please check out the anti-mandate news »

Is everyone ok with Speaker Pelosi becoming the next President?

By Rin follow Rin   2020 Nov 7, 11:47am 317 views   10 comments   watch   nsfw   quote   share

If this election goes into the never never land of lawsuits ala voter fraud, etc, then it's highly likely that Nancy Pelosi could become the next President by default.

Are you comfortable with that? Over a senile buffoon and a Leftist Harris?
1   ignoreme   ignore (3)   2020 Nov 7, 12:06pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

My understanding is that if lawsuits were to tie up the states and prevent them from certifying their votes then the state legislature would appoint the electors.
2   HunterTits   ignore (4)   2020 Nov 7, 12:49pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

No, there is zero chance.

This has been covered before.
3   HunterTits   ignore (4)   2020 Nov 7, 12:49pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

ignoreme says

Exactly.
4   richwicks   ignore (3)   2020 Nov 7, 2:16pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

TrumpingTits says
No, there is zero chance.

This has been covered before.

Yep - it has, I think you may be referring to a thread I started:

It was pointed out I was full of shit, and didn't know what I was talking about. I had to concur.

For the record, I think I was basically correct up to step #4. #3 may be incorrect based on the duration, but we'll see.
5   HunterTits   ignore (4)   2020 Nov 7, 2:21pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

richwicks says

You were absolutely correct on most of it. Esp now as I re-read it. Just the constitutional process of how POTUS' are elected you were off, which everyone seems to be caught up again like Rin here.

Booger's comment in that thread might be the most accurate & substantive to this conversation, tho. :)
7   Rin   ignore (9)   2020 Nov 7, 6:17pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

TrumpingTits says
Therefore the Red States will outvote the Blue States in the House - even if the Dems otherwise control the House nornally. All on the first vote held, probably. All Trump needs is 26 votes out of 50. And he'll carry at least that many if not more, because several non-hard core Red States that have enough GOP Reps outnumbering the Dem Reps in their total delegation will call the shots on casting that delegation's collective ONE vote. The only wild cards will be the states with an even 50-50 party split of Representatives.

But even with the wild cards, Trump will have more than enough state delegations beyond the 26 magic number to burn, I think.

I believe this is the piece on Congress making an election decision.

The question is that since it's still a Democratic house, wouldn't delaying and obstructing it, with Pelosi as the stand-in President via the succession act/rules, be the most advantageous for them?
8   ignoreme   ignore (3)   2020 Nov 7, 6:23pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I could be making this up, but I don’t think it’s an all or nothing thing.

States that are able to certify their election results by the deadline go by that. If a state is unable to, the state legislature would pick the electors.

I don’t think the house is involved at all. I think you are thinking about government succession, in which case the speaker is 3rd in line.
9   HunterTits   ignore (4)   2020 Nov 7, 6:29pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Rin says

State Legislatures would directly intervene by assigning Electors themselves. Long before the House ever got a shot at voting for POTUS directly.

The situation where Pelosi temporarily assumes control of the WH won't happen.
10   Rin   ignore (9)   2020 Nov 7, 6:38pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

TrumpingTits says
State Legislatures would directly intervene by assigning Electors themselves

Yes, this is true but if that particular state is the one with the disputed tally with indications of voter fraud, does the Legislature pick an Elector with an exact candidate to vote for or does the Elector still need 'to wait it out' for the voting recount/reconfiguration/etc to occur for his decision?