An Idea That Apparently Is Too Hard To Grasp For Some Patnetters

1,400 views  125 comments             share

by HunterTits   $0.20 total tips   💰tip   follow   2022 Apr 29, 4:10pm

TOk, tell me how this doesn't work.

Note: That means you have to actually fucking read through this and familiarize yourself with the details. Don't post critiques that only prove that you didn't do so. I will rip you a new asshole if you do.

But otherwise...rip away:

Can't wait until someone figures out a way to get people to rent their ADUs out to a firm that then sublets it to 50+ remote workers. That way, they can all say they work in Palo Alto, etc, pay CA income taxes...the works. They have official residence status and get paid Cali wages. But the ADU won't be physically used except on a first-come-first-served basis for when any of those subletters have to actually show up for one of the times they have to be in town. And it is not like the neighbors will notice this and complain to authorities, like they occasionally do when they notice apartments have 8 people living in them. There will only be one or maybe two people staying at the ADU at any given time, as is legal to do.

I would pay $300/month for that. Esp if I moved to a no-income tax state.

$300/month for 50 subletters = $15,000/month for the ADU. I am surprised homeowners haven't set up an LLC to do just that with their ADUs.

Again, before some of you pick holes in nothing because you didn't pay attention to the above details (which are everything):

ADU owner 'rents out' his unit to an LLC/Corp entity. Esp an out-of-state one, preferably. That firm then sublets the flying fuck out of it to 50+ remote workers. Think of this as sort of like a remote worker AirBnB. It's like a timeshare, where if the subletters want to actually use it, then they have to reserve it and pay a cleaning fee, etc to use it for a short period of time. All reserved up so other subletters can't use it when they want to? Easy, they go to Motel 6 while in town. Early bird gets the fucking worm, assholes!

This way the unit is legally rented out to one tenant as far as what the homeowner is on the hook to report or care about, technically. Even if the homeowner owns the tenant legal entity.

I suppose that the State would figure out that 50+ people 'live' there because of what they report on their tax forms and driver licenses, etc. But apartments with 10+ people also show up in those records (migrants...both legal and illegal) and they don't give a fuck about that.

Any other holes in this?

« First    « Previous    Comments 19 - 58 of 125   Next »    Last »

19   Hircus   2022 Apr 29, 9:34pm

HunterTits says

Hircus says
No you didnt.

Oh yes I fucking did. Or it should be obvious based upon what I wrote.

You said vaugaries about paying taxes to 1 or 2 states. You said nothing of my question about federal.

Dont be such a twat.
20   HunterTits   2022 Apr 29, 9:35pm

Lot of ppl failing to deal with this concept because it is outside their conceptual box. Some like Ft Wayne even try to then force it into their box instead.

Don't say that I didn't warn you. Predicted this from the get go.

Same token, I don't see why this us fucking hard to understand, either.
21   HunterTits   2022 Apr 29, 9:36pm

Hircus says

Dont be such a twat.

No I didn't. I never said anything vague at all about where you pay income taxes. You pay in the state proven where you legally reside and work in. I was quite clear.
22   FortwayeAsFuckJoeBiden   2022 Apr 29, 9:39pm

HunterTits says

FortwayeAsFuckJoeBiden says

i don’t see savings. pretty easy to rent a closet in an office building somewhere for an address.

might work better if you rent fictitious address in Florida to not pay CA taxes… at least savings.

You don't get it. Just proved it by what you just typed.

you asked, i answered, you complained… have it your way. don’t care
23   HunterTits   2022 Apr 29, 9:42pm

Hircus says
You said nothing of my question about federal.

Where the flying fuck is this federal shit coming from?

It is the state tax returns that ask if you earned money out of state or moved in that tax year to another state.

Feds don't give a shit. They get their money unless you live in a US territory.
24   Hircus   2022 Apr 29, 9:48pm

whatever you say. have fun if you get audited.
25   HunterTits   2022 Apr 29, 9:48pm

FortwayeAsFuckJoeBiden says

you asked, i answered, you complained… have it your way. don’t care

WTF does this say. Right at the top of this post:

HunterTits says

I warned you. You didn't read that either, it seems.

Sorry to be a dick, but what you and Hircus keep saying is outright exasperating. Esp all the effort I put into detailing how this works.

Winehorror seems to get it. So I don't think the retardation is at my end.

This is an out-of-the-box-context thing. That means you have to pay attention to the details because if you don't, you brain will just fill in shit entirely based on pre-existing biases and conventions - which become immediately obvious when you post a comment.

I just love how some of you claim I say shit I never did, too. Those are the ones who really didn't pay any attention.
27   GNLusedtobeWi   2022 Apr 29, 10:03pm

Questions I have...

1) would you have to pay taxes to 2 different states?
2) it would be in the ADU owner/subletter's best interest to make some kind of spreadsheet that would convince potential clients
it is worth doing, don't you think? If everything checks out, yes, I think this could be a great money maker.
3) Yes or No? Would tracking your IP address (every remote worker is going to be working on a computer) give your working location
away to your boss/IT department? If so, would this kill the idea?
28   SunnyvaleCA   2022 Apr 29, 11:48pm

WineHorror1 says
away to your boss/IT department? If so, would this kill the idea?
The ADU has a little server room that hosts VPN software. ADU renters would get access to the VPN so it looks like you have a local IP address.
29   SunnyvaleCA   2022 Apr 29, 11:50pm

Might as well do it in East Palo Alto. Nobody would notice the continuous rotation of occupants or if you stuff 5 or 10 people in the ADU.
31   HunterTits   2022 Apr 30, 12:53am

WineHorror1 says

Who is going to track it? And it can be spoofed with a VPN. My VPN shows me being in Toronto, Ontario, for example.

WineHorror1 says
1) would you have to pay taxes to 2 different states?

How many ppl rent in the state they 'live' an work vs where their out-of-state himself is? Do they pay income taxes in both states?

Even when the laws are on the books to pursue ppl.who do, they are not enforced any more than the Use Tax is. Unless they want to politically punish you like NY city and state did to Rush Limbaugh after he moved to Florida. But even in that case he wasn't working remotely and there was a paper trail proving he was working in NYC.
32   HunterTits   2022 Apr 30, 12:59am

SunnyvaleCA says

I expressly said ther would be not be that many ppl at any time. As fir continues rotation, the apt next door to mine has that going on already. Dunno if they are AirBnBing or the property Mgr is doing it. Nothing is illegal about it.
33   HunterTits   2022 Apr 30, 1:01am

SunnyvaleCA says

How and why would remote ADU subletters use it?
34   RWSGFY   2022 Apr 30, 7:31am

Aren't there laws regulating how many people can legally live in a unit of a certain size?

Sure, slumlords violate them all the time, but if we are talking "strictly above the board" model this would be one of the obstacles.
35   Tenpoundbass   2022 Apr 30, 7:43am

Why do you need an ADU?
The ADU most likely wont have its own address number, like 921-B or 922 if the main house was 921.
Why not just set everything up in a SFH inside the main house?

And to answer your question about the IRS laws being broken, just wait until they audit and find out you don't actually have an Office that you're adding to your itemized deductions.
36   HunterTits   2022 Apr 30, 7:48am

RWSGFY says

How so? Not enforced proactively. Only if neighbors complain/report. Which they won't because at most would be one person/couple showing up at a time, much like if it were AirBnB'd.

Even the authorities in SF don't care when units are converted to de facto dorms.

And in this case, all that exists on paper at the landlord end is the lease between him and the out of state LLC/Corp that is subletting out.
37   Tenpoundbass   2022 Apr 30, 7:50am

HunterTits says
READ. I already explained all this. Twice now, I think.

You have not explained Jack SHIT! You put together a loosely hobble thought about using your shed out back and putting in a bunch of computers and a fast internet connection, and then renting those remote workstations out as physical locations, for dishonest scofflaws to use around the country to evade local, state and Federal income taxes. What you're proposing isn't like a PO box.
Now that people are asking questions trying to understand what you're trying to do, you snap back "Read the damn thing!".

All we're trying to do is understand what we already read, do you want input or not? If anyone misunderstood what they read, then answer their question and enlighten them. Just barking out "Read the damn thing!" isn't a productive answer.
38   GNLusedtobeWi   2022 Apr 30, 7:56am

I would be bet that people are asking questions or making comments because it sounds like a workable idea. If the idea were to hold up, I'd be very interested in investing/partnering.
39   HunterTits   2022 Apr 30, 8:01am

You have not explained Jack SHIT

Just because you didn't bother to ficking read does n8t prove that I haven't Saud jack shit.

Example:

Tenpoundbass says

I.never said any of that bullshit you just wrote. None.

You just dreamed all that up on your own. Because you didn't bother to fucking read.

Here's another one you pulled out if your ass:

Tenpoundbass says

I never said ppl shouldn't pay their taxes. Quite the opposite.

Tenpoundbass says

Not from you and all the other total jackasses here who should go get jobs at CNN misrepresenting shit since that is clearly what you are doing now...simply because you are too intellectually lazy to FUCKING READ.

Just stay out of it. You're wasting ppl's time AND looking like a jackassed idiot at the same time. <--- fact, not opinion. You really fucked up TPB. It is embarrassing to see.
40   HunterTits   2022 Apr 30, 8:11am

WineHorror1 says

@WineHorror1 Gets The Patnet Award For Having Reading Comprehension Skills That Don't Suck

Whereas @Tenpoundbass Gets The Patnet Award For Getting Thru Life With Shitty Reading Comprehension Skills.

So, moving forward. Finding a landlord who would set this up. One with decent reading comprehension skills is a must, as we have all learned here.
41   GNLusedtobeWi   2022 Apr 30, 8:17am

I haven't paid attention to where every Patnetter lives. Who is on the ground in SF, Palo Alto etc? Maybe there is even a Patnetter who has something to rent? But then, I guess they could simply run with the idea themselves.

1 more question: would the subletter face any liability for, well...are there any unknowns?
42   HunterTits   2022 Apr 30, 8:21am

Why do you need an ADU?

You don't. Could be a duplex unit. Could even be a condo.

Tenpoundbass says
Why not just set everything up in a SFH inside the main house?

Better to have a distinct unit, I would think.

Tenpoundbass says
The ADU most likely wont have its own address number,

Tenpoundbass says

Your house elsewhere. The one you own. If you have a room that you use as an office.

And this isn't about IRS deductions. This is about doing what you have to to get the Bay Area $$$$ from your employer while living in an area outside it.

The math difference can be immense. $200k vs $120k or even less. So if there are complications with the home office deduction from this...guess what, fucking forgoing said deduction is probably more than worth it
43   Tenpoundbass   2022 Apr 30, 8:29am

HunterTits says
<--- fact, not opinion. You really fucked up TPB. It is embarrassing to see.

I see your problem, you write a hairbrained idea using abbreviations not everyone in the country understands, you say you would put remote access in the ADU(from what I found that's a shed or a detached dwelling, am I correct?).
You really didn't explain who your customer would be, or provide any use case when people try to connect the dots on their own. You then accuse them not reading it. Then rather than providing clarity, you go on to quote all of the bits that made you upset and made quips about them, rather than providing feedback.

Admit it, you're not looking for advice, opinions, or collaboration on your idea. You just want to bitch the responses to your threads. You've got a little bit of a Contention problem!
You're not sure why you're arguing or to what end, are you?

OK great one! Enlighten me, why in the fuck would I load my fucking shed out back up with hundreds of remote access, if not to run a virtual PO box remote office sort of deal for evading tax laws and defrauding City and States.

I'm not necessarily knocking it from your side, but it sure sounds like your Customer use case would be a scofflaw. And when they go down, they'll bring the whole load of poo water to your front door.
44   Rin   2022 Apr 30, 8:35am

HunterTits says
WineHorror1 says

Here's the thing here, you'll need two VPNs. The first is the one which boots up with your desktop and the 2nd, for the work itself (usually given by your firm's IT dept) on the same hardware. Sometimes, these things can conflict in terms of security settings between the differing software tools.

A better way is to get a Virtual Hosting Server where in effect, your workstation is on a server farm somewhere in California and then, using your home PC, you log onto your virtualized workstation & then, you separate your work & home computing environments completely. By doing all, all your IT updates and packages get delivered to a remote desktop far away from home and then, your IT dept knows nothing about you.
45   clambo   2022 Apr 30, 8:54am

I believe the objective of the post is to earn higher California pay and pay lower rent in a cheaper housing preferably in a state with no income tax.

At first I was confused because I didn’t know if the higher pay in California is worth the state income taxes one owes on income derived from California.

The difference to decide may depend on the other sources of income one might have besides his labor, e.g. dividends, capital gains and interest.

For example, one could be a Florida resident and have $50,000 income from dividends and etc. and owe no California tax on this money.

But I’m not sure how it would work because the employer will use the California address for the W2 and 1099.

I met several people in Baja California Sur Mexico who worked remotely to take advantage of much lower housing prices; they were from Vancouver, Portland, Europe.

Of course they had other reasons also.

I’m dealing with the problem a bit myself because I need to renew my drivers license in a couple of years even if I don’t spend much time in Florida.
46   HunterTits   2022 Apr 30, 9:05am

Tenpoundbass says

No you are not correct. I fucking never said any such thing.

Simeone else brought it up and I asked why even bother?
47   HunterTits   2022 Apr 30, 9:13am

Tenpoundbass says
You really didn't explain who your customer would be,

Oh yes I fucking did. Clear as hell I did.

Tenpoundbass says
You then accuse them not reading it

Accusation based upon observed evidence you yourself provided and continue to do so.

Tenpoundbass says
you're not looking for advice, opinions, or collaboration on your idea.

No.. What I refuse to put up with are ppl who fucking waste my time because they are too lazy to FUCKING READ.

Here's your enlightenment:

I NEVER FUCKING SAID THAT.

How many times do I have to say that? And then you wonder why I say YOU DON'T FUCKING READ?
48   Shaman   2022 Apr 30, 9:14am

I think the ADU scheme would work.
But would subletting your own house also accomplish the same thing? And how many times can you sublet your house? Is there a limit?
Because the real purpose of this arrangement is secure a legitimate physical mailing address where mail and documents can be delivered and residence established. An enterprising home owner could “sublet” in this way to as many remote workers as necessary. Maybe just not from the same company.
49   HunterTits   2022 Apr 30, 9:17am

Rin says

Ok. Perhaps I am missing something here, but why would I need that?

I go to a park. Use my cellphone Hotspot to work remotely. Does that mean my legal residence is now in that park?

I go to Starbucks, use their wifi....

...and so on.
50   HunterTits   2022 Apr 30, 9:31am

clambo says

Yes. That is the gist of it.

$200k but paying CA income taxes but not CA housing costs vs being paid $120k or less if I do things the conventional way like formally moving my residence to Podonkia and tell my employer so.

My $300 or so month rental of the ADU or Duplex or whatever gives me a lease and paper trail which I can take to the DMV, get my W-2s delivered to and (if necessary) give a copy to my employer to confirm that I live in the Bay Area to justify my Bay Area salary.

Meanwhile, I work from my HOUSE THAT I CAN FINALLY AFFORD TO FUCKING BUY that has a payment no more than $1k/mo. In Podonkia.

Legally and as far as the IRS and CA is concerned, that house is my secondary residence.

The state that the house is in has the onus of proving otherwise, which will be a tough nut to crack esp given the costs in doing so will be greater than what they would get back from me.

Ppl work from the out of state secondary homes all the time, ppl. So Podonkia will collect my property taxes on it and just call it a day.
51   HunterTits   2022 Apr 30, 9:41am

Shaman says
I think the ADU scheme would work.

You've got the gist of it. More than I can say of others in this thread.

This is why I propose an intermediary legal entity interposed between the homeowner and all those remote renters. Homeowner only has one tenant on the books. One lease. The entity has the multiple leases. Preferably an entity charted out of state somewhere.
52   GNLusedtobeWi   2022 Apr 30, 9:46am

HunterTits says

This is the kind of math I want to know more about. At what numbers does it make sense for someone to want to do this? Once we know the numbers, we can then target the client base and market. It would be a good idea to partner with, or have on retainer(?), an excellent tax attorney/preparer.
53   GNLusedtobeWi   2022 Apr 30, 9:50am

Shaman says
Maybe just not from the same company.

Good catch. Yes, this would be very important.
54   GNLusedtobeWi   2022 Apr 30, 9:54am

How big is the market? I suspect it is more than just California this would work in. Probably many many large cities. Come on guys, let's get something going.
55   HunterTits   2022 Apr 30, 10:06am

WineHorror1 says

WineHorror1

Yep. I am going off of my situation, my boss' and two coworkers who make less than me.

Those discussions with them is what spawned this idea.
56   WookieMan   2022 Apr 30, 10:43am

HunterTits says

Homeowners tax exemption is something to factor in. Not a huge break anyway, but you'd have to pay higher property taxes in Podonkia if I'm following correctly. So primary is in high pay CA, but you don't actually live there and can utilize the space when required for the occasional quarterly meeting to stay at or whatever and earn more money because of COL. Spouse can work in income tax free Podonkia AND your house is substantially cheaper than CA. So the $300/mo on the ADU is not a big deal.

Not a dig, but I'm reading what you're saying, but it's not 100% clear to be honest.

If I'm understanding correctly this is what I think you're talking about:

Work in silly valley, but are allowed to work remotely, but pay is based on where you live.
If they know you live in Milton, FL where you can get a $200-250k house, they pay you less working remotely?
You get the job and say you live at 123 Maple Ave in San Francisco at the ADU.
You get your 6 figure job in CA and have a cheap house/COL somewhere else.
If married spouse can work in FL and have no income tax, while you still technically live in CA and pay their taxes.

If I'm following it's somewhat similar to trucking companies getting Maine license plates for their trailers. They don't live or reside there, pay the registration fees to Maine and any other applicable taxes, but it's substantially cheaper than say getting registration in IL or CA if you're the trucking company.

Basically I fly out to CA, get a job with Apple. I rent the ADU and list that as my W-4 address, but I'm really living in FL and Apple allows me to work remote. I pay CA income taxes on my income, my spouse pays no FL income taxes if they work in FL. You then get a cheaper house than you could get in CA but Apple thinks you live in CA for the $300/mo.

On the business side you're renting out a single ADU to multiple people in CA and raking in some income as no one generally will use it and you likely won't get caught as long as you document the rents and pay appropriate fees/taxes. It makes sense if I'm following correctly. You generally have to just provide gross income on rentals, you don't have to report the leases or number of "tenants" so to speak.

Audit issue I see is if the gross ADU rental is insane. If there's a red flag on your taxes, an ADU getting $15k/mo is just that, a red flag. IRS can/will do a quick GIS map search of the property and know that income is way more than should be coming in. The renters paying $300/mo would have to not write of the cost as you kind of mention. IRS will flag that shit in a second if 50 people write off a lease at the same address and it's discovered it's an ADU.

It make sense for as long as it's allow and you're prepared for legal fees. Just because something is legal, doesn't mean a local muni or state will not try and take you to court over it. It does sound like a good idea or a win/win for homeowners with an ADU and the remote work employee. Hell even the employer as they'll have a happier employee likely having an employee living in a lower COLA, but they would necessarily know it's basically a BS address.
57   WookieMan   2022 Apr 30, 10:49am

TL:DR - It's a good idea for property owners with an ADU. I'd be careful with "over renting" so to speak would be the only suggestion. Or buy the house in an LLC as you say, rent the main space and then an ADU. This is actually a great idea if I'm getting the idea correctly.
58   Ceffer   2022 Apr 30, 10:57am

I don't think I would want the 'proxy liability' if these timeshare renters don't pay their taxes, commit crimes, use the place as a cover for illegal activities etc. especially if you are giving them an address (yours) to exploit as flybys? It sounds like you are renting out your address more than renting out a space to a variety of John Does, with the space itself as a pretense for temporary rental. What process would you have to implement to vet these guys? It would cost more than $300 a month to require them to carry their own insurance, which would be defined as what exactly?

Sometimes if officialdom comes sniffing around to skip trace a timeshare guy using the address, they might just think the owner is the next best thing to arrest or extort. Insurance would be a nightmare. The 'clients' are all scattered to the wind, but you are standing there with the official bullseye on your back for every obscure regulation and requirement that a predatory bureaucrat could drum up. I can't see keeping something like this 'under the radar'.

When I had business at a specific leased address, the first thing I noticed was that I was a sitting duck target of every regulator, tax shill and fee bandit who was aware of my address, which I had to promote to promote the business. I remember getting all of those dunning and tax letters for employees who only were there a short time. Having a bunch of people funneling through an address with you holding the bag for the address itself does not sound like something that would last long without negative consequences.

« First    « Previous    Comments 19 - 58 of 125   Next »    Last »

Please register to comment:

about   best comments   contact   latest images   one year ago   random   suggestions