Afterlife exists says top brain surgeon

By Strategic Renter following x   2012 Oct 9, 11:16am 2,272 views   8 comments   watch   nsfw   quote     share

A prominent scientist who had previously dismissed the possibility of the afterlife says he has reconsidered his belief after experiencing an out of body experience which has convinced him that heaven exists.

1   Dan8267   ignore (3)   2012 Oct 9, 12:38pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Another person has a delusion as the brain is deprived of oxygen. Just about as much proof of an afterlife as a cocaine high.

Does my computer go to heaven when I turn it off?

2   Automan Empire   ignore (2)   2012 Oct 9, 1:15pm   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

As a "top brain surgeon," he should realize that a study with N=1, and the 1 is HIM PERSONALLY, does NOT constitute scientific evidence.

In the '90s, I was an intrepid young hippie interested in psychology, neurology, ethnobotany, etc. I dabbled in my own "applied neurochemistry" studies with nootropics and psychedelics. I have experienced firsthand the things that shamen, prophets, and near-dead people do, even dying myself (subjectively of course, but ugh!) numerous times. An interesting place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there.

The experiences left me with the conclusion that the subjective sensation of moving toward bright light, meeting vastly more advanced beings, music that oscillates your very being, and a sense of cosmic one-ness and understanding are universal to humans in certain states of mind.

These experiences can feel VERY profound and real; I feel sorry for prescientific people or anyone else who doesn't realize that it's just the drug (including one's own neurotransmitters maxed to unusual extremes) and not malevolent forces messing directly with their minds.

How one interprets these experiences afterward depends largely on the preconceived notions of the individual.

If the Good Doctor takes his newfound interest and puts it through some scientific rigors, for example PET scan data from numerous subjects proving outside influence on brain processes rather than a common roster of neurological responses to hypoxia or other organic brain influence, I might entertain that he is on to something.

Right now, it is just an interesting story of his, and I have better stories of my own, thanks.

3   Tenpoundbass   ignore (15)   2012 Oct 9, 10:02pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (1)   quote   flag

Dan8267 says

Does my computer go to heaven when I turn it off?

Windows goes to hell and Apple computers goes to pony heaven by a babbling brook.

4   freak80   ignore (4)   2012 Oct 10, 12:55am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Automan Empire says

Ever had a panic attack? When I had one I felt like I was fundamentally disconnected from reality. It was like the difference between watching something on tv and actually being there. I wasn't sure if I had died or what. Which made it the experience even more terrifying for me.

Automan Empire says

An interesting place to visit, but wouldn't want to live there.

Just like California.

5   HonkpilledMaster   ignore (5)   2012 Oct 10, 1:21am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Automan Empire says

Word.

6   boldej   ignore (0)   2012 Oct 10, 2:47am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

The guy is trying to sell a book and has about as much credibility as any lowlife real estate agent.

7   freak80   ignore (4)   2012 Oct 10, 5:22am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

boldej says

That's the thing. Anyone can have a personal experience and claim it to be Divine Revelation.

Like Mohammed and Joseph Smith.

For example: I just had The Final Revelation of God (tm) last night. God says you must all send me $10,000 or you will burn in hell eternally. Do you believe me?

8   curious2   ignore (0)   2012 Oct 10, 6:25am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

freak80 says

I believe you left the TV on again, because I've seen that same commercial countless times. Pat Robertson made a fortune that way, and the Pope just bought a new dress, so apparently it works.