please check out the anti-mandate news »

Patrick buying a shotgun

By Patrick follow Patrick   2021 Aug 23, 2:49pm 1,327 views   137 comments   watch   nsfw   quote   share

After today's mandate, and yesterday's news that a healthy 43 year old woman we know had a heart attack after the jab, in addition to my wife's dead co-worker, my wife is not objecting to buying a gun.

The best home defense gun seems to be a shotgun.

Someone said "Try before you buy." How do you do that?

Apparently I need to do the CA Firearm Safety Certificate in the store:

I have to have selected my gun before doing the FSC. Then I have to wait 10 days before picking it up.

Recommendations for shotgun models?

Big 5 Sporting Goods carries these:

Citadel ATA12 12-Gauge Semi-Auto Sh...
(4)
4.3 out of 5 stars. 4 reviews
Citadel ATA12 12-Gauge Semi-Auto Shotgun
$329.99
Dickinson Arms 12-Ga. Defense Pump ...
(8)
3.9 out of 5 stars. 8 reviews
Dickinson Arms 12-Ga. Defense Pump Shotgun
$259.99
Dickinson Arms Marine 12-Gauge Tact...
(15)
4.4 out of 5 stars. 15 reviews
Dickinson Arms Marine 12-Gauge Tactical Shotgun
$369.99

I assume that's the low end and not very good.

Do shooting ranges allow shotguns? Maybe you go to a skeet place for practice.

« First    « Previous    Comments 98 - 137 of 137    Last »

98   Patrick   ignore (1)   2021 Aug 26, 6:40pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Good point, maybe the 26" barrel is too long to be practical for spinning around, but I'm probably not going to be spinning around.

I thought it was relatively short:

For our testing, we sought the middle ground and went with the new 20-gauge model that is built with a short field barrel measuring 26 inches.

99   WineHorror1   ignore (2)   2021 Aug 26, 7:25pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Just my opinion but, every man should own a gun. A man's #1 duty is protection.
100   rigidmember   ignore (0)   2021 Aug 26, 8:05pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

WineHorror1 says
Just my opinion but, every man should own a gun. A man's #1 duty is protection.

Why stop at one? Isn't there always a reason to buy another? Shotgun, rifle and handgun. I have a 9mm but really want a 45, sounds like a dilemma. Solution? Buy a new gun. Wow that stainless 357 mag is super nice, buy a new gun. Make sure you have a safe large enough to allow for new additions to the Patrick gun family.
101   Bd6r   ignore (1)   2021 Aug 26, 8:14pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says

just buy another fucking gun, you know as well as all of us that you will do it @Patrick
102   Patrick   ignore (1)   2021 Aug 26, 8:20pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Lol, I suspect you're right already. @Bd6r
103   Bd6r   ignore (1)   2021 Aug 26, 8:47pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says
Lol, I suspect you're right already.

Of course, I went through it last year. You'll be surprised how easy your wife will agree, provided that it is not several guns per month and that you can give a BS argument why you need 2, then 3, then 5 guns at home.
104   clambo   ignore (5)   2021 Aug 26, 8:50pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Markleys in Watsonville has CZ guns you can shoot to try them out.
105   SunnyvaleCA   ignore (1)   2021 Aug 26, 10:02pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

richwicks says
Crossbows can't be cocked for a long time.

Worse, crossbows probably shouldn't be strung for long periods of time. Stringing can be extremely difficult.
106   Ceffer   ignore (6)   2021 Aug 26, 10:05pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

"A gun for the mood of every paranoid ideation!"
107   HeadSet   ignore (3)   2021 Aug 27, 8:04am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Hey, ain't you guys engineers?

How hard would it be to build something that no one knows is a weapon? A spring loaded device that shoots a bolt of some sort. If not a bolt, how about a charged capacitor that delivers a high voltage shock (got that idea from a "trick" my dad and his buddies would do - charge up a AA battery-sized jelly role capacitor, then while holding it by one of the end wires, toss it to someone saying "here, catch." The catcher would of course end up coming into contact with both wires while catching the capacitor and thus get zapped). How about super soaker type gun filled with Carolina Reaper juice?
108   Bd6r   ignore (1)   2021 Aug 27, 9:45am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

HeadSet says
Hey, ain't you guys engineers?

buying gun is easier and more efficient methinks
110   SunnyvaleCA   ignore (1)   2021 Aug 27, 10:33am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

HeadSet says
The main reason to make your own weapon at home is to take advantage of "gun buyback" programs.

Well played, sir!
111   zzyzzx   ignore (2)   2021 Aug 27, 10:36am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Bd6r says
How hard would it be to build something that no one knows is a weapon?

Ever watch the movie Death Wish 3? One guy is using a home-made shotgun.
112   FortWayneAsNancyPelosiHaircut   ignore (4)   2021 Aug 27, 10:40am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says
What are my choices?

Remaining unarmed seems more dangerous at this point.

Shotguns are fine, best for home defense.

I prefer Glock 26 if you can get a CCW permit. Small and easy to conceal. Wife can use it too, no safety clip either, so not having to worry about having to do anything in emergency. And there are really good ways to hide it in and have it easily accessible in case someone busts through the door unexpectedly.
113   Patrick   ignore (1)   2021 Aug 28, 11:50pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Seems I'm not alone in my worry that the leftists are about to get very violent. Even more violent than leftists usually are.

Darren
@DarrenOverton2
10h
Replying to @RWMaloneMD
It’s beyond that now Robert, it’s getting sinister now. This is going to end badly

Robert W Malone, MD
@RWMaloneMD
10h
I fear you are correct. Priced a 12 gage the other day...

114   MisdemeanorRebellionNoCoupForYou   ignore (1)   2021 Aug 29, 5:53am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Tenpoundbass says

Yup. That's on my list. I'm going for the Henry Axe though.

It's easy as F to make gunpowder and homemade shells, too.
115   HeadSet   ignore (3)   2021 Aug 29, 7:12am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

MisdemeanorRebellionNoCoupForYou says
It's easy as F to make gunpowder and homemade shells, too.

If you are talking about the centuries old concoction of charcoal, sulfur, and saltpeter, then yes, you can make it at home. No so sure abut the nitroglycerin based modern smokeless powders, though.
116   rocketjoe79   ignore (1)   2021 Aug 29, 11:25am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

HeadSet says
MisdemeanorRebellionNoCoupForYou says
It's easy as F to make gunpowder and homemade shells, too.

Nitrocellulose? Nitroglycerin is a bit more unstable.
118   Bd6r   ignore (1)   2021 Aug 29, 8:32pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

MisdemeanorRebellionNoCoupForYou says
Yup. That's on my list. I'm going for the Henry Axe though.

It's easy as F to make gunpowder and homemade shells, too.

easier to buy 1000 shells and store them, black powder will eat your gun
119   FuckCCP89   ignore (6)   2021 Aug 29, 8:38pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Bd6r says
black powder will eat your gun

Not if you wash it with hot water and soap. No kidding.
120   Bd6r   ignore (1)   2021 Aug 29, 8:44pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

FuckCCP89 says
Not if youbwash it with hot water and soap. No kidding.

and one needs to make primer as well, which is non trivial chemically as in not blowing your arms off
121   richwicks   ignore (3)   2021 Aug 29, 9:16pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

HeadSet says
No so sure abut the nitroglycerin based modern smokeless powders, though.

Do NOT attempt to make nitroglycerin. You have to make it in an ice bath, and it's extremely volatile, meaning easy to set off.

This is why I'm interested in compressed gas weapons. They are not explosive, and they are as safe as a gun can be.

Bullets have a self life, compressed gas weapons do not. They are subsonic, which means any target will hear the shot before they are hit by it, but that time is measured in under 1 second. Supersonic weapons, the target hears it AFTER the projectile either hits or passes them.

Compressed gas weapons fire projectiles at near sonic speeds, so there isn't any time to react. No smoke because no ignition.
123   joshuatrio   ignore (0)   2021 Sep 13, 12:04pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I'm stocked decently in the CCW department. But with Biden's new tyrannical power grab and bullshit mandates, I decided to get one of those pesky AR's that the left hates... Just for the hell of it.

124   stereotomy   ignore (0)   2021 Sep 13, 12:16pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

If I had to do it over again, I'd choose 12 ga, because 20 ga is near impossible to source. You're better off with 12 ga for you and 410 bore for the wife & kids.
125   SunnyvaleCA   ignore (1)   2021 Sep 13, 12:35pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

stereotomy says
About the only practical advantage of a 20 ga over the 12 is that the gun itself is somewhat lighter. If you're worried about recoil, then the 12 is probably actually better, since you can find more options in low-recoil ammunition. Just because the 12 is capable of packing more power doesn't mean you have to buy ammunition that takes full advantage of the larger bore.

That's a shame, really, as the lighter 20 could be great. It's a catch-22 ... fewer ammunition choices because it's not as popular and it's not as popular because it has fewer ammunition choices.
126   Bd6r   ignore (1)   2021 Sep 13, 8:56pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

joshuatrio says

I am out of gun safe space, which means that I have to discreetly insert a line for 12-18 gun safe purchase in next family budget and hope that I don't get a line-item veto...

Currently I am stocking up on ammunition. Prices went up again because Bidet introduced import restrictions.

As next gun, I am thinking about PSL-54 or something like that, if I can find reasonably priced one.
127   FortWayneAsNancyPelosiHaircut   ignore (4)   2021 Sep 13, 9:17pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says

Darren
@DarrenOverton2
10h
Replying to @RWMaloneMD

Robert W Malone, MD
@RWMaloneMD
10h
I fear you are correct. Priced a 12 gage the other day...

was buying ammo recently, stores are still packed with people buying guns, just everyday americans, many korean families too (last part made me chuckle a bit)
128   Patrick   ignore (1)   2021 Sep 13, 10:48pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I noticed that too. The gun store was extremely busy, phone ringing all the time.

I see it as a response to Biden deciding that he can violate the Constitution whenever he feels like it, but also as people being worried about yet more leftist violence.
129   joshuatrio   ignore (0)   2021 Sep 14, 5:46am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Bd6r says
joshuatrio says

Ammo seems a lot more available than it was a while back. I can find .223 now for about 30-40 cents a round.

20 Guage seems common at Walmart, 9mm was still pricey when I checked...

What are your buy prices per caliber?
130   WineHorror1   ignore (2)   2021 Sep 14, 6:09am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

joshuatrio says

Do you have a link to .223/5.56 for 30 cents/round?
131   Bd6r   ignore (1)   2021 Sep 14, 6:13am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

joshuatrio says
What are your buy prices per caliber?

This has the best prices I have been able to find: https://ammoseek.com/
9 mm, one can get 36-40 cents/round; but I would avoid reloads.
Prices have gone up in last 2 weeks somewhat, especially for Russian-produced ammo (7.62x39)
132   joshuatrio   ignore (0)   2021 Sep 14, 8:16am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Bd6r says
joshuatrio says
What are your buy prices per caliber?

This has the best prices I have been able to find: https://ammoseek.com/
9 mm, one can get 36-40 cents/round; but I would avoid reloads.

Yeah it's steel, but brass is 48 cents a round. It was yesterday anyways....

I just picked up 1000 rounds of this: https://2awarehouse.com/igman-223-rem-55gr-full-metal-jacket-brass-1-000rd-case/
133   WineHorror1   ignore (2)   2021 Sep 14, 10:22am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@Patrick

Have you exercised your weapon yet?
134   Patrick   ignore (1)   2021 Sep 14, 10:30am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

@WineHorror1 Not yet, but I'm going to take a shotgun course and go to a local range to practice.
135   WineHorror1   ignore (2)   2021 Sep 14, 11:19am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says

I'm going to bug you until you do. Aren't you retired now. Time's a waist'n. 🙂
136   joshuatrio   ignore (0)   2021 Sep 14, 11:31am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Patrick says

Time to get your ass in gear @patrick.
137   rocketjoe79   ignore (1)   2021 Sep 14, 1:58pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

This is a great article about Kinetic energy, various loads and weapons, including shotguns. Discussion about home defense, etc. Very informative!!

« First    « Previous    Comments 98 - 137 of 137    Last »