User-Agent:GoogleBot Disallow: /

By Patrick follow Patrick   2020 Jul 29, 7:21pm 145 views   16 comments   watch   nsfw   quote   share

If you have control over any website, please consider completely banning Google from it with this simple robots.txt:

User-Agent:GoogleBot
Disallow: /

Without content, Google is powerless to attract viewers and charge for ads.

Google is the enemy of free speech, so we can all help to bring down Google by boycotting them from indexing anything we have.

If they index it anyway, you have the right to sue them, which could be very profitable.

Patrick.net is proud to disallow Google indexing. You may say it's nothing, but it's not. Every site we prohibit to them has an impact.

I recommend that everyone use DuckDuckGo instead.
2   WineHorror1   ignore (2)   2020 Jul 29, 7:30pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick, I have a company website. Google maps is critical to my business. Any suggestions?
3   Hircus   ignore (0)   2020 Jul 29, 7:53pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WineHorror1 says

Keep using google to make money for now, but donate some of that money to shine light on them and their turds.
4   just_adhom_preaching   ignore (4)   2020 Jul 29, 8:18pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I always thought that was just a polite request that might be ignored (legally)???
5   Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 29, 8:23pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WineHorror1 says

First of all, I wouldn't base any business on Google maps, because it's a trap like all Google products are. If you get large enough, they will start charging you big bucks or suddenly cut you off, killing your business:

There are many alternatives to Google maps.

But you can also download free data sets and software to plot it: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Downloading_data

Craigslist looks like it does something like this, probably because of Google's trap-and-exploit business model:

6   Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 29, 8:25pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@WineHorror1 see above comment.
7   Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 29, 8:32pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

just_adhom_preaching says

@just_adhom_preaching You mean robots.txt? I think if it were Google violating it, you'd get plenty of lawyers eager for the chance to sue on various grounds.

The easiest one would be copyright violation. Google is copying your data for profit. Very good case to be made there, big damages to collect out of their big profits.

You can also detect the User-Agent string of the Googlebot in your web server and simply refuse to serve them anything if you want to be more sure they cannot crawl it. That would give you an even stronger legal case if they deceptively changed their User-Agent string.
8   NoCoupForYou   ignore (2)   2020 Jul 30, 12:27am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Still around and much faster than Google Maps:
9   SunnyvaleCA   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 30, 1:44am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Google Maps was one of the premiere apps for the original iPhone. Event Apple got rid of that as soon as possible ... or maybe, famously, sooner than possible!
10   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostakovitch   ignore (55)   2020 Jul 30, 3:17am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

DIE!, GOOGLE! NAZI! FUCKING! CUNTS!, FUCKING! DIE!
11   zzyzzx   ignore (2)   2020 Jul 30, 4:29am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says
I recommend that everyone use DuckDuckGo instead.

12   Tenpoundbass   ignore (14)   2020 Jul 30, 6:38am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Google Maps have become useless anyway. They list many major Roads by a Number, and don't even label many intersecting roads, because they want you to enable GPS and let Google Maps direct you there. Which even that is biased as fuck. I took my wife to a Trump rally a few years back in downtown Miami. The whole way there even on i95 it's telling me which lane to get into, nagging me to turn 2 miles before my turn, I knew a better route for part of the journey it threw a kiniption fit. Wouldn't shut up the whole fucking way there, more in our way than a solid help. I needed to know where in the fuck the building I was driving to was in the heart of Downtown. I know how to drive from Hollywood to Downtown Miami. We get off the exit, the exit Google told us to, it's nagging the whole way which lane, how many yards before our next turn, the name of the night shift manager at the Quickie Mart, everything wouldn't shut the Fuck up. We get to our location, and it never said a word let us drive right past the Building. We were then stuck in traffic in grid lock because Antifa Faggots were there causing trouble. It took 20 minutes just to drive a block turn around and get into the parking garage. We ended up having to set behind the press pool as the every other seat in the house was full, Google made us 15 minutes late.

I've never looked at Google Maps as a driving aid since then. And I never will.
13   Dholliday126   ignore (0)   2020 Jul 30, 8:08am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Between Chrome, Drive, Maps, Gsuite, YoutubeTV and Gmail I'm pretty screwed.....
14   just_adhom_preaching   ignore (4)   2020 Jul 30, 9:28am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says
@just_adhom_preaching You mean robots.txt?

Actually yeah, it was robots.txt.
15   Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 30, 9:42am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Dholliday126 says

I've switched to Brave and Firefox for browsing, don't need Drive or Gsuite at all, run my own mail server, and search for videos on DuckDuckGo where I can watch most YouTube videos without actually hitting the main YouTube page.
16   zzyzzx   ignore (2)   2020 Jul 30, 10:00am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Tenpoundbass says
Google Maps have become useless anyway.

Standalone GPS for the win!