To use Gmail betrays all your friends' private info

By Patrick follow Patrick   2020 Oct 23, 2:41pm 185 views   8 comments   watch   nsfw   quote   share

Most people say "Well, I don't care what Google knows about me" when reminded that Google spies on all Gmail messages, but that is a selfish way to think.

To use Gmail at all betrays to Google all of the emails you receive from everyone.

Google then sells your friends' and relatives' information to the highest bidder. Maybe it includes medical information, or tax information, or other things they really don't want Google to aggregate and sell.

Google would certainly sell information about their politics as well. That could easily get them killed in China.

I recommend https://protonmail.com/ instead of Gmail. At least I haven't heard anything about their selling your data yet.

1   noobster   ignore (0)   2020 Oct 24, 5:26pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

There's also a company called Kolab Mail I'm looking into
2   mich   ignore (0)   2020 Oct 24, 9:10pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

woww I've been meaning to switch and was going to ask around on here. Proton mail is well designed - thanks!
3   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostakovitch   ignore (60)   2020 Oct 24, 9:45pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Gmail is for FUCKING! ASSHOLES!
4   richwicks   ignore (2)   2020 Oct 24, 9:58pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Any 3rd party service data mines your data. All of them do. How do you think they can run a service? They ALL sell your information.

Even services you pay for may very well sell your data.

There is no security unless you have end to end security.
5   Patrick   ignore (1)   2020 Oct 24, 11:00pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

richwicks says
There is no security unless you have end to end security.

Yes, end to end security is actually the answer.

Pretty much every device has sftp built in, so all that is needed is a nice gui on top of sftp. Messages will just be files.

Problems:
- many ISPs and cell services do not allow incoming connections
- to send a message, you'd need to know the user's device IP address
- if the device is off or disconnected, you'll need to retry later

But these problems can be overcome.
6   richwicks   ignore (2)   2020 Oct 24, 11:05pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says
richwicks says
There is no security unless you have end to end security.

Yes, end to end security is actually the answer.

Problems:
- many ISPs and cell services do not allow incoming connections
- to send a message, you'd need to know the user's device IP address
- if the device is off or disconnected, you'll need to retry later

But these problems can be overcome.

All problems are already solved, they just cannot be used by anybody other than an engineer. I'm working on that.
7   Fortwaynemobile   ignore (3)   2020 Oct 25, 8:01am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

You convinced me, I’ll switch to proton mail
8   porkchopexpress   ignore (0)   2020 Oct 25, 8:08am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

This is why I always assume my emails are being read as I write them. Never put anything incriminating in them. Use something like Snapchat or Wickr or Signal if you want to electronically communicate really private stuff, and don't have it tied to you individually in any way (e.g., don't put your last name as your username) or register your mobile #.