Opinions: How do you guys like the new rules so far?

Opinions: How do you guys like the new rules so far?

By Goran_K following x   2017 Dec 4, 8:32am 3,359 views   78 comments   watch   sfw   quote     share

Just wanted to ask the membership what they think of the new forum rules and the discussions 4 weeks in. My personal opinion is that it seems that there are far LESS outright back and forth troll wars and much more readable discussions from BOTH left or right posters. Some good contributions from jazz_music, Sniper, TwoScoops, and besides the random anon that will sometimes bust in for a troll comment, it's been pretty clean. I think this is working out pretty well.

Please any input appreciated from the membership.

Keep it clean and civil though. Thanks!
#PatNet

« First    « Previous     Comments 39 - 78 of 78     Last »

39   Goran_K   ignore (0)   2017 Dec 5, 6:35am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (9)     quote

Sorry you feel that way errrc.
40   errc   ignore (2)   2017 Dec 5, 6:55am   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Goran_K says
Sorry you feel that way errrc.

Well you don’t have to be a piece of shit. You can change
41   Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Dec 5, 7:09am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

YesYNot says
Somehow it was decided that ironman's post was fine, but this response is trolling or otherwise unworthy.

@YesYNot Sniper's response was not fine. I deleted it.

I'm going to make a special rule completely banning Sniper from using the word "you".
42   anon_d06f9   ignore (1)   2017 Dec 5, 7:09am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

@patrick - still waiting on a ruling for post #40 above.

As a further example of why ad hom and uncivil are not the same if I were to post:

"people who think like that are niggers"

Clearly uncivilized but not ad-hom. Is this acceptable, yes or no?
43   Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Dec 5, 7:13am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Patrick says

In fact, I'm losing it again with Sniper. Just blew away every comment he made that has "you" in it:

mysql> delete from comments where comment_content like '% you %' and comment_author=128155;
Query OK, 990 rows affected (3.45 sec)
44   Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Dec 5, 7:14am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

anon_d06f9 says
Clearly uncivilized but not ad-hom. Is this acceptable, yes or no?

Unpleasant, but not an attack on other users.
45   Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Dec 5, 7:26am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

Yes, I actually did that:

// sniper rule
if ((context.current_user.user_id == 128155) && post_data.comment_content.match(/you/)) post_data.comment_approved = 0
46   errc   ignore (2)   2017 Dec 5, 7:28am   ↑ like (7)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Patrick says

Query OK, 990 rows affected (3.45 sec)

Patrick, many of us have spent a lot of time on your site over the past twelve + years. I think you can at least give us the courtesy of a response, why have you allowed CiC/Ironman/Sniper to return?

You could better use Gorons time to zap Sniper everytime he comes back to troll the forum and harass the people that post here, rather than to selectively enforce his arbitrary rules by subjective opinions that all right wing crap flys here, while anything else must be silenced.
47   Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Dec 5, 7:37am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (10)     quote

Goran has been a good moderator.

The rule is simple and not arbitrary. Just don't deliberately personally attack the other users. Attack their points.
48   errc   ignore (2)   2017 Dec 5, 7:43am   ↑ like (5)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Patrick says
Goran has been a good moderator.

Yea but what is and what is not civil is purely subjective. So if you are a hard right halfwit, you will devolve to your tribal instincts and protect your tribe while attacking others.

It’s no coincidence, and was predictable as hell.

“Leftism....not even once. Ever” is not a healthy mantra of a fair and objective moderator of any politics forum
49   Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Dec 5, 8:01am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (8)     quote

Are you allowed to make your point?

Seems to me that you are.
50   anon_dab5f   ignore (0)   2017 Dec 5, 8:02am   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Patrick says

Query OK, 990 rows affected (3.45 sec)

Rather smacks of door, horse, bolted.
51   errc   ignore (2)   2017 Dec 5, 8:04am   ↑ like (6)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Patrick says
Are you allowed to make your point?

Seems to me that you are.

what if Goron doesn't like it?
52   Goran_K   ignore (0)   2017 Dec 5, 8:11am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (11)     quote

errc says

I've zapped Sniper's comments before. I've also zapped yours.

anonymous is about as leftist as anyone gets on PatNet, I've never had to zap any of his comments yet.

53   errc   ignore (2)   2017 Dec 5, 8:11am   ↑ like (8)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Goran_K says
errc says

I've zapped Sniper's comments before. I've also zapped yours.

Why have you never asked Sniper this same question?
54   Goran_K   ignore (0)   2017 Dec 5, 8:20am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (7)     quote

errc says
Why have you never asked Sniper this same question?

I've commented on Sniper threads asking HIM and the person he was going back and forth with to "knock it off" numerous times, then have deleted comments from him and that person. I don't see everything though, just like I don't see everything you post that gets through.

If you see a comment that you think is uncivil and trolling, tag me. I'll handle it.
55   Goran_K   ignore (0)   2017 Dec 5, 8:27am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (8)     quote

errc says
So answer my question for once, rather than avoiding it in your usual disingenuous Goron fashion

I'll be honest, for the stuff I've encountered personally, you've been a much bigger problem from a personal attack standpoint.
56   errc   ignore (2)   2017 Dec 5, 8:34am   ↑ like (8)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

Goran_K says
errc says

All I’m doing is mimicking Sniper. Funny how once the Sniper is aimed at you, then you don’t like it.

So long as it’s directed at a “librul”, you’re happy to see it continue.

Very telling

And you still haven’t answered the question

Very telling
57   anon_d29c1   ignore (0)   2017 Dec 5, 8:53am   ↑ like (0)   ↓ dislike (9)     quote

@Patrick is a Piece of Shit

Fuck Patrick

errc says
Yea i know goron, uncivil. Put it in comments jail so that others cannot see the truth, you halfwit simple simon motherfucker

errc says
Well you don’t have to be a piece of shit.

Welcome to the NEW Patrick.net

Patrick says
Just don't deliberately personally attack the other users.

Some users are more special than others.
58   Goran_K   ignore (0)   2017 Dec 5, 8:54am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (9)     quote

Then toss some racism and bigotry on top.

So I'm not the only one noticing it errc.
59   anon_39f0c   ignore (0)   2017 Dec 5, 9:04am   ↑ like (5)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

@patrick is there a reason why the anon post favorable to Goron is posted immediately while none of mine made all morning have been allowed through? They weren't the least bit uncivil either
60   Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Dec 5, 9:06am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (9)     quote

anon_ users should not expect much tolerance for snark, since they are in effect "hiding" and attacking users who are not hiding.
61   HappyGilmore   ignore (1)   2017 Dec 5, 9:07am   ↑ like (5)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Patrick says

Unless that snark is directed at Hillary.. Then it's all steam ahead.
62   HEYYOU   ignore (6)   2017 Dec 5, 9:41am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Patrick says
Just don't deliberately personally attack the other users.

Call out their hypocrisy. It's better than calling them RETARDS!
Retards are gonna be retards.
63   FNWGMOBDVZXDNW   ignore (2)   2017 Dec 5, 9:47am   ↑ like (7)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

Anonymous posters are cowardly pussies who are always hiding their identities. In contrast, I am very brave, so I post with my pseudonym.
64   errc   ignore (2)   2017 Dec 6, 7:43am   ↑ like (4)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

@patrick

I still dont't understand what is uncivil about this:

This is what must be censored lol
65   Patrick   ignore (0)   2017 Dec 6, 7:45am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (3)     quote

This is uncivil, being a direct attack on the character of another user:

your usual disingenuous Goron fashion
66   errc   ignore (2)   2017 Dec 6, 8:24am   ↑ like (5)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

This is uncivil, being a direct attack on the character of another user:

your usual disingenuous Goron fashion

Even though it's 100% true?

I thought you said its always important to speak the truth? How can i reword it so that you deem it civil enough to allow it to avoid being censored?

Are you not a little curious why he's never asked the same question to Sniper?

"Just keep it clean. Why can't you just say what you want to without bashing someone personally? That's all PatNet moderation is asking."

Everyone posting here, yourself included, knows that all the incivility stems from Sniper harassing everyone who isn't a far right winger. Does it not seem a little bit strange that Goron asks this question of me when all I'm doing is mimicking Sniper, yet he's never asked the same of (Sniper)by far the most egregious of offenders (you've said so yourself)
67   FNWGMOBDVZXDNW   ignore (2)   2017 Dec 6, 9:03am   ↑ like (3)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

This is uncivil, being a direct attack on the character of another user:

your usual disingenuous Goron fashion

I agree that calling Goran Goron is uncivil. However, Goran has been randomly calling everybody he disagrees with 'not iwog.' That is not literally an insult, but is meant to discredit the other poster and make it seem like the many who disagree with Goran are just one person with a grudge. That is also uncivil. I tried calling him 'not moron,' which is not literally an insult, but was obviously is meant as such. Of course that was deemed uncivil. When we probe the system like that, it's pretty clear that the hammer is biased. That's what errc is demonstrating, and is probably the source of a lot of snark following the choice to moderate. It would be nice if people could maintain the kind of civility that people normally use with face to face conversations while allowing for honest and free flow of ideas. That seems to be elusive, though. There needs to be a true move to civility rather than people dancing around some rules that are arbitrarily enforced. The moderator ought to be big enough to lead by example. The poster formerly known as ironman ought to just have all posts require approval by a moderator.

Also, there ought to be a way to post 'anonymously' without sacrificing privileges. Those posts should go up immediately and be moderated the same way that others are moderated. People could have the ability to ignore all anonymous if they want.
68   TwoScoopsPlissken   ignore (0)   2017 Dec 6, 9:04am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (6)     quote

-29 my ass. Coordinated Campaign to go into to Private Browsing and downvoting. Far more controversial threads have less votes over years.
69   TwoScoopsPlissken   ignore (0)   2017 Dec 6, 9:07am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (6)     quote

No, Cowardly Anons should not have privileges and up/down voting should require a login of some kind.

So many Anons are alleged former posters who can't stay away, so trying to guess who the masked villain really is isn't really uncivil.
70   errc   ignore (2)   2017 Dec 6, 9:27am   ↑ like (5)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

TwoScoopsMcGee says

In your opinion.

However, when one is disingenuous and dishonest as all hell, and their intent is malicious, then yes it’s absolutely uncivil.
71   FNWGMOBDVZXDNW   ignore (2)   2017 Dec 6, 9:44am   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (0)     quote

TwoScoopsMcGee says
-29 my ass

Anons only get one vote. @Patrick, do you know if these numbers are skewed as TwoScoops suggests?
Is it civil to call everyone posting as anon a cowardly villain?
72   errc   ignore (2)   2017 Dec 6, 10:07am   ↑ like (5)   ↓ dislike (1)     quote

How exactly in the fuck is "TwoScoopsMcGee" any less anonymous than anon_690833?

Patrick, Logan, and Iwog are the only posters i can recall breaking anonymity by offering up their gov name. Everyone else is an anonymous handle

Is TenPoundBass, TenOunceTrout, CaptainShuddup a cowardly villain for changing his handle multiple times?

For the life of me, I still can't fathom the importance of the screen name(aside from attaching preconceived notions to a message by emoting over the messenger). Have every post be sent from Tyler Durden, and then you've eliminated the ability for people to ignore the message, and attempt to discredit it by smearing the poster. This isn't a high school cafeteria, and I'm sorry yous weren't invited to the popular kids table at lunch.
73   mell   ignore (1)   2017 Dec 6, 10:13am   ↑ like (5)   ↓ dislike (5)     quote

errc says
Even though it's 100% true?

This is the dangerous truth by proclamation that Iwog practices. Let me tell you where I disagree with you:

errc says
Are you not a little curious why he's never asked the same question to Sniper?
errc says

You are not doing it in the same fashion. Sniper is more subtle about what you call "harassment" and while you may feel offended, he/she hasn't posted anything grossly uncivil lately, and if he/she got censored he/she moved on to their next comment without complaining. Now I will agree with you that the current spat you're having with Goran is certainly borderline as well and some of your posts should probably not be jailed (I wouldn't if I were moderator). However there were some that were verbally pretty strong in Iwog's fashion that are not even close to what Sniper is currently posting, even if the content of his/her posts may seem a nuisance to some at times.
74   mell   ignore (1)   2017 Dec 6, 10:22am   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (4)     quote

TwoScoopsMcGee says

In your opinion.

Although I think this is working reasonably well, I am still in favor of either no moderation or rotating moderators, i.e. term limits.
75   anon_6c2c3   ignore (0)   2017 Dec 6, 12:08pm   ↑ like (2)   ↓ dislike (5)     quote

errc says
All I’m doing is mimicking Sniper.

You are? Can you post the comments where he said this same thing and you're mimicking him:

anon_d29c1 says
@Patrick is a Piece of Shit

Fuck Patrick

errc says
Well you don’t have to be a piece of shit.

errc says
in your usual disingenuous Goron fashion

Is that acceptable civility?
76   Onvacation   ignore (1)   2017 Dec 6, 3:31pm   ↑ like (1)   ↓ dislike (6)     quote

FNWGMOBDVZXDNW says

I, for one, am happy that Iwog and Dan are no longer calling everyone stupid.

Patnet has been a place where people can express ideas and share information that is not readily available in the main stream media (whatever that means in 2017).

errc says

Nobody has to answer your questions and why would they want to when you ask so disrespectfully?

Argue ideas not personalities. Question sources instead of intelligence. Point out errors in logic rather than pointing out
errc says
when one is disingenuous and dishonest as all hell,

That's what ignore is for.

« First    « Previous     Comments 39 - 78 of 78     Last »