Jordan Peterson explains the flaws with global warming fundamentalists

By CBOEtrader following x   2018 Dec 20, 7:13am 339 views   16 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

"The unreliability of the models widens out over time. 50 years out we cant measure the consequences of either our positive or negative actions"

This innate modeling flaw is exactly what global warming psuedo-scientists fail to understand.
1   Evan F.   ignore (0)   2018 Dec 20, 8:55am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Professor Jordan Peterson, climate scientist 🙄
2   TwoScoopsOfSpaceForce   ignore (4)   2018 Dec 20, 10:16am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Great video, discussed the inability to prioritize and the error margin of these predictions.

I remember Miami and Manhattan were supposed to be under water by now.
3   HEYYOU   ignore (26)   2018 Dec 20, 10:36am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Does Peterson know at what temperature water boils?
It varies at different elevations. That means that we don't know the boiling temperature.
4   CBOEtrader   ignore (3)   2018 Dec 20, 11:09am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Evan F. says
Professor Jordan Peterson, climate scientist 🙄

*fingers meet ears*

Nice life strategy.
5   marcus   ignore (7)   2018 Dec 20, 11:19am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

CBOEtrader says

I like Peterson a lot, but this was the worst argument in the whole video. Actually not an argument. WHy is not being able to accurately predict how much our actions will affect global warming an argument for inaction ? The wide range of possibilities 50 years out is also an argument that it may be much worse than we think.

IF you watched and comprehended the entire video, then you get that Petersons main point is, "what are we going to do about it ?" He is pessimistic about us addressing it well, far more than he is questioning the reality of the problem.

What are we going to do is a very valid question, considering many are opposed to nuclear. I believe modern nuclear possibly thorium, will one of the solutions eventually, as well as batteries that store solar.

Peterson is a very smart guy. I predict you will definitely see him address this more in depth in the future. (not that depth is going to be useful to the deniers). This is probably one of the least impressive talks I've seen from him, and trust me, he knows it.
6   CBOEtrader   ignore (3)   2018 Dec 20, 11:29am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

marcus says

Lol Marcus you crack me up. This wasnt a talk, it was an answer to a question.

I post it w/o any interpretation besides a highlighted quote and somehow you both assume and do your pedantic pretentious dance around that made up assumption. This pattern is becoming humorous
7   Onvacation   ignore (4)   2018 Dec 20, 11:31am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Evan F. says
Professor Jordan Peterson, climate scientist 🙄

Who do you consider to be a "climate scientist"?

Give us your most reputable source?
8   CBOEtrader   ignore (3)   2018 Dec 20, 11:32am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

marcus says

As every rational person should be. Notice how you skip past this point and somehow still spin this in your brain as anti "deniers". Lol, ^^ strong evidence of a brainwashed mind
9   marcus   ignore (7)   2018 Dec 20, 12:00pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

CBOEtrader says
Lol Marcus you crack me up. This wasnt a talk, it was an answer to a question.

Major error on my part. I guess even if I said part of a talk it was wrong. Okay, let me try again. It was one of the least impressive answers to a question I've seen.

CBOEtrader says
I post it w/o any interpretation besides a highlighted quote

What was this then ?

CBOEtrader says

(also - no they don't. Those bands are usually included in their analysis and it's actually the source of the most hysterical fears concerning the risk. AS someone that used to carry options positions, certainly you understand risk analysis. Nobody is claiming anything with anthing close to certainty about where things are at 50 years from now. It's about risks versus costs).

Btw, I had seen this video before,on my own, and had exactly the same thoughts on it that I shared here. Except here I focused slightly more focused on that one quote, which honestly was the problem I had with it before. But since it was your focus.

You're the one that wants to make this about you and me. Did you even watch the full 6 minutes ?

I thought the following part of my comment was a very clear and it is my take away from the video. If you disagree, why not simply explain why.

marcus says
10   marcus   ignore (7)   2018 Dec 20, 12:18pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

CBOEtrader says
strong evidence of a brainwashed mind

Kettle calling stove black ?

CBOEtrader says
global warming psuedo-scientists
11   CBOEtrader   ignore (3)   2018 Dec 20, 12:22pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

marcus says

marcus says

Ok. I disagree w your conclusion from this point. How do you go from this to "let's give a worldwide tax to an unelected intranational band of the most privileged schmucks ever produced on our planet."?

I agree w J Petersons approach. Agree and focus on what you can best effect now. Create a (free market) environment wherein poor people are enriched to hopefully open up the wealth of worldwide innovation from thousands of newly empowered geniuses.
12   Onvacation   ignore (4)   2018 Dec 20, 12:23pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

CBOEtrader says

You meant climate change pseudoscientists.
They used to call it global warming until things cooled down.
13   CBOEtrader   ignore (3)   2018 Dec 20, 12:46pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

marcus says
It was one of the least impressive answers to a question I've seen.

Ok. Well, I havent seen a model successfully predict empirical changes. Neither has the american people.

marcus says

Ah ok. Discuss cost next, but the efficacy of the models hasn't been proven. Am I wrong? Please show me the paper from 5/10/15 years ago w the predictions and error bands you mention?

The options models are INCREDIBLY simple compared to climate change. It is appropriate to question the climate models. More likely you get a bunch of specialized genius general idiot types in an intellectual circle jerk. Ask the 2008 housing crash how well egg-head math can model a complex real world
14   marcus   ignore (7)   2018 Dec 20, 2:47pm   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Onvacation says
They used to call it global warming until things cooled down.

THat's a total lie. Threres been a micro blip down wit the uptrend in tact. But that blip is what the past two years at the most.

The term climate change, which should have never been used (becasue of the idiocracy we live in), was gained in popularity because storms and yes even cold weather in one region simultaneous with for example the pole or poles being warmer is an actual effect of global warming. But actually the term climate change has been used in reference to global warming for decades.

And it was grew in popularity in the media over global warming more than a decade before this little down blip you're referring to ?

Knowingly lying seems to be a key component of being a right winger.

The IPCC was formed in 1988. Guess what CC stands for.
15   marcus   ignore (7)   2018 Dec 20, 3:05pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

CBOEtrader says
Well, I havent seen a model successfully predict empirical changes

I agree with this somewhat. For example the melting of arctic ice has happened MUCH faster than most models predicted (not withstanding Gores quote of some guy about possibilities )

Actually I think the options trading and risk management comparison is fitting. Nobody predicts with accuracy what markets are going to do or what volatility is going to do. But people make decisions based on probabilities and risk.

If the best argument you have for inaction is that we don't know precisely enough what's going to happen ? I find that surprising.

We have proven science that tells us what increasing carbon in the atmosphere does. We have data on air and ocean temperatures.

But we also have an idiocracy that thinks politics is a my team against your team sport, and unfortunately democrats believe climate change is one of the biggest risks risks humanity. I really wish it had been republicans, but it's hard to imagine such a world.
16   CBOEtrader   ignore (3)   2018 Dec 20, 3:31pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

marcus says

The models arent accurate enough to even know what is positive or negative, what is good or bad.

They are currently discussing spraying particles into the atmosphere. Does this sound like a good idea to you. Or may, just MAYBE, human nature will be proven to be consistent again and we're experiencing major hubris in these scientific communities.

The question isnt just action yes or action no. What do you suggest we do?

If you are spending resources, where and how much?

The Housing Trap