Desktop recommendation

By Dholliday126 follow Dholliday126   2020 Jul 21, 9:22am 377 views   10 comments   watch   nsfw   quote   share

Anyone have a good cheap option for a desktop. Was thinking all in one with a 27 inch plus screen. Or maybe mini tower with monitor? It's mainly for cloud computing and google docs..

Thanks in advance.
1   APOCALYPSEFUCKisShostakovitch   ignore (60)   2020 Jul 21, 9:40am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

If you are a self-supporting user: Get a used iMac, not too old, and throw it on AppleCare - but don't use Safari. Run updtodate Firefox and you should be good to go for Web applications. For some reason, when I run CMS administrative page, only Firefox will work with all the pop-ups and tabbing schemes without stalling.

I call Apple support once a year or so and it gets me in order for $29 or whatever whenever they decide to charge me. Spouse about the same - but for some reason they've never ever charged her.

When I ran XP, I had two guys (one just for hardware) to help me and for a couple of laptops and a tower they seem to do well every quarter with one hair ball or another to untangle for me.
2   Blue   ignore (0)   2020 Jul 21, 10:31am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Try to install Ubuntu linux which is great and free.
3   ad   ignore (0)   2020 Jul 21, 10:59am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

You can get a renewed Windows 10 desktop by Dell or HP on Amazon for no more than $120. Get a monitor at Goodwill for less than $50 or connect it to your spare LCD tv like I do.

I agree with using Firefox.

4   rocketjoe79   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 21, 11:03am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Good and cheap aren't exclusive if you build it from parts.
For a pre-made, just get a Refurbished Dell. Deals all the time.

Just make sure you get an SSD for storage. Speed is king.

HP 27" monitors are awesome, but if you're not going to watch hi-res content on the screen, any cheapo monitor will do.
5   NoCoupForYou   ignore (3)   2020 Jul 21, 11:39am     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

My linux rig

fx8350 AMD OCTOCORE - brought several years ago, still unbelievably fast and great unless you need single thread for Gaming/Video Editing $150
16GB RAM (just shop for a good 2x8GB Deal on Ram: Newegg is good)
1TB Toshiba - $45 from amazon
AM3+ Motherboard from MSI - $120
NVIDIA Video Card - $150
Good Quality 600W Power - $100

Linux Mint - free

I have it all disassembled right now, but it's lasted me years and will last a few more at least
6   SunnyvaleCA   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 21, 1:13pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

NoCoupForYou says
My linux rig

If you're very specific about your components (and willing to go with Intel), you could have a fully functioning Macintosh Hacintosh for those prices. www.tonymacx86.com
7   EBGuy   ignore (1)   2020 Jul 21, 1:31pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Still a fan of the AMD Ryzen 3 & 5 series processors with integrated Vega GPUs (3200g & 3500g) . Stick 4 Gbytes of RAM on each memory channel and away you go. Now to get rid of that windows watermark...
8   prodigy   ignore (0)   2020 Jul 21, 1:45pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

Brazilian Marble, solid surface, one piece, no tiles...

Dholliday126 says
Anyone have a good cheap option for a desktop.
9   NoCoupForYou   ignore (3)   2020 Jul 21, 3:57pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

SunnyvaleCA says

I'll never be an Apple user, Sunnyvale.

I did build my rig ~5-6 years ago for no more than $800, and it still runs everything on the highest speeds, so I am getting my money's worth.

If somebody plays no games or does no editing, they can get away with a lot less.
10   clambo   ignore (5)   2020 Jul 22, 5:59pm     ↓ dislike (0)   quote   flag

I’m also a Linux fan, I had both Mac and Windows and I put Ubuntu Linux on an old Windows laptop and I loved it.

You can buy a new Dell with Linux on it already.

I don’t know if new is a requirement for you, but Linux seems to run faster so it rejuvenates a used Windows computer.

I’m a goodwill fan too, they might have what you need.