Type faster by getting electrodes implanted in your brain

By Patrick follow Patrick   2021 Jun 7, 2:40pm 97 views   4 comments   watch   nsfw   quote   share

The ancient art of handwriting has just pushed the field of brain-computer interface (BCI) to the next level. Researchers have devised a system that allows a person to communicate directly with a computer from his brain by imagining creating handwritten messages. The approach enables communication at a rate more than twice as fast as previous typing-by-brain experiments.

Researchers at Stanford University performed the study on a 65-year-old man with a spinal cord injury who had had an electrode array implanted in his brain. The scientists described the experiment recently in the journal Nature.

Typing is a bit annoying, but I think I'll stick to using my fingers instead of letting electrodes get implanted into my brain. Maybe I'll change my mind if I get a spinal cord injury, but not before then.
1   Ceffer   ignore (6)   2021 Jun 7, 7:36pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The first thing he typed was: "Get these fucking electrodes out of my fucking brain!"
2   EBGuy   ignore (0)   2021 Jun 7, 8:05pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Here's the relevant metrics from the article:
The participant was able to communicate at about 90 characters, or 18 words, per minute.
By comparison, able-bodied people close in age to the study participant can type on a smartphone at about 23 words per minute, the authors say. Adults can type on a full keyboard at an average of about 40 words per minute.
3   MisdemeanorRebellionNoCoupForYou   ignore (1)   2021 Jun 7, 8:49pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Take the electrode, bigot.
4   Patrick   ignore (1)   2021 Jun 7, 9:01pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

EBGuy says

OK, type faster than if you have spinal damage.