore (0)   2019 Oct 15, 7:33pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

EBGuy says
Almost 16% yield. What could go wrong?

Oh my has ARLP fallen.
13   just_dregalicious   ignore (1)   2019 Oct 15, 7:37pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Yeah, I still own it too. Good thing I only dipped my toe in.
14   Patrick   ignore (1)   2019 Oct 15, 8:36pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I sold it in March of this year for just about the same as I paid in 2016. Was not a very good stock, though I got a couple of decent dividends.
15   BayArea   ignore (1)   2019 Oct 15, 10:04pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I’d be careful with ARLP, I unloaded at $20 and it’s been in free fall despite the dividend.
16   just_dregalicious   ignore (1)   2019 Oct 16, 6:56am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I don't own much and have been trading in and out of it for the past 2 years while picking up dividends and 1-3% gains here and there. It's only recently that I've gone into the red. I think energy in general is not looking good in the near future.
17   theoakman   ignore (0)   2019 Oct 16, 12:20pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Altria has been beaten down due to the negative sentiment related to vaping. Their revenue seems poised to grow from Juul and their new fda approved iqos product. Once people realize those that were dying were inhaling black market products, it should recover and still payoutbits current 8.5 percent dividend
18   mell   ignore (4)   2019 Oct 16, 1:49pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

None. The market still has good legs and I expect select (profitable or soon profitable) small caps to continue to outperform til I see recession signs.
19   EBGuy   ignore (1)   2019 Oct 16, 2:16pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I believe this is around the level that Ducky bought in at. As always, these are distributions (not dividends) and one of the reasons why MLPs can be tax efficient in trusts. Has anyone ever tangled with a K-1 while doing their own taxes? It's one of the reasons I've been reticent to buy outside of a retirement account.
20   mell   ignore (4)   2019 Oct 16, 2:18pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

EBGuy says

AFAIK you don't have to do anything for the K-1 until you take a distribution. Just keep it for your records every year. Doesn't seem to be too hard.
21   mell   ignore (4)   2019 Oct 16, 2:28pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

btw. I hope nobody got stuck with or jumped into the pot mania. Too lazy to bring out the old thread but I cautioned against those heavily, most of them are down to 1/4 - 1/10 of former values. Crazy! lol tlry at $20... Weed was a big trap, too much productions and yuge margin pressure coming, probably also consolidation, so at least there may be a few buyouts/mergers.
22   Liberal_in_blackface   ignore (6)   2019 Oct 16, 2:52pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

mell says

The cheerleaders of pot stocks (and bitcoins) have completely disappeared from the site. It's awfully quiet compared to all the noise they were making not so long ago.
23   mell   ignore (4)   2019 Oct 16, 3:09pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Arm_HK_now says
mell says

Ah yes forgot bitcoin as well. Not much hype left there either after libra was abandoned, still probably better than pot stocks, but way too volatile anyways.
24   just_dregalicious   ignore (1)   2019 Oct 16, 10:01pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Arm_HK_now says
bitcoins

I was just about to ask about her. I noticed the same thing.
25   just_dregalicious   ignore (1)   2019 Oct 16, 10:03pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

EBGuy says

Yeah, no big deal.

Uh, it's the reason I bought OUTSIDE my retirement account. Just used a stray brokerage account that was sitting around gathering dust. I don't think you want to buy a K-1 producing stock like ARLP using a roth anyway.
26   EBGuy   ignore (1)   2019 Oct 24, 2:26pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Just to be clear, outside of a retirement account, you MUST track the basis of your MLP share as once it hits zero you pay taxes at capital gains rates on distributions.
27   Booger   ignore (4)   2019 Oct 24, 3:47pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

theoakman says

IMO buying that stock is more like gambling investing. I can speculate that Altria is going to get blamed and sued anyway, since that is all about the money.
28   SunnyvaleCA   ignore (0)   2019 Oct 24, 6:30pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

You could always try Phillip Morris (PM). Relatively steady company with 5% dividend.
29   theoakman   ignore (0)   2019 Oct 24, 7:24pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Booger says
theoakman says

You can speculate all you want...they've been through decades of this legal roller coaster and they've always come out on top.
30   theoakman   ignore (0)   2019 Nov 27, 4:55am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Altria now up 20% and still yielding 6%. Buying that dip was a home run.
31   KgK one   ignore (0)   2019 Nov 27, 6:25am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Oxy buffet stock 8.5%
Oxydental petroleum. Issue I see is that it has pe of 28. But buffet bought 10 billion worth. It is historically low in price.
32   FortWayneIndiana   ignore (4)   2019 Nov 27, 7:42am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

what are your thoughts guys on ATT and Verizon?

I'm looking for safe options mostly, that still have dividents.