Why memes are so effective

2022 Jul 22, 6:32pm   1,169 views  36 comments

by Patrick   ➕follow (49)   💰tip ($0.87 in tips)

lying with taut talking points or evocative images is easy. hell, that’s what they’re for.

but memes that lie mostly do not work.

they are not funny or evocative because the analogy fails. it’s code that won’t compile. only that which draws valid comparison sets off the associational informational cascade that leads to the vast enhancements in informational density that make this modality special.

and without that your meme loses its potency.

you can only tell people so much in a brief span.

that’s why they call it an “attention economy.”

the true meme gets you to run code you already have installed.

that’s why it is so powerful and why its effect cumulate.

we are just starting to see the capability of this jump in communication evolution.

it will shake worlds.

and this is a glorious thing.

it skewers everything.

no one is safe.

(not even if they were promised that there would be a monkey to help them)

the speed with which this can pour a spicy glass of “shut the hell up” and provoke real thought by eliciting and evoking analogy is unprecedented as is the sublime, anarchic free market to select and spread the best means of doing so.

once, the powers that be needed fear only a few cartoonists and voices and could easily suppress their spread. now you must fight against the full force of the insight and creativity of the global myriads and the relentless upvote of the informational instantiations which best work to convey meaning as infallibly adjudicated by an audience of billions that play off one another like jazz night at birdland.

« First        Comments 11 - 36 of 36

11   Patrick   2022 Jul 23, 9:01am

OMG, this is brilliant and I think a great illustration of the power of turning the lies and stupidity of wokeness against itself:

I don't know for sure that he's the one who originated it, but writer Matt Walsh has certainly popularized this increasing tendency among online conservatives. Whenever a leftist or progressive revolutionary weighs in on an issue or offers a condemning retort, the response is to quote tweet with the phrase "pronouns in bio."

The point being that someone who fastidiously toes the line of what's-happening-now to the degree that they feel it necessary or even morally responsible to tell everyone what pronouns they use for themselves is not someone in whose wisdom we should place much confidence.

As I said, the trend is catching on, and as much as they pretend it doesn't bother them, it routinely evokes some of the most indignant responses.

Just quoting a wokie and adding "pronouns in bio" is more devastating than "OK, boomer" ever was.

It's the kind of jujitsu that el gato malo was talking about. How can they fight the weight of their own stupidity?
12   richwicks   2022 Jul 23, 9:02am

HunterTits says

HeadSet says

Example to the contrary:

Oh, there are exceptions. Make me laugh, too.

But 99% of Left meme attempts fall flat.

I'll say something that I bet more than 95% of the people here will disagree with. The left was the first to create the art of memes

They weren't trying to be funny in my opinion back then, they were trying to wake "the right" up. Bush really was awful. I think a lot of people forget this, or still deny it.

13   cisTits   2022 Jul 23, 9:02am

Patrick says

for perhaps the first time in history, we have the template to refute big lies more quickly and more comprehensively than they can be told.

This is why they ban memes in Europe.
14   richwicks   2022 Jul 23, 9:04am

HunterTits says

Patrick says

This is why they ban memes in Europe.

They can ban whatever they like in Europe. Just make a website in the United States. Their laws don't apply here.
15   cisTits   2022 Jul 23, 9:07am

richwicks says

Yes. Back before they all collectively went insane. Or were just starting to.
16   richwicks   2022 Jul 23, 9:35am

HunterTits says

Yes. Back before they all collectively went insane. Or were just starting to.

I think quite a few of them just stayed where they were and let what they thought were principled, moral people, go along like bulls with a nose ring being led.

The reason I remember the memes of those times, is I created a few.

If we get a new Neocon "republican" president, he will suck, and you will see quite quickly how fast the worm turns and it will be "the right can't meme" in short order.
18   AmericanKulak   2022 Jul 23, 6:18pm

richwicks says

Yeah, I gotta disagree. Leftist memes pretty much all suck.

They also called Reagan Hitler, too. And Nixon I think, but I wasn't alive then so I'm not sure.
19   cisTits   2022 Jul 23, 7:42pm

Here's a decent one:

20   Bd6r   2022 Jul 23, 7:52pm

Rare to see more than 1 conservative sticker on truck. Usually just FJB or trump won or trump 2024 around here. Lefties on other hand plaster their puny cars with tens of stickers.
21   richwicks   2022 Jul 24, 8:16am

Bd6r says

I think the screw up, except for "Trump '20", is that none of those bumper stickers are real.

Really, the cartoonist was AFRAID to put up authentic stickers.
22   Bd6r   2022 Jul 24, 8:51am

richwicks says

Really, the cartoonist was AFRAID to put up authentic stickers.

Yeah, other than trump 20 I have not seen any of those. T shirt also is fake. Lately driving around TX countryside I also see explicit Fuck Biden stickers.
23   HeadSet   2022 Jul 24, 8:53am

richwicks says

Yep, when building a straw man the author cannot use facts.
27   Tenpoundbass   2022 Nov 29, 6:38am

Bd6r says

The MAGA hat, has got to be the biggest collection of new unused hats in the history of hats. People will have a brand New MAGA hat never worn in 20 years. They only time they get worn is a Trump rally.
28   Tenpoundbass   2022 Nov 29, 6:49am

Proud of you Son!

30   Patrick   2022 Nov 29, 10:29am

Tenpoundbass says

Proud of you Son!

This is appropriate behavior. It should be strongly rewarded by everyone.

If I ever see a tampon dispenser in a men's room, I will do the same thing.
34   HeadSet   2023 Jan 18, 7:51am

They say "You won't fix anything by posting memes." What are they saying, we need to go after them?

Please register to comment:

api   best comments   contact   latest images   memes   one year ago   random   suggestions