Please log in to view images

Best email solution?

By noobster follow noobster   2020 Jan 15, 7:02pm 275 views   6 comments   watch   nsfw   quote   share

Hi all,

Longtime lurker here; first thread started (I think)

I've been looking for a gmail alternative off and on for a couple months now. I'm curious what others here use.

Would like:
-supports domain name of my choosing
-allows multiple emails on that domain
-paying for service is fine
-not have to provide phone number
-something with staying power
-encrypted on their server

I saw fastmail mentioned somewhere, but it looks like you need to provide your phone number (I could use a $20 prepaid burner I guess)

Has anyone tried the Hillary method of email? Is it really as painful and unsafe as I've read?

Thanks
1   rd6B   ignore (1)   2020 Jan 15, 7:38pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

protonmail
2   Tenpoundbass   ignore (15)   2020 Jan 15, 9:49pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I have a domain, and pay for internet hosting with email.
It's everything. You got a private repository to store files and data on, and you have a place to build web apps for professional networking purposes.
If you're a professional in the tech industry that interviews for jobs at least once every three years. I highly recommend getting your own domain and all that goes with it. Like Email.
3   NuttBoxer   ignore (2)   2020 Jan 16, 5:33am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

There's also the option of hosting your own email server. Tutorials for Linux are common. Not unsafe at all if you take your time, and have good router rules to start with. But a personal server will only work for family/friends. You'd still need a commericial solution for business.
4   noobster   ignore (0)   2020 Jan 16, 2:41pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Hey TPB ,
If you don't mind saying, what company are you suggesting?

Tenpoundbass says
I have a domain, and pay for internet hosting with email.
5   noobster   ignore (0)   2020 Jan 16, 2:51pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

As I recall, with protonmail, you only get to use one email address per domain. Not ideal for a household.

rd6B says